• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,116 posts in this topic

Being the owner of a number of rescue pets that dogs head drew me to that cover at first but after carefully viewing the artwork that is a very appealing drawing of a woman. 

I saw that cover long ago in some book on pulps and have grown to enjoy it more each year.

After seeing what some people have for picks with books which in some cases are choices that I wouldn’t have thought of it might be a worthy thread for people posting their own top 10 covers.

In 2013 I believe I was with friends at the SDCC on preview night and one of my friends went over to one of the more obscure booths. We finally went looking for him and he walked over with a small box of pulps. He had made an offer and purchased the guys entire box of pulps for an average price of under $10.00 each. I think the highest he had priced in the box was only $15.00 or $20.00 anyway. This was about 35 pulps in total I believe. There were 7 copies of Double Detective that were all fine or above. The rest were Spicy Adventure, Saucy Movie and other assorted cheesecake pulps. The worst in the lot was probably VG/FN. Most were Fine or higher. I remember being in complete disgust because that 4th one down posted by RedFury Saucy Movie Tales March was in there in probably Very Fine condition and although I am a novice at best with the “cheesecake” pulps I knew and coveted that cover for years since I saw it reproduced in a book or magazine.

My friend just looked at us and said I’m done for tonight let’s go eat....:pullhair:

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:12 AM, N e r V said:

It is safe to say though that the Black Hush cover is a classic cover and one that’s been popular and used for many years for reproduction regardless if anyone feels its a top 10 or not.

I think the Black Hush cover is a top ten.  :cloud9:

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, RedFury said:

I'm in an all-day meeting, but I'll pop in here long enough to post this, my current favorite cover in my collection. :)

Spicy Adventure Stories, Jun 1935

Cover by Harry Lemon Parkhurst

pplF2s9h.jpg

A wonderful cover, RedFury, and one you never see. There are better known covers, certainly, but you encounter them more frequently I think.

This is unique in that the girl is fighting back! So many times they are helpless victims, and while she is certainly besieged, she's got plenty of fight in her! 

And while I love Ward, I think this Parkhurst is so very painterly.  :x

19 hours ago, RedFury said:

Wow, it's tough to narrow down 10.  But here's my 10 favorite covers at the moment from my collection.

MRprfDFl.jpgii9L5Xsl.jpgyT4gwwJl.jpgPs4F1pAl.jpgpplF2s9l.jpgttSaMkcl.jpgKavoV6Nl.jpgdmVe44fl.jpgYBvVgiBl.jpgwWBGpFml.jpg

Wow... what's not to like about this group?

The vampire cover to Weird Tales was one I was going to mention if no one posted it - it's a real strong candidate for a universal top ten. Another is the Dime Mystery by Baumhofer where the old lady is sewing the guy's mouth shut. I like that you have a Baumhofer, who should not be overlooked for any top ten list, and it's a western to boot - they can't all be horror pulps! Not with how enduring and popular the westerns were. The Magic Carpet is another that I think would have consensus. It's so well known and deservedly so. Bergey and headlights? You can't go wrong. And that Black Mask Klan cover is so, so tough and justly terrifying. Very effective.

Edited by PopKulture

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, Robot Man said:

When I think of my favorite pulp covers, these come to mind first up, right away.

pulpstrangedetective.jpg

I love all the ones you posted, Robot Man, but this is one of the more gruesome and representative of the shudder pulps that I think could easily dominate many people's lists.

What's tough about making a list in general is of course representing all the genres. A sci-fi nut could choose ten Gernsback covers and be pretty darn justified; same for Weird Tales or the Saucy's or Spicy's.

I guess the same goes for comics though - once you get past your superheros (Detective 31, More Fun 54, Superman 14) individual tastes really come into play. Are you a Cole coveter or a Schomburg nut? Are you one of Baker's rabid devotees or a fossil like me that still oozes love for Raboy? Heck, the fact that Four Color 64 62 isn't listed as a classic while every newly discovered PCH is thusly considered is just nuts. Like I said, individual tastes n all...

