• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exactly who is "The Dentist"?

333 posts in this topic

Does anyone keep track of the biggest sales every year?

i do

My guess is you could probably count all of the number of sales of single comics over $100,000 in the history of comic collecting without having to take off your socks.

You'd need an extra set of hands and feet.

800k for that book would (obviously) be a record, but it would probably rank (to me) near or in the top five most valuable books in the hobby.

Which is just crazy.

That any copy of AA16 could be worth more than the best copy of (for example) Marvel Comics #1 is slightly mental.

Since the Church copy of AA 16 and Marvel Comics #1 are both owed by the same person, I strongly doubt the AA16 would end up going for less than the Church copy of Marvel #1.

I don't see the $800K as being such an unrealistic figure depending on what the final grade for the book turns out to be. If there's any truth to the possible 9.8 rumours (or was this Marvel 1), then $800K should certainly be acheivable for such a HTF book in grade. hm

Both of them are supposed to be 9.8ish. The AA16 is supposed to be the nicer of the two books.

A big part of me WANTS the AA16 to really be worth that much money since both in general and in grade it's a difficult book and this copy is so obscenely nice. I just don't see it inside the current value framework for comics as I understand it. I think there are million dollar books out there, I just don't think there are any million dollar (or near million dollar) books without superman or batman on the cover.

I don't know. If I'd heard that number before I would certainly remember it.

I had heard that number.And as you say I dont know if its true or not.But it makes for interesting conversation.

Dennis

800k for that book would (obviously) be a record, but it would probably rank (to me) near or in the top five most valuable books in the hobby.

Which is just crazy.

That any copy of AA16 could be worth more than the best copy of (for example) Marvel Comics #1 is slightly mental.

Now I know Marvel Comics #1 is relatively easy to get in high grade and AA16 is most certainly not so it's not the best comparison, but still, seeing a book like that valued by anyone, at any time at nearly one million dollars is eye opening. I didn't even take the book into account when putting together my top ten. I didn't even consider it.

You should definitely take it into account. Extreme scarcity, particularly in HG, is a legitimate reason for a book to be worth more than its historical significance would otherise indicate. No one bats an eye about a 9.4 Hulk #1 being worth well in excess of $100K, even though scarcity is the only reason it's worth so much more than any other SA Marvel key that is not AF 15 or FF 1.

I would rather pay $800K for the MH AA #16 (assuming it's unrestored, of course) than the MH MC #1 (although I wouldn't actually pay $800K for either).

But in todys market two AF15 went for over 200k.Both were graded 9.4.So is it such a stretch for a 9.6-9.8 going for 800k?I think we would all be blown away if that AA16 ever went on the block.Also what you have to remember is this offer was turned down.

You should definitely take it into account. Extreme scarcity, particularly in HG, is a legitimate reason for a book to be worth more than its historical significance would otherise indicate. No one bats an eye about a 9.4 Hulk #1 being worth well in excess of $100K, even though scarcity is the only reason it's worth so much more than any other SA Marvel key that is not AF 15 or FF 1.

I know. But in the context of my top ten, I was already playing that game with Superman #1 and even there my internal estimate wasn't north of 800k. I'm not sure I can live in a world where an Alan Scott book, no matter how nice, is worth more than the best copy of Superman #1.

I would rather pay $800K for the MH AA #16 (assuming it's unrestored, of course) than the MH MC #1 (although I wouldn't actually pay $800K for either).

Well, I'll agree with that. the MH AA #16 is a much more attractive book to me, especially since there is a seemingly endless supply of Marvel #1 in high grade. That said, taking my own preference out of the equation I'd have a hard time placing the AA#16 ahead of the Marvel #1 value-wise. Assuming they're similarly graded. The Marvel book is more significant and guides for twice the AA 16. And if I can't do that, then it's a reach (in my mind) getting the AA#16 up into even the top fifteen, since I had a hard time placing the Marvel #1 even as high as it went. To be honest, I had people suggesting I'd placed it too high at #6.

By the way, thinking back, I likely did consider it based on the grade and guide value. I'd have to go through my archives to dig up my original reasoning for discounting it. I'm a little rusty at discussing comics at this level of detail :)

But in todys market two AF15 went for over 200k.Both were graded 9.4.So is it such a stretch for a 9.6-9.8 going for 800k?I think we would all be blown away if that AA16 ever went on the block.Also what you have to remember is this offer was turned down.

My internal estimate for the 9.6 when I wrote the top ten article was around $450,000. With the latest sales, I'd now place it at around $500,000.

As for "this offer was turned down..."

Here's an example of how I deal with things like that...

