• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,173 posts in this topic

OK, I've been taking a few baby steps into the world of pulps. :shy:

Can some of y'all give me a crash course in pulp grading. Is it basically like "old school" comic grading, or is it even more lax than that (by today's tighter comic standards)? I'm guessing there is more tolerance for overhang wear, bits missing at corners & edges, etc?

I'm most curious about the VG to Fine range. Are there defects allowable in a Fine pulp that would not be allowable in a 6.0 comic? ...and what's allowable for a VG pulp? Is tape considered less of a fatal defect with pulp grading?

Any help much appreciated. Thanks all!

3807341217_5fcc74a879_o.jpg

I believe that is one of the sexiest pulp covers that I have ever seen. It must be hoarded by collectors since I have never seen it before. I am sure you only purchased it because of the Halloween theme.

bb

Can some of y'all give me a crash course in pulp grading. Is it basically like "old school" comic grading, or is it even more lax than that (by today's tighter comic standards)? I'm guessing there is more tolerance for overhang wear, bits missing at corners & edges, etc?

I'm most curious about the VG to Fine range. Are there defects allowable in a Fine pulp that would not be allowable in a 6.0 comic? ...and what's allowable for a VG pulp? Is tape considered less of a fatal defect with pulp grading?

Paging Fuelman. Paging Fuelman. I believe he will give you the best answer to these questions. (thumbs u

Paging Fuelman. Paging Fuelman. I believe he will give you the best answer to these questions. (thumbs u

PointFive: remind me to scan and send you some grading info from the Bookery's Guide to Pulps... it may help you understand the difference in grading. It breaks down acceptable flaws.

Hugely helpful. Thanks a lot! (thumbs u

I was under the impression that pulp grading was somewhat looser than comic grading, but when I parse these descriptions I don't really see much difference.

3807341217_5fcc74a879_o.jpg

I believe that is one of the sexiest pulp covers that I have ever seen. It must be hoarded by collectors since I have never seen it before. I am sure you only purchased it because of the Halloween theme.

bb

It would not have mattered if she was in a Leprechaun suit throwing 4 leaf clovers around looking like that! :grin:

I agree, I have never seen it before either, and was stopped dead in my tracks when I saw it. I had to buy it, there was no resistance possible.

Great pickup, Matt! (thumbs u

I tell you, I feel like a kid in a candy store lately looking at all the great pulp covers from the 30s and 40s, the vast majority of which I've not seen before. I haven't bought much yet, but I'm enjoying the hunt.

Here's a question for you pulp aficionados. What are some of the "key" iconic pulps that are extremely sought after purely because of their cover art? For instance, it seems like there are virtually countless "classic" horror/GGA/mystery covers, but I'm wondering if certain rare issues stand out from the pack to collectors and are that much more sought after. I guess to put it in comic terms, I'm wondering if there are pulp equivalents of Suspense Comics #3 and Startling Comics #49. (And if so...let's see 'em!)