• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,117 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Scrooge said:

I am not familiar with them either. I'll have to look them up.

Your post reminded me of this photo I snagged off the internet a long time ago with some FA Quarterlies in great shape -

FQs1.jpg

:ohnoez:

You are my bestest friend ever :foryou:

Those are very cool.  I have (or had) the black cover.

This one is really underrated, I think.  The Finlay covers don't get the attention the Brundage covers do; but I really do think Finlay is the better artist.  So when Finlay does a Brundage-esque cover, it's really something special.  (I really want to get the Sea-Witch cover sooner rather than later, for that matter.)

Inside, there are two Lovecraft stories- one first appearance anywhere, and one first pro publication, having first shown up in a fanzine.  And another Howard poem.

Weird_Tales_1938_02.jpg

And in this week, a trio of Doc Savage digests.  The last one is the first of the brief run where they rebranded the book as "Doc Savage Science Detective".

Unlike the Shadow, where the Bruce Elliot Shadow stories are at best poorly regarded, I think the last 2-3 years of Doc Savage it was really an excellent magazine, with some of the best Doc Savage stories Lester Dent ever did.  And there's a lot of good backup stories, most notably a lot by John D. MacDonald, one of my favorite writers.

Doc_Savage_Dec_1946.jpg

Doc_Savage_Apr_1947.jpg

Doc_Savage_Oct_1947.jpg

Edited by OtherEric
Images added. Oops!

12 hours ago, OtherEric said:

And in this week, a trio of Doc Savage digests.  The last one is the first of the brief run where they rebranded the book as "Doc Savage Science Detective".

Unlike the Shadow, where the Bruce Elliot Shadow stories are at best poorly regarded, I think the last 2-3 years of Doc Savage it was really an excellent magazine, with some of the best Doc Savage stories Lester Dent ever did.  And there's a lot of good backup stories, most notably a lot by John D. MacDonald, one of my favorite writers.

Doc_Savage_Dec_1946.jpg

Doc_Savage_Apr_1947.jpg

Doc_Savage_Oct_1947.jpg

Always like to see what you're adding to your pretty amazing collection. Where are you getting all these - eBay?

eBay is one source.  Abebooks is another, that’s where the Doc issues turned up.  KAYO books in San Francisco always has something when I get down to visit my sister.  Most comic cons have at least a few.  And some local bookstores get some in now and then.

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

the connection to Marvel comics seems to mean people grab it quickly.

Certainly the L. Ron Hubbard piece on Dianetics makes it fly fast as well, if not more than the Marvel connection. Great book.

That's almost certainly why that issue seems to be scarcest of the revival run, at least.  Took me ages to find the Dianetics issue of Astounding at a price I was willing to pay, given my massive disinterest in the subject... but I did want the issue for my run of the Campbell Astoundings.

On a totally different subject, this one arrived today.  Key point of interest is a never-reprinted Harlan Ellison story, but now that it's in hand I discover that I really like the cover by Emsh as well:

Super-Science_Fiction_1958_10.jpg

Got a handful of pulps in today, some of the highlights.  Low grade, but dirt cheap:

Let's start with a Finlay cover.  And I've wanted to read "The Yellow Sign" for quite a while, just hadn't tracked it down before.

FFM_1943_09.jpg