• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd String DC Sci-Fi
1 1

1,249 posts in this topic

This thread needs a little love...

Here is a nice copy of MGA #13. Great cover by Leonard Starr who did all too few sci-fi work for DC (he is best known for his long running newspaper strip: "On Stage with Mary Perkins". Also in this issue are some top-notch stories by

Ruben Moreira and a cool robot story by Nick Cardy.

MGA_13.jpg

Edited by AtlasFan

About time this thread got a bump! I love those early run MGA's, before they really got into the sci-fi/aliens stuff. At first the series had a nice unique focus.

Yup, early in the series, al the strories were from the "first person" point of view.

Notice that all the stories in this issue began with "I"..."I was a Knight in the 20th century", "I marries Lady Luck", "I hunted Goliath the Robot".

Bill

MGA # 28/[/img] target="_blank">MGA # 12

MGA # 6 MGA  # 7/

I RECENTLY DISCOVERED THIS THREAD AND THOUGHT I WOULD JOIN THE FUN. I'VE COLLECTED AND ENJOYED THESE TITLES FOR MANY YEARS.

ATLASFAN YOU HAVE A GREAT COLLECTION. THOUGHT I WOULD POST SOME OF MY FAVORITES AND SOME NOT SHOWN YET.

I RECENTLY DISCOVERED THIS THREAD AND THOUGHT I WOULD JOIN THE FUN. I'VE COLLECTED AND ENJOYED THESE TITLES FOR MANY YEARS.

ATLASFAN YOU HAVE A GREAT COLLECTION. THOUGHT I WOULD POST SOME OF MY FAVORITES AND SOME NOT SHOWN YET.

Many thanks Rick...Nice #6 you have there! Its one of the few MGAs I do not have...yet!

Bill

Edited by AtlasFan

OVERSTREET LISTS HOM #68 AS THE ONLY ISSUE WITH JOE MANEELY ARTWORK. AS SOME MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW, JOE SPENT A SHORT TIME WITH DC UNTIL HIS UNTIMELY DEATH. HE PRODUCED SOME VERY GOOD QUALITY ARTWORK IN SEVERAL HOM ISSUES. HERE IS THE STORY FROM HOM # 68.

HOM 68 SPLASH

HOM 68  PG2

HOM 68  PG3

HOM 68  PG4

HOM

HOM 68  PG6s/

NOW, HAVING SHOWN THE ARTWORK FROM HOM # 68, HERE IS THE SPLASH AND COVER FOR HOM # 73.

LOOK CLOSELY AT THE ART FOR THE COVER! MANEELY DID THE ARTWORK FOR THE STORY. I AM POSITIVE ITS HIS COVER ARTWORK ALSO.

IS THIS AN ALREADY KNOWN FACT??

IF THE COVER OF #73 IS NOT MANEELY, WHO IN THE DC "BULLPEN" COULD DRAW IN THIS STYLE? IT'S DEFINITELY NOT MOREIRA , ELY, MESKIN OR PURCELL. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

HOM 73

HOM 73  SPLASH

THIS ISSUE OF MGA IS ONE OF THE MOST DIFFICULT TO FIND IN DECENT GRADE (FINE OR BETTER). THE DARK PURPLE JUST MAGNIFIES EVERY MINOR DEFECT. THIS COPY TOOK ME MANY YEARS TO FIND.

MGA30.jpg

True it is quite rare in HG...here is my copy.

MGA_30.jpg

This kind of has some elements of a wash-tone, dont you think?

Bill

Edited by AtlasFan

NOW, HAVING SHOWN THE ARTWORK FROM HOM # 68, HERE IS THE SPLASH AND COVER FOR HOM # 73.

LOOK CLOSELY AT THE ART FOR THE COVER! MANEELY DID THE ARTWORK FOR THE STORY. I AM POSITIVE ITS HIS COVER ARTWORK ALSO.

IF THE COVER OF #73 IS NOT MANEELY, WHO IN THE DC "BULLPEN" COULD DRAW IN THIS STYLE? IT'S DEFINITELY NOT MOREIRA , ELY, MESKIN OR PURCELL. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

HOM73MANEELY.jpg

HOM73SPLASH.jpg

Thats Joe Maneely trying to do the "DC House Style". I believe that the few stories that Joe did for DC were freelanced shortly after the "Atlas Implosion".

Very different style than his Atlas stuff, but you can still see the artist's brilliance shining through. The #73 is actually a very rare issue in HG. Nice copy!

Bill

Two really nice copies of MGA 30!

Can't remember if HOM and HOS are included in this thread. I think they are...

Just got this one in:

HOM52.jpg

Two really nice copies of MGA 30!

Can't remember if HOM and HOS are included in this thread. I think they are...

Just got this one in:

HOM52.jpg

That's an interesting and usually over-looked cover.

MGA Adv has gorgeous colors but, in spite of the highlights on the foreground figure, I wouldn't call it a greytone.

MGA30.jpg

HOM73MANEELY.jpg

HOM73SPLASH.jpg

Thats Joe Maneely trying to do the "DC House Style". I believe that the few stories that Joe did for DC were freelanced shortly after the "Atlas Implosion".

Very different style than his Atlas stuff, but you can still see the artist's brilliance shining through. The #73 is actually a very rare issue in HG. Nice copy!

Bill

I've always considered Maneely to be the cover artist for that issue. It's very interesting to see him operating under the DC house rules as opposed to the looser style he employed at Atlas.