• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,154 posts in this topic

Keep 'em coming everyone, I am still learning too!

Well, here's the thing guys. When I started looking at pulps, I too made the mistake ( :baiting: ) to look at covers as the main attraction of the hobby ... then I met real pulpsters and got the "Oh, so you're a cover collector" snub. Having been on the PulpMags group for several years now, I've learned that pulp collecting is all about the stories inside. All this to say that there isn't a "list" of classic covers as we have in comics. Plus there are too many cool pulp covers out there :o

As a pulp collector, I really like the #1 issues, or one shots... nice to have the first representative issue of a run, without buying the whole farm!

Heres a nice one shot... one of the rare "villain" pulps... the bad guy actually wears this goofy octopus costume on the interior too.

OCTOPUSpulp.jpg

As a pulp collector, I really like the #1 issues, or one shots... nice to have the first representative issue of a run, without buying the whole farm!

Heres a nice one shot... one of the rare "villain" pulps... the bad guy actually wears this goofy octopus costume on the interior too.

OCTOPUSpulp.jpg

I love it! So loopy!

Keep 'em coming everyone, I am still learning too!

Well, here's the thing guys. When I started looking at pulps, I too made the mistake ( :baiting: ) to look at covers as the main attraction of the hobby ... then I met real pulpsters and got the "Oh, so you're a cover collector" snub. Having been on the PulpMags group for several years now, I've learned that pulp collecting is all about the stories inside. All this to say that there isn't a "list" of classic covers as we have in comics. Plus there are too many cool pulp covers out there :o

Yep, I collect Edgar Rice Burroughs stories mainly in Pulps. Just in case you don't know in cases like ERB or Robert Howard their stories were published in Pulps first, then collected later in Hardcover books so the pulps are in fact the "first" printing of their stories.

Most stories of ERB in pulps don't even have his story as the cover art. :( In fact most are pretty boring covers compared to Weird Tales and others.

Well, Scrooge... I agree and disagree... there are pulps that are collected for the stories or authors, and I love them a lot, like Ray Bradbury, Mickey Spillane, Isaac Asimov, Robert E. Howard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Hugh B. Cave, H.P. Love craft, etc. But, within each series, there are individual pulps that are highly sought after for their covers, by collectors who don't necessarily collect that title or genre... to say that "real pulpsters" collect for the stories only, is specious... I've been around pulp collectors most of my life, and I would say that there are those that are after the story, true, but there are at least as many that do it for the art... Me, I'm sorta half-n-half... It's the covers that pull me in, and the stories that keep me coming back for more...

Hi Scrooge,

I have heard that argument from the old pulp guys about "pulp collecting is all about the stories".

For me, it is ALL about the cover artwork.

My collection is ultra high grade because I like the cover artwork. Call me radical, but I could care less about the stories...I love pulp paintings, and I love the cover art work. Nothing against people who love the stories, but there are strictly two types of pulp collectors, those who collect to read and those who collect for the artwork.

The companies hired HJ Ward, George Rozen, Saunders, Baumhofer,Howett, St. John, and other greats is because they wanted the covers of their pulps to stand out at the newsstand, to attract attention and promote the titles.

Dwight

My Weird Tales Pulp Display,

I was inspired by Bangzoom to create a WT display and I want to thank Bronzilla for making his vast collection available to me, as per his recent acquisition of roughly 170 books that he showcased on page 84 of this thread.

wtdisplay1.jpg

WTSHOWCASEDISPLY.jpg

BTW, I have over 100 WT pulps spanning from 1928-1953 that I am willing to entertain offers on as ONE LOT. PM me.

StarterWTCollection.jpg

Edited by eccomic

I was inspired by Bangzoom to create a WT display and I want to thank Bronzilla for making his vast collection available to me, as per his recent acquisition of roughly 170 books that he showcased on page 84 of this thread.

wtdisplay1.jpg

WTSHOWCASEDISPLY.jpg

BTW, I have over 100 WT pulps spanning from 1928-1953 that I am willing to entertain offers on as ONE LOT. PM me.

StarterWTCollection.jpg

WONDERFUL collection EC... really inspiring displays too!!