I wouldn't sell the Preacher original art that hangs in my hallway for anything less than (let's say) 25x it's "value." In the context of what I do, that doesn't mean I estimate it to be "worth" that price.

the Church Action 1 is not for sale. Why is that so hard to understand? Not for sale for 1 million, 2 million or even 3 million. Id venture to say right now its not for sale for $50 million. Because I think in Daves head, and I dont disagree, he feels that by holding onto the book (which he prefers to do) that in time all of these offers will be there. He;s not turning doen any "once in a lufetime deals. (well, maybe the 50 million offer!) Hence, its just NOT for sale. Its not up for discussion--- or negotiation-- at all ---for now.

right, Dave??? I know you're out there!

This is funny, because I used to feel like a cheerleader for high prices here. Now I come back and I'm defending my conservative valuations... What happened? I like the new attitude :) We used to get yelled at for discussing high end comic valuations in comics general with anything less than scorn. I keep waiting for someone negative to come in and ruin the thread.

did I just catch the boards on a good week?

Nah, we still have periodic outbreaks of "What I collect is cool, and what you collect sucks"-itis, most often the "collecting books above X grade is stupid" strain, but prices have exploded so much that people have almost become numb to the actual amounts of money they represent.

By the way, nice to have you posting again here, Rob. (thumbs u

the Church Action 1 is not for sale. Why is that so hard to understand? Not for sale for 1 million, 2 million or even 3 million. Id venture to say right now its not for sale for $50 million. Because I think in Daves head, and I dont disagree, he feels that by holding onto the book (which he prefers to do) that in time all of these offers will be there. He;s not turning doen any "once in a lufetime deals. (well, maybe the 50 million offer!) Hence, its just NOT for sale. Its not up for discussion--- or negotiation-- at all ---for now.

right, Dave??? I know you're out there!

I would tend to agree. He's most certainly not hurting for money. I think it's just what somebody said earlier. Owning the # 1 grail in our hobby has more to do with other things. With the super rich and CEO types in society today, it really has more to do with prestige (fame) and power than money. Same here.

BTW - he sold a LOT of stuff on ebay last year. Some really rare stuff and lots of it. More Funs, New Comics, early New Adventure,etc,etc,etc.

BTW - he sold a LOT of stuff on ebay last year. Some really rare stuff and lots of it. More Funs, New Comics, early New Adventure,etc,etc,etc.

Yes, but none of that was from his collection (if you were even implying he might be downsizing). Book for book, his collection is still the best one.

Yes, but none of that was from his collection (if you were even implying he might be downsizing). Book for book, his collection is still the best one.

Yes, I've heard the same thing about his collection. I never implied that at all, I surmised these were all second or third copies. Just figured he may have thought it was a good time to sell.

This is funny, because I used to feel like a cheerleader for high prices here. Now I come back and I'm defending my conservative valuations... What happened? I like the new attitude :) We used to get yelled at for discussing high end comic valuations in comics general with anything less than scorn. I keep waiting for someone negative to come in and ruin the thread.

By the way of a introduction my name is Dennis Hooker.It has been a pleasure talking to you.This thread is like my Monday basketball league.No bickering just discussing rare HG comics.

I also read your 100,000. blog very interesting.

...wasn't Snyder the guy who went nuts color touching Church keys?

You mean like the GA Church Green Lantern #1 that Dave "The Dentist" Anderson sold to a vision-impaired collector without any disclosure, only to have it come back years later with a restored purple label from CGC, thus causing it to realize only a fraction of its potential value in a recent Heritage auction?

In some sense, I can't help thinking what a curse the Church Action 1 must be to any reasonably rounded owner with a highly successful career outside of collecting. I wonder what it feels like to have your name show up in hundreds lengthy discussions that only talk about this particular book. Or what it is like to have been approached by scores of eccentric collectors at every convention over the last 25 years, every one of whom wants to talk about whether "it" has color touch or not.

I can't recall a single post in the 5 years I've been here that has mentioned how cool it would be to see the Church run of Action 2-20 side by side. It is difficult for me to understand the level of the fixation on this one book. Honestly, I feel kind of sorry for the Dentist. If I had $XX million, I would love to buy the #2-30 run. But I wouldn't touch the #1 and the curse that goes with it with a million dollar pole.

I can't recall a single post in the 5 years I've been here that has mentioned how cool it would be to see the Church run of Action 2-20 side by side. It is difficult for me to understand the level of the fixation on this one book. Honestly, I feel kind of sorry for the Dentist. If I had $XX million, I would love to buy the #2-30 run. But I wouldn't touch the #1 and the curse that goes with it with a million dollar pole.

Don't worry, buddy, I'll throw myself on that particular grenade and take the #1 to protect you from the curse!