• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,256 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2024 at 9:36 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

A late classic cover in nice shape

Paid a decent amount but I’ve been looking for a high grade copy for some time and haven’t been able to get one. 

IMG_8245.jpeg

That’s a pretty one Rick! Was that at Pulpalooza? 

Posted (edited)

Not a series I would normally post here... but it contains Robert A. Heinlein's last short story, done for a two page add for Hoffman Electronics:

Scientific American 1962 09.jpg

Although Heinlein continued to write for decades after this, he stuck to novels from here on out.

Edited by OtherEric

On 6/7/2024 at 9:00 PM, comicjack said:

Nice copy she is a ten in the witch department (thumbsu

It's such an awesome cover. I know it's a fairly common book and feels a bit overexposed lately, but I fell in love with the color strike on this copy and went for it.  

On 6/7/2024 at 6:16 PM, Point Five said:

It's such an awesome cover. I know it's a fairly common book and feels a bit overexposed lately, but I fell in love with the color strike on this copy and went for it.  

Indeed a common issue. I have owned many over the years. Went under the radar for so long. But one of my favorite pulps. Definitely falls into the “classic cover” category for me. 

Posted (edited)

Ok, not a book but I watched a flick I had dvr'd on TMC (Saturday at midnight you're guaranteed a good one!) That had a great pulp reference!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Follow_Me_Quietly

image.png.fdf93d6ae409ab54fc98aed1cf2bb37e.png

From wiki:

"At the crime scene, police find a pulp magazine. Gorman believes the magazine was sold at second-hand bookstores with no back issues. They question several bookstores, and one bookstore manager identifies the man as a frequent customer, who is middle-aged and smokes cigarettes."

It's a great few minutes, a woman even goes into how they are sold and what the stars on them mean. Only an hour long, not my favorite but a decent movie!

Edited by pmpknface

My father's small claim to fame was he was an extra in Tora Tora Tora.  They were filming in Hawaii and they paid sailors a few bucks to run around a ship as it was getting attacked.  One of the pyrotechnics, a coffee can with explosives, went off next to him as he was running around the boat, and a chief threw him into the ocean, probably saving his life.  He suffered severe burns on his chest and face and had to spend months in a hospital.  He still had scarring on his face decades later.  

Heh heh, I think waaaghboss gave you a nice heads up on the need to send that message :D

I don't send the proactive note every time, but I sure will on a particularly pricey or even just a prized book.  Unfolded tabloids get that message every time.  The first time I got one that had been unfolded for 80 or 90 years and it showed up folded into a flimsy envelope that was then squeezed in my mailbox was the last, but I did get burned on a slick last year I wasn't proactive on.   I'm even happy to help out a seller with some extra shipping/packaging monies if I'm asking for more than they were expecting.  I don't care if it's on a slow boat from China, just pack it right.  I'm not a high end collector, and sometimes a ten dollar purchase will be of literally a one of a kind object.  It getting to me in the condition I found it can be worth ten times more to me than monetary value.

Most of the time on the cheap common stuffs I buy, though, I just roll with it.  The way paperbacks often arrive is crazy, but at least they have their size going for them. 

I sent a Charlton today with my usual method for comics or mags - a stiff mailer where the book is fixed to the center of a not too tight cardboard sandwich that's an inch wider than the comic on all sides.  The shipping materials were worth more than the comic, but I dare the mailman to mess it up (no I don't, jinx jinx jinx).  *makes offering to the gods of parcel safety* (worship)

On 6/10/2024 at 10:52 PM, Darwination said:

Heh heh, I think waaaghboss gave you a nice heads up on the need to send that message :D

I don't send the proactive note every time, but I sure will on a particularly pricey or even just a prized book.  Unfolded tabloids get that message every time.  The first time I got one that had been unfolded for 80 or 90 years and it showed up folded into a flimsy envelope that was then squeezed in my mailbox was the last, but I did get burned on a slick last year I wasn't proactive on.   I'm even happy to help out a seller with some extra shipping/packaging monies if I'm asking for more than they were expecting.  I don't care if it's on a slow boat from China, just pack it right.  I'm not a high end collector, and sometimes a ten dollar purchase will be of literally a one of a kind object.  It getting to me in the condition I found it can be worth ten times more to me than monetary value.

Most of the time on the cheap common stuffs I buy, though, I just roll with it.  The way paperbacks often arrive is crazy, but at least they have their size going for them. 

I sent a Charlton today with my usual method for comics or mags - a stiff mailer where the book is fixed to the center of a not too tight cardboard sandwich that's an inch wider than the comic on all sides.  The shipping materials were worth more than the comic, but I dare the mailman to mess it up (no I don't, jinx jinx jinx).  *makes offering to the gods of parcel safety* (worship)

Nobody gave me a heads up about anything so I'm not sure what you were referring to.  I've been in contact with this seller weeks before he was listing anything on eBay (never bought anything off of him because I didn't pressure him to sell things ahead of time, but talked with him extensively).

As far as shipping goes, I've done this for the last 20 years, where I send out "packing instructions , pictures and sometimes even a video on shipping."

I find if you don't do this, you can be playing Russian roulette with shipping and peoples knowledge about how to ship things out properly

Edited by detective35

I thought maybe you'd seen this post here over on one of the sales threads

On 6/3/2024 at 12:00 AM, waaaghboss said:

I think a couple conclusions might be drawn from these results.  Lower grade books, even graded, aren't garnering the frenzy they were even a year ago.  The novelty of pulp auction on HA is wearing off a bit.  I know myself I still try to watch them but the draw isn't as strong, and swapping them to the front of the comic auction rather than at the end means I've now missed the last 2.  Newer collectors drawn in by the grading and attention don't seem to be as interested in lower grade books, as some of the common stuff in mid grade is still selling for surprising numbers while other books like these spicys are going for probably what they would raw.

Higher end books still seem to get some decent numbers.  This spicy hit 2k today on ebay!  I just hope the seller does better with shipping, as his auctions last week were sent out in thin cardboard envelopes :facepalm:

Screenshot_20240602_215843.thumb.jpg.617121fea17e62c7c6e59571ce0d2678.jpg