• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,117 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2017 at 9:18 AM, RedFury said:

Love this one! :luhv:

Saucy Movie Tales, Nov 1936

Cover by Saunders

E9QVHCDh.jpg

Wow, saucy is an understatement. If they thought comics were corrupting the morals of teenage boys, I can only imagine what they thought when this cover hit the newsstand!

Great pulp!

On March 4, 2017 at 11:18 AM, RedFury said:

Love this one! :luhv:

Saucy Movie Tales, Nov 1936

Cover by Saunders

E9QVHCDh.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what that top is that she's wearing.  Don't think I've ever seen one of those before but I'll keep on the lookout from now on...

Edited by Randall Dowling

15 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I'm trying to figure out what that top is that she's wearing.  Don't think I've ever seen one of those before but I'll keep on the lookout from now on...

I believe they call it a "ribbon." And it's a very small one...

11 hours ago, Matthew42383 said:

Keep showing pictures of pretty girls on pulps and I might have to stop selling my pulp collection.

To think 95% of those painting ended up in the trash. So sad.

It's a tragedy they got trashed :( I would love to visit a museum that displayed these Modern Art classics.

This run has some awesome covers, including this incredible Virgil Finlay.

WbnkonK.jpg

16 minutes ago, RedFury said:

Nice covers.  Finlay was really good.

I see one of those has a story by C.S. Forester.  He wrote the Horatio Hornblower novels, which I read years ago and really enjoyed.

I haven't read any of the Hornblower novels (the made for TV movies were great watching), but I know they were the inspiration for Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series, which I have read and loved.

Also the inspiration for Star Trek.  Roddenberry pitched the show (and Captain Kirk) as "a space-age Horatio Hornblower".  And Nicholas Meyer, who wrote and/or directed Star Trek II, IV, and VI saw them as Hornblower in space as well.

On 3/6/2017 at 9:45 PM, Randall Dowling said:

GGA comic art has nothing on this.  SAUCY!!

20 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I'm a sucker for this cover. Probably because I have a nice shadow comics 4 that swipes it. I drooled over detective35's copy. 

image_zpsjkzknu16.jpg

Absolutely a classic!  Congrats