• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exactly who is "The Dentist"?

333 posts in this topic

...and the best copy of Superman #1 also?

Yes. Which means, by my estimate, he owns the 1st,2nd, and 5th most valuable books in the hobby (and he passed on #3.)

Fancy.

Is this a drive by, or are you posting again? :wishluck:

chuck1.gif

The funny thing about this picture is that when it was taken (presumably in 1977), that Superman #1 and Batman #1 he poses with are both less than 40 years old.

That would be like someone today discovering a comics stash from the 1968-1973 era (i.e. a bunch of comics 34-39 years old). Replace the Superman #1 with an Iron Man #1 and the Batman #1 with a Sub-Mariner #1 and you would have the modern equivalent of finding comics of a similar age to the comics Chuck found.

Somehow his discovery seems a whole lot more impressive.

chuck1.gif

The funny thing about this picture is that when it was taken (presumably in 1977), that Superman #1 and Batman #1 he poses with are both less than 40 years old.

That would be like someone today discovering a comics stash from the 1968-1973 era (i.e. a bunch of comics 34-39 years old). Replace the Superman #1 with an Iron Man #1 and the Batman #1 with a Sub-Mariner #1 and you would have the modern equivalent of finding comics of a similar age to the comics Chuck found.

Somehow his discovery seems a whole lot more impressive.

In age yes; in popularity no.

You have to remember though that comics like that found in 1977 in THAT grade were few and far between.. hell... they still are. People didn't start looking at comics as