• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,137 posts in this topic

For sale in the Heritage Illustration Art auction in October.

Shadow.jpg

GEORGE ROZEN (American, 1895-1974)

The Shadow cover, March 1932

Oil on canvas

21.5 x 20.5 in.

Signed lower left

This cover appeared on the March 1932 cover of The Shadow, the eighth issue, and the earliest Shadow pulp cover known to exist.

"The Shadow knows. The weed of crime bears bitter fruit, but none more deadly than the criminal genius called the Black Master. Clearly it's a case for the Shadow to uncover this emperor of evil who has turned New York into a city of fear. Not since Sherlock Holmes locked wits with Professor Moriarity have there been such formidable opponents on the battlefield of crime. The Shadow, the elusive voice in the night whose mocking laughter haunts all who have ever heard it: the man of many faces who is all things to all people in the name of justice. And the Black Master whose invisible hand kills the very men who serve him, leaving no trace, no quarter, not even an ounce of pity. Only terror, and a black metal tag which promises more to come. The Shadow vs. the Black Master -- two mysterious legends, equally matched, in a contest of giants. The Shadow. A strange creature clad in black, with the power to cloud men's minds which he learned in the Orient, and a mocking laugh which is the avenger's chilling note of triumph. The Shadow is one of the most exciting suspense figures of all time."

From the Estate of Charles Martignette.

Condition Report:

The inset panel at the lower right was painted on a separate piece of canvas, adhered to the main image; otherwise, this lot is in good condition with only normal wear commensurate with age.

And finally the REH grail I've been wanting for a long time - the first appearance of Conan:

1932-12fc.jpg

WeirdTales1932-12int01.jpg

I literally got chills reading the portions of the interior that you posted. What a great piece of sci fi/fantasy hisotry. Thank you and congrats (worship)

Hi,

There was only one Shadow pulp painting in Charles Martignette's collection (The Black Master from 1932).

The Third Skull that was in the last illustration auction did not come from Martignette, it was from a different owner.

Dwight

Two questions Pulp Experts,

1. Are there any Lovecraft Weird Tales in which he was the Cover story? (and which are the more collectible Lovecraft WT issues)

2. and does anyone know if there are plans for a transcription of the Complete Weird Tales on DVD-ROM (like has been done with the New Yorker and other publications)?

I would think that this would be a highly saleable collection. I mean I sure would like to read all these old stories in one place without having to pay big $ for a Pulp which you might not want to read anyway (to ensure structural integrity)

I feel like I am coming down with a case of Pulp fever. I need to get some gainful employment so I can start squirreling away funds for a purchase (if not a cure)

Two questions Pulp Experts,

1. Are there any Lovecraft Weird Tales in which he was the Cover story? (and which are the more collectible Lovecraft WT issues)

The answer to your first question is "sort of". He ghostwrote a story for Harry Houdini in the May-June 1924 issue, "Imprisoned with the Pharaohs," which made the cover, but of course Houdini got te credit, not HPL.

1924-05.jpg

No other HPL story made the cover that I'm aware of, unless it was postumous. He had a number of stories in the early issues, which are very rare and collectible in any condition. His first story "Dagon" appeared in the 7th issue, Oct. 1923. "The Call of Cthulhu" (Feb 1928) is of course very collectible.

2. and does anyone know if there are plans for a transcription of the Complete Weird Tales on DVD-ROM (like has been done with the New Yorker and other publications)?

I would think that this would be a highly saleable collection. I mean I sure would like to read all these old stories in one place without having to pay big $ for a Pulp which you might not want to read anyway (to ensure structural integrity)

I feel like I am coming down with a case of Pulp fever. I need to get some gainful employment so I can start squirreling away funds for a purchase (if not a cure)

I don't know about a CD-Rom, but Girasol Collectibles makes replicas of original pulps right down to the ads and letter pages and they have quite a few Weird Tales.

http://www.girasolcollectables.com/

You can usually get the replicas on ebay for $15-20.

thanks Jeff,

Did some digging through the french site and a Lovecraft bibliography and came up with this as the first few Weird Tales pubs:

Early Lovecraft Weird Tales

Oct/ ‘23 “Dagon”, reprint (originally published 1919, November: (The Vagrant, No. 11)

FIRST LOVECRAFT IN WEIRD TALES

Nov/ ‘23 “The Invisible Monster” by Sonia H Greene (Ghostwritten by HPL) subsequently published under his own name as “The Horror at Martin’s Beach”

FIRST ORIGINAL "HPL" Story published in Weird Tales

Dec/Jan ‘23/’24 “The Picture in the House”, reprint (originally published in summer of 1921 in the “July, 1919” issue of (The National Amateur, 41, No. 6)

Feb/ ’24 “The Hound” (First appearance of Necronomicon)

FIRST ORIGINAL STORY UNDER HPL’s NAME in Weird Tales

Interesting stuff. After Collecting Howard, Lovecraft would be the natural demarcation for me.

here is the link for the works published list

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/publish.asp

Man I bet some of those early Lovecraft pulps/mags are impossible to get