• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Too much personal information
1 1

160 posts in this topic

I can understand why many feel a concern, or excersise a certain restraint when putting oneself and or their family out there for all to see. But I refuse to live in fear and would rather foucs on the good in people then worry about those I cannot control.

Being open has got me where I am today, so to those who told me recently to stop pimping my daughter in the Holiday threads can kiss my backside. I pulled the Christmas photos because I just tire of it all and will just send them to those who sent her a gift.

rantrant

Happy Holiday's indeed.

I can understand why many feel a concern, or excersise a certain restraint when putting oneself and or their family out there for all to see. But I refuse to live in fear and would rather foucs on the good in people then worry about those I cannot control.

Being open has got me where I am today, so to those who told me recently to stop pimping my daughter in the Holiday threads can kiss my backside. I pulled the Christmas photos because I just tire of it all and will just send them to those who sent her a gift.

rantrant

Happy Holiday's indeed.

:o

Just to make sure Kenny, I wasn't even thinking of you in this series of posts. "pimping your daughter"? How stupid to even think such a thing. Like I said, it's a matter of personal comfort.

'Teckid27 made a good point. I can anticipate my girls being at a con with me in the near future. Not sure I would decline to post a pic of that here. The joy of a proud papa is pretty hard to contain. hm

Really, really wierd. I just had a deja vu. That was strange.

Well, anyways, back on topic, I've probably gone just beyong some people's line and stayed well behind other's.

For me, who I am is not a big secret to share, nor are pics of me and my family. That doesn't reall cross my personal line. I can respect others not doing so though. Usually, if I feel I want to share some personal stuff, I'll do so via PMs with members.

I worried a lot more having my daughter out playing around and greeting people comming to our garage sale this last summer. I couldn't help having to consider that anyone of those people could be some sexual predator and now knowing where my daughter lived. I actually tried to keep her inside as much as possible during the sale, but there were times I had to tend to her and the sale simultaniously.

Danger is all around us, and we always have to be weary whether online or not.

Count me into the guarded camp in regards to posting pics or sharing personal information here. There are too many kooks in the world, and in this hobby to be frank, that I don't need the hassle should one become predatory. It has nothing to do with living in fear. It's the prudent thing to do.

Take the DeeDee/D&S example. Wouldn't have happened in the way it did if this Board wasn't around. Now of course, they may have separately handled their problems another way regardless but if not for this Board, the situation would not have developed as it did...

In my job, I'm priviledged to see what can and cannot be obtained by a concerted computer search and what can be done with that information. I personally don't feel comfortable laying in all out there in regards to family and personal issues. Remember, at the end of the day we are all just screen names behind computers...and may not be the great people we seem across that divide...

Jim

Take the DeeDee/D&S example. Wouldn't have happened in the way it did if this Board wasn't around. Now of course, they may have separately handled their problems another way regardless but if not for this Board, the situation would not have developed as it did...

That is nothing but a wild assumption. It could have happened anywhere, a yoga class for example. Unfortunately for all involved, it occurred here.

rantrant

Happy Holiday's indeed.

I'm sorry to hear about this Kenny. :sorry:

I just want to thank the backstabbers from spoiling the fun.

I sensed something wrong in our last PM today. Now, I clearly see why. :pullhair:

That is nothing but a wild assumption. It could have happened anywhere, a yoga class for example. Unfortunately for all involved, it occurred here.

Sure...and if you read the rest of the paragraph I say so. Regardless, it happened here...

Jim

Sure...and if you read the rest of the paragraph I say so. Regardless, it happened here...

Jim

Yes, but to say the posting of those pictures on this board are responsible for that whole fiasco is reaching. Those pictures meant nothing. It was the desires behind the two individuals that created that situation.

Yes, but to say the posting of those pictures on this board are responsible for that whole fiasco is reaching. Those pictures meant nothing. It was the desires behind the two individuals that created that situation.

I think you're adding more into the comment than is there.

But to answer your question, what's the difference between those two's desires and some freek having a desire to contact someone's kid they've seen posted here (and this has nothing to do with you Ze-Man...just an example...)?

Jim

rantrant

Happy Holiday's indeed.

Anyone complaining about you posting pictures of your daughter can kiss mine as well.

rantrant

Happy Holiday's indeed.

Anyone complaining about you posting pictures of your daughter can kiss mine as well.

I agree. They can go fudgethemselves. rantrant

But to answer your question, what's the difference between those two's desires and some freek having a desire to contact someone's kid they've seen posted here (and this has nothing to do with you Ze-Man...just an example...)?

Jim

One is two consenting adults freely exchanging contact information and the other is a pedophile.

Jim

One is two consenting adults freely exchanging contact information and the other is a pedophile.

Well no kidding Doc...but the same thing applies...

There's an inherent safety found behind the Internet and Boards such as this. That makes people much too trusting in my opinion. When you actually meet someone, you can gauge them by their appearance, ticks, expressions, etc. That is missing from Boards such as this when words are the only gauge to determine whether someone is really who they seem to be behind the alias. It's impossible to know for sure and that why people should be more judacious in providing personal information...

Jim

Jim

Well no kidding Doc...but the same thing applies...

There's an inherent safety found behind the Internet and Boards such as this. That makes people much too trusting in my opinion. When you actually meet someone, you can gauge them by their appearance, ticks, expressions, etc. That is missing from Boards such as this when words are the only gauge to determine whether someone is really who they seem to be behind the alias. It's impossible to know for sure and that why people should be more judacious in providing personal information...

Jim

That I can agree with, however I am not sure that it follows your original post. Maybe you just used a bad example. Maybe we are arguing two different points. I know you want to keep your family safe, but you can't let that interfere with life. I mean first it is the Internet, next it is the yearbook and then the beach. Where does it end?

I know you want to keep your family safe, but you can't let that interfere with life.

It doesn't...and there's certainly no fear involved. Just controling somewhat what people know and don't know. Knowledge is indeed power and the more you can limit it while at the same time enjoying life, the better...

I mean first it is the Internet, next it is the yearbook and then the beach. Where does it end?

You aren't interacting on a daily basis with those examples like you do on the Internet. Most other media and situations you have more control. On an Internet chat board, some people may get the warped sense they can relate to me, you, whoever and take action on the desire.

And if someone wants to screw with me on the beach...well I'm pretty big strong guy and they'll surely regret the experience...

Jim

rantrant

Happy Holiday's indeed.

I agree. They can go fudgethemselves. rantrant

I'll grille their weenies over a hot coal flame to boot!