Edited by PopKulture

20 hours ago, RedFury said:

Wow, it's tough to narrow down 10.  But here's my 10 favorite covers at the moment from my collection.

ii9L5Xsl.jpgyT4gwwJl.jpgwWBGpFml.jpg

Hey RedFury, have you been collecting pulps for a while, or are you a fairly recently convert? The reason I ask is that so many of your gems were featured in the Robinson/Davidson book that I wonder if that to some extent shaped your collecting interests? I had a conversation with several paperback collectors recently about the first few price guides by Hancer and later Warren shaping our burgeoning collector tastes in much the same way. All of us are close in age, and to the person, we all started out trying to get as many of the books pictured in the color section as we could, so its effect on our collecting tastes can't really be understated.

Of course, the counter argument to the influence of books and guides would be a sort of "the cream rises to the top" angle where anyone in that field is going to soon recognize certain consensus works, whether it's crime fiction or jazz music. 2c

5 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Hey RedFury, have you been collecting pulps for a while, or are you a fairly recently convert? The reason I ask is that so many of your gems were featured in the Robinson/Davidson book that I wonder if that to some extent shaped your collecting interests? I had a conversation with several paperback collectors recently about the first few price guides by Hancer and later Warren shaping our burgeoning collector tastes in much the same way. All of us are close in age, and to the person, we all started out trying to get as many of the books pictured in the color section as we could, so its effect on our collecting tastes can't really be understated.

Of course, the counter argument to the influence of books and guides would be a sort of "the cream rises to the top" angle where anyone in that field is going to soon recognize certain consensus works, whether it's crime fiction or jazz music. 2c

I started with pulps in the early to mid 90s, but I really started focusing on them around 2010 so the bulk of my collection has been acquired since then.  I don't have the Pulp Culture book, but I do have a few other pulp books like Pulp Art by Lesser, and books about Brundage, St John, Baumhofer and Saunders.  And I've got Doug Ellis' Uncovered about the girlie pulps, and the new Art of the Pulps by Ellis, Hulse, et al.  But really I think the Internet has had the most influence.  With auctions, pulp review sites, Facebook groups, this forum here, and reference sites, I've been able to see so much cool stuff that my wantlist and wallet can't keep up!

47 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Wow... what's not to like about this group?

The vampire cover to Weird Tales was one I was going to mention if no one posted it - it's a real strong candidate for a universal top ten. Another is the Dime Mystery by Baumhofer where the old lady is sewing the guy's mouth shut. I like that you have a Baumhofer, who should not be overlooked for any top ten list, and it's a western to boot - they can't all be horror pulps! Not with how enduring and popular the westerns were. The Magic Carpet is another that I think would have consensus. It's so well known and deservedly so. Bergey and headlights? You can't go wrong. And that Black Mask Klan cover is so, so tough and justly terrifying. Very effective.

Thanks.  I tried to spread out my choices to include multiple artists and genres.  I could easily have done 10 Brundage, Saunders, or Paul covers, or all Sci-Fi or Hero, but I tried to make it representative.

1 hour ago, PopKulture said:

I love all the ones you posted, Robot Man, but this is one of the more gruesome and representative of the shudder pulps that I think could easily dominate many people's lists.

What's tough about making a list in general is of course representing all the genres. A sci-fi nut could choose ten Gernsback covers and be pretty darn justified; same for Weird Tales or the Saucy's or Spicy's.

I guess the same goes for comics though - once you get past your superheros (Detective 31, More Fun 54, Superman 14) individual tastes really come into play. Are you a Cole coveter or a Schomburg nut? Are you one of Baker's rabid devotees or a fossil like me that still oozes love for Raboy? Heck, the fact that Four Color 64 isn't listed as a classic while every newly discovered PCH is thusly considered is just nuts. Like I said, individual tastes n all...

Yeah, this one might be my favorite or very close to it. I don't read a lot of them but I had to on this one. Story is this guy picks up homeless or street people, maims them in some way and sends them back on the street to panhandle for him. VERY graphic and twisted. The other ones I always read are Spider pulps. Just great, twisted, well written stories.

I get what you are saying about collector tastes. Unfortunately, mine really run the gammut. I have examples of just about every title, artist and genre in my collection. And that ain't even all my "other collections". Hard to find a comic I don't like...

hi guys :hi:

ive never read a "pulp" and a friend of mine has a pulp Fantastic Adventures Vol 13 Number 12 has anyone read this or know if its any good? i like EC and PCH if that helps.

thanks 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Raze