Well, Scrooge... I agree and disagree... there are pulps that are collected for the stories or authors, and I love them a lot, like Ray Bradbury, Mickey Spillane, Isaac Asimov, Robert E. Howard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Hugh B. Cave, H.P. Love craft, etc. But, within each series, there are individual pulps that are highly sought after for their covers, by collectors who don't necessarily collect that title or genre... to say that "real pulpsters" collect for the stories only, is specious... I've been around pulp collectors most of my life, and I would say that there are those that are after the story, true, but there are at least as many that do it for the art... Me, I'm sorta half-n-half... It's the covers that pull me in, and the stories that keep me coming back for more...

What pulps I have purchased over the years have been for the covers - while there are clearly writers whose work is worth collecting - the fact is most pulp writing is not particularly interesting hack work produced for a pittance. And publishers like Culture, Popular and Red Circle are generally known for great covers - not the writing - which while entertaining in small doses - is pretty redundant in content.

I'm guessing Weird Tales is probably one of the few titles widely collected for both covers and content - but I'd love to hear from collectors as to what titles are collected mainly for the writing (Black Mask and some of the better known sci-fi tiles come to mind as likely candidates).

wtdisplay1.jpg

WTSHOWCASEDISPLY.jpg

StarterWTCollection.jpg

Hey, I was just there, and it's even more amazing in person.

Great display ecc and the food and company were good too.

What pulps I have purchased over the years have been for the covers - while there are clearly writers whose work is worth collecting - the fact is most pulp writing is not particularly interesting hack work produced for a pittance. And publishers like Culture, Popular and Red Circle are generally known for great covers - not the writing - which while entertaining in small doses - is pretty redundant in content.

I'm guessing Weird Tales is probably one of the few titles widely collected for both covers and content - but I'd love to hear from collectors as to what titles are collected mainly for the writing (Black Mask and some of the better known sci-fi tiles come to mind as likely candidates).

Planet Storiesth_PlanetStoriesv01n041940-Fall-1.jpg is one that I started collecting for the covers (and love, nay, obsession with Fiction House), but have consistently liked the stories in... Dime Mysteryth_DimeMysteryv25n021941-02.jpg is another, as well as Manhuntth_Manhuntv01n051953-05.jpg (a later digest that started off with a four-part Mickey Spillane story).... Fantastic Adventuresth_FantasticAdventuresv03n081941-10.jpg has some great stories, but a lot of drek too... Detective Bookth_DetectiveBookv06n041951-Winter.jpg, another Fiction House title, has some real consistency on providing entertaining reading... Weird Talesth_WeirdTalesv51n011989-Fall.jpg is indeed full of great stories, as well as great cover art... All-Story Weeklyth_All-StoryWeeklyv051n031915-11-13.jpg has far more great stories than great covers, not counting the the Parkhurst covers, which are uniformly enchanting... Scarlet Adventuressth_ScarletAdventuressv01n031935-10-01.jpg was surprisingly readable (I bought it for the covers, but the stories were worth the price of admission as well!)... that is all I have right now, but maybe we should start a separate thread for recommended pulp READING :D

Edited by Cimm

... that is all I have right now, but maybe we should start a separate thread for recommended pulp READING :D

See I told you real pulpsters do it for the reading :baiting:

I'm happy to hear you and Dwight come out and present the other side of the coin. I have fallen in with this particular group of PulpCon regulars for whom the writing is the main attraction and it was refreshing and interesting to hear their conversation about authors and different styles and so on ... in the very same manner that one can discuss artists' styles in comics. There are so many who collect GA strictly for their covers while I enjoy both cover and interiors that it was welcome on my part to have access to pulp collectors who like the stories herein. It matched my sensitivity. Plus, there's much more to discover in the pulps if one investigates the writing.

My comment about real pulpster (and I believe I had put it in quotation mark) was to showcase another side of pulp collecting that we tend to neglect here in on the boards.

Let's face it, I am also an hybrid. I collect some pulps for covers and others for stories. Here's one that covers both aspects -

84244.jpg.c99d2ae3301c64f2fba9f4878843ba6f.jpg

EC,

Outstanding job on the pulps and comics in your collection!

I really like the way you have them displayed. Can you take some pics of the display that you have where the books are angled. Did you build the displays or buy them? Looks GREAT!!!

Dwight

Edited by detective35DF