• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: Too much personal information
1 1

160 posts in this topic

Let me offer the following preface: I've only been here a few months and already feel a real sense of community. I can't wait to meet several of the people I've chatted with here in person. All of that said,

I get the real feeling that people most too much really personal information here. I only recently put up a photo of my wife and I. But I figured that anyone who was dedicated enough, not that anyone would be interested, could track down a photo of me by knowing my profession and location. However, I will not post pictures of my kids here. I may know you, the person reading this post, but I don't know that other guy reading this post. You know the one, the new member, the guest browsing, the creepy member I've never met.

I would encourage people to remember that posting here is not quiet nor confidential. It's akin to opening your window of a downtown apartment and screaming your information to the throngs of people below. Only magnify that by 10x. I can not fathom revealing some of the most intimate of details that people talk about here all the time.

I understand that people feel comfortable here and that this is a little community. Two caveats. First, what you say is here practically forever between CGC's server retention and Google's cache. It may never go away. Second, you don't know everyone reading your post.

I don't think my little post is going to dissuade anyone here from putting up a family shot of them and their kids or divulging that their wife just left them. I would just ask you to consider that there are members here who don't readily divulge specific books they are collecting for fear of having others get in a bidding war with them. Is your personal info any less important?

I couldn't agree more.

Chances are, there are deviants of some sort lurking on every large chat board. I won't post pictures of my kid for that very reason.

Moreover, I always scratch my head when people share embarrassing personal news or information in such a public way. These days, everyone from prospective employers to prospective significant others are Googling you as a matter of practice. I know of one case personally where someone torpedoed a good job opportunity because they had sexually suggestive photos on their MySpace page (along with a smoking a joint photo.) Sites like Archive.org will store web pages indefinately. :eek: What will your next girlfriend think when she happens to find your current tale of woe plastered all over a chat board?

hm

I have nothing to offer up to this post but utter agreement in spades!

Yet, the comical thing is, MANY on these boards will call you a SHILL or TROLL because you DON'T offer up "personal info" or commiserate with others at CGC forum diners...

I'm a pretty private person to begin with so odds are very long that I'd post pictures related to me on any board on the Internet and I wholly understand everyone's concern and respect it.

That said, I work in online media -- with stints in both content and commerce -- and something that has our head shaking is that people are nervous about using a credit card online but they'll willingly hand it over to people they've never met in restaurants, retail spots, etc.

In this case, I'm just curious what people fear more ... posting a picture of their kid on this board or taking their child to the local mall in front of hundreds of strangers who could easily follow anyone home?

Just curious and seeking some perspective ...

Well sadly some people do not have the friends, family and other outlets to vent and share their frustrations so many times they come to places like this where people have a mutual respect and there is a large since of community. I'm always glad to help people though issues they may have in their lives even if I do not know them that well. But everyone has to have a line that they wont cross when it comes to personal information and security. Everyone just needs to continue to be courtious and friendly but dont let that sense of community cause you to forget that your on the internet and let your guard down. Just be safe and use common sense.

I'm a pretty private person to begin with so odds are very long that I'd post pictures related to me on any board on the Internet and I wholly understand everyone's concern and respect it.

That said, I work in online media -- with stints in both content and commerce -- and something that has our head shaking is that people are nervous about using a credit card online but they'll willingly hand it over to people they've never met in restaurants, retail spots, etc.

In this case, I'm just curious what people fear more ... posting a picture of their kid on this board or taking their child to the local mall in front of hundreds of strangers who could easily follow anyone home?

Of course it would be easier to just follow someone home from the mall compared to trying to dig up someone's information. A lot of people have the habit of letting their guard down when they are in their home town but that is always a mistake. Nobody should spend their days paranoid but everyone should always have an eye out for anything suspicious.

I have been using the Internet for more than 10 years. I made some stupid mistakes the first few. But since then, I take a guarded, but reasonable approach to online posting. Pictures of me and my family are easy to find online. My name and the companies I founded or work for are easy to find.

However, my kids have had their pictures in the local paper, including their full name and elementary school. I have as well, along with my work with a local kids group. My name is in public court documents and all my personal information to go with it. I get solicitations from groups I never heard of, but they sure know me. My personal information (along with hundreds of others) was stolen from my dentist a year ago. My credit card was comprised from a restaurant about 5 years ago.

All I'm left with is common sense, but, apparently I lack much of it. So, here is a picture of my house, thanks Google...

49984-myhouse.jpg.2b550885cb900531ea1a87e230c6aa45.jpg

The old debate is shotgun v. handgun in home protection. I prefer to have both hanging around.

Thanks for your concern Transplant. I believe it to be a valid one.

In the meantime, post away!!

Of course it would be easier to just follow someone home from the mall compared to trying to dig up someone's information. A lot of people have the habit of letting their guard down when they are in their home town but that is always a mistake. Nobody should spend their days paranoid but everyone should always have an eye out for anything suspicious.

Absolutely and very well said. (thumbs u

I also think there's individuality at work here. Some people are comfortable with sharing every bit of themselves naturally, while others are hesitant. Same thing at work. I feel around here there's generally respect for all types of people and their boundaries.

We all have friends here that we share personal and private things with; however, I thought that is why we have the private messages system aka PMs.
Yet, you still paid me :takeit:

Moreover, I always scratch my head when people share embarrassing personal news or information in such a public way.

-----------------------

I was going to make some self-denigrating joke, but I realized whatever I put in would probably offend someone, so, in the spirit of Christmas (which was really embodied in my house last night as my wife and mother-in-law nearly stabbed eachother with steak knives during the usual holiday fight...) I will lay off.

oops! I revealed too much!

Couldn't agree more Doc. PMs are like emails which are like having one on one conversations (if you ignore the risk of being hacked). I'm not discouraging folks from posting whatever they like here. I just think everyone needs to consider the fact that this is not a private or even semi-private place.

Unlike Question, I'm much more likely to talk about personal details when I'm conversing face to face. There's just less risk involved. A good point was made that different people have different boundaries. I just wanted to throw this out there since many people are quick to hit send on a post.

Eh. I feel the positives outweigh the negatives. Sure, we could hole up in a cave and only give pseudonyms, but the information is still out there. Heck, a newspaper article on my family revealed their full names, birthdate, city, and even my wife's name, birthdate and year. Easier even still to track us from the mall (people know us now) or to raid our mailbox or such.

I feel absolute security (or even anything remotely secure) is just an illusion. Take all the waiting and security checks at airports, or even putting deadbolts on front doors. If someone really wanted to do something, those measures wouldn't be enough. All I guess we can prevent is the casual crook - make them work a bit to trackdown the info or break into your house.

So I pick a middle ground - share what I want without being too blatant about it. :)

Just found out yesterday my cousin carries a concealed (permitted) gun every time he takes his family to the mall...At least he didn't feel it was necessary to wear it yesterday's family Christmas gathering!