• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exactly who is "The Dentist"?

333 posts in this topic

Everytime I go to my dentist, I ask "Is it Safe?" He groans and comments that I'm not the only one who has asked him that. An oral surgeon in a small area can pretty much charge what they want and there is not a dental emergency room, I don't think.When you need a tooth pulled, it's not convenient to shop around. I have plumber friends who loves making emergency house calls at doctors or dentist homes. He said that they scream the loudest when they hear how much it will cost and many of them try to dickers down the cost. He once asked a dentist if they could trade services and the dentist said it would be like comparing apples to oranges and the years of school and training etc. and the plumber mentioned that he probably had an apple stuck down his toilet , so put on the rubber gloves and yank it out yourself. My friend is a good guy too, believe it or not, he charges seniors less, which is pretty rare these days.

I read an article awhile back that said the highest rate of suicide linked to a profession/job/etc. were dentists...

I read an article awhile back that said the highest rate of suicide linked to a profession/job/etc. were dentists...

That is a true statement. Agents at my office sell Life and Disability Insurance, and dentists are considered one of the riskier (professional) vocations, specifically for suicide rates.

That is a true statement. Agents at my office sell Life and Disability Insurance, and dentists are considered one of the riskier (professional) vocations, specifically for suicide rates.

My childhood dentist cashed out his chips.He accidently cut a nerve of a patients jaw.He overdosed on laughing gas at his office.

My question is this. If someone were to walk up to him and offer $10 million dollars cash in a briefcase would he sell it? If not how much dough would it take for Anderson to part with the MH Action #1? (shrug)

CC

Im sure it is not for sale.Peroid.With his large collection he has plenty to sell.Why get rid of your gem when you dont need the money?

Sorry, but unless you are in the Top 100 Richest people in the world list then everything has a price... Just my opinion 2c Unless we are talking about a 50 or even 50,000 dollar item... we are talking about a multi-million dollar collectible here.

I don't know. If I'd heard that number before I would certainly remember it.

I had heard that number.And as you say I dont know if its true or not.But it makes for interesting conversation.

Dennis

800k for that book would (obviously) be a record, but it would probably rank (to me) near or in the top five most valuable books in the hobby.

Which is just crazy.

That any copy of AA16 could be worth more than the best copy of (for example) Marvel Comics #1 is slightly mental.

Now I know Marvel Comics #1 is relatively easy to get in high grade and AA16 is most certainly not so it's not the best comparison, but still, seeing a book like that valued by anyone, at any time at nearly one million dollars is eye opening. I didn't even take the book into account when putting together my top ten. I didn't even consider it.

I don't know. If I'd heard that number before I would certainly remember it.

I had heard that number.And as you say I dont know if its true or not.But it makes for interesting conversation.

Dennis

800k for that book would (obviously) be a record, but it would probably rank (to me) near or in the top five most valuable books in the hobby.

Which is just crazy.

That any copy of AA15 could be worth more than the best copy of (for example) Marvel Comics #1 is slightly mental.

Now I know Marvel Comics #1 is relatively easy to get in high grade and AA16 is most certainly not so it's not the best comparison, but still, seeing a book like that valued by anyone, at any time at nearly one million dollars is eye opening. I didn't even take the book into account when putting together my top ten. I didn't even consider it.

When you are dealing with a one of a kind crazy is the norm.Many years ago Dave sold the Arhie 1 and Pep 22 to Geppi(if I remember right) for 100k.As we speak they are listed at 55k in 9.2.Is this crazy?Indeed.A psa 10 Mickey Mantle rookie card sold for 1.1 m.This card currently books for 8k.Another one of that goes for crazy money.

Dennis