• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,116 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

You're over-representing Science-Fiction in your count.

Without counting bi-weekly and weekly series or Quarterlies differently, just the titles, in that month, there were 149 different pulp titles published. Only 4 were Science-Fiction: Amazing, Astounding, Marvel Science Stories and Thrilling Wonder Stories. That's it.

The actual breakdown of the market at that time period is:

Genre # %
Western 35 24%
Detective 34 23%
Romance 19 13%
Sports 18 12%
Adventure 17 12%
Aviation 10 7%
Mystery 8 6%
Miscellaneous 4 3%
Science-Fiction 4

3%

So, Western and Detective ruled the roost as seen in the photo.

Wow. Thanks.

I was trying to see how some of the more “spicy” titles were placed on a newsstand back then too.

Edited by N e r V

3 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Wow. Thanks.

I was trying to see how some of the more “spicy” titles were placed on a newsstand back then too.

They were often sold under/behind the counter.  You had to ask for them.

12 minutes ago, RedFury said:

They were often sold under/behind the counter.  You had to ask for them.

Right. None of the 4 spicy on sale that month are seen in the photo.

FWIW, the 4 spicy pulps on sale that month were: Spicy Detective, Spicy Mystery, Spicy Western and Spicy Adventure, which is right in line with the top market share genres to the exception of Romance and Sports. There should have been a Spicy Romance but it did not happen. Wrong intended market I guess.

For whatever reason, it was the Science Fiction fans that held onto their magazines rather than throw them away when they were done reading them; or at least it was a lot more common than the other genres.  So the SF books have a much higher survival rate than the others in general.  Certainly I see more SF pulps turn up in the wild than everything else put together.

Part of that may be the SF books actually kept running much longer than the other pulps after switching over to digests.  I also think SF, in general, was far more likely to have a sequel appear out of nowhere years down the line so there might be more reason to keep the older issues for reference.

Today's incoming book.  A bit subdued as Brundage covers go, and the Lovecraft story is one of the collaborations published under the other writer's name.

Still, I have to consider a book with first appearance of both Brundage and Lovecraft work a fairly major addition to the collection:

Weird_Tales_1940_11.jpg

And, since people seem to be in a mood for Bok this week (and who can blame them?), here's a few other pieces.

From the reprint of "The Cats of Ulthar" in Fantastic Novels for January 1951:

Fantastic_Novels_1951_01_cats_1.jpg

Fantastic_Novels_1951_01_cats_2.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
typo

And I've posted the cover before, so I'll throw in an interior illustration as well.  They're both from the story "The Alien Vibration", which was the first professional story published by... Hannes Bok.  He wasn't a terribly prolific writer, but he had a fair number of stories published.

Future_1942_02.jpg

Future_1942_02_Alien_Vibration.jpg