• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,137 posts in this topic

For those who don't already have this reference book in their collection, I'd heartily recommend Ed Hulse's Blood 'N' Thunder Guide to Pulp Fiction. It provides a excellent overview of the pulp's rise as an inexpensive provider of popular fiction in the first half of the 20th century and the tweaking that publishers did in trying to second guess the public's taste.

While primarily focusing on the evolution of pulps by genre, the Blood 'N' Thunder Guide also covers competition for circulation between editors & publishers, the writers who submitted stories (from hacks to the legends), cover art, format size, trim, etc. IMO, this is a superb general history book for aspiring pulp collectors.

Most folks reading this thread may already own this (it's been around awhile), so I may be preaching to the choir. Also, there are other great reference books on pulps that shouldn't be overlooked that are more genre specific (SF, western, crime, adventure, etc.). While not a price guide, the B&TGTPF should be useful for collectors trying to sort the wheat from the chaff and seeking a little practical advice to assist in their hunt.

It's also a very good read. (thumbs u

Great info for those of us new to pulp collecting! (thumbs u

here's the last three Doc Savage pulps

Those are some beauties, Hap! The late pulp-format issues of both Doc and the Shadow seem to be, if not scarce, at least high demand, the Docs in particular.

Edited by OtherEric

Hi all - I know nothing at all about pulps. Got a bunch of my dads old comics about 10 years ago and there were these books with them. I have them in a box somewhere. I know you can't see all of them - but I took this shot like 8 years ago and just dug it up.

DSC00522_1.jpg

I checked a big one off my list! The July 1925 Weird Tales contains the first published work by Robert E. Howard, a story called Spear and Fang.

Thanks to Matthew for making it happen.

Weird%252520Tales%252520Vol%2525206%252520No%2525201%252520Jul%2525201925.jpg

Congrats we should look that good at ninety!

These were also in the Pep Stories box

girlymagazinelot_zpsjja3bazz.jpg

Geez Louise you could have led with the pinup books first, Bob! Are we not men? Do we not...you know?

Not that Pep Stories aren't that. And Gay Parisienne. But Titters are later, I think, and to me, portray a more iconic pinup style.

PETER DRIBEN RULES

Edited by Dr. Love