• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,117 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I'm taking your advice on this one, Pat.  Looking forward to it:

Fantastic_Adventures_1950_02.jpg

Hope no one minds my posting Rowena's original PB cover art to Ted Sturgeon's The Dreaming Jewels in this thread...

image_zpsfulwkl9o.jpeg

It wasn't on a pulp, but Rowena Morrill's oil painting for the paperback effectively creates a haunting mood.

11 minutes ago, RedFury said:

My favorite find from Pulpfest is this stunning copy of the October 1936 issue of Secret Agent X.  I can't believe how nice it is.  It looks like it was printed yesterday.

h1KUHEEh.jpgeNoTAbWh.jpgansIljNh.jpgl60ZbfRh.jpgQDRWSJAh.jpg

That is beyond great. That title I usually see in VG/FN. Not often above.

13 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Today's book.  I think this one is probably the highlight of the 6-issue revival run; with a Bok cover and Bradbury and Asimov providing stories.

Marvel_Science_3_5.jpg

OK, but what is the Vance story?

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

Dover Spargill's Ghastly Floater I believe.

Correct, now that I'm home to verify. 

Just don't ask about the Leiber or Pratt stories, because they don't have actual stories.  They contribute short essays instead.

Edited by OtherEric

3 hours ago, RedFury said:

Western Story Magazine, Sep 3 1932

Cover by Walter Baumhofer

Another Pulpfest find, this was in a lot of 10 1932 issues in the Saturday night auction.  This is one of my favorite pulp covers, and I've been looking for a nice copy for a long time.  Score!

2DKiLIWh.jpg

Great colors against the black.  Seems so simple with just the figure but it is a eye-grabbing piece.  Cool stuff as usual, Todd!

3 hours ago, RedFury said:

Western Story Magazine, Sep 3 1932

Cover by Walter Baumhofer

Another Pulpfest find, this was in a lot of 10 1932 issues in the Saturday night auction.  This is one of my favorite pulp covers, and I've been looking for a nice copy for a long time.  Score!

2DKiLIWh.jpg

Love the baumhofer look. His Doc Savage rendition and covers are very sweet. Reminds me of some earlier leyendecker artwork. Without being crass could you give us an idea on how pulps are pricing. Are westerns tough to get?

3 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Love the baumhofer look. His Doc Savage rendition and covers are very sweet. Reminds me of some earlier leyendecker artwork. Without being crass could you give us an idea on how pulps are pricing. Are westerns tough to get?

Westerns in general from the 40s and 50s are common and cheap ($2 to $20 each).  This title from the early 30s is scarcer, and this issue in particular has eluded me.  I paid $210 for the lot of 10 issues (all above average copies of Western Story Magazine from 1932), but I just wanted this one issue.  After the auction I sold off 4 of the other copies, so I've offset some of my cost.  If I sell the other 5 issues, so much the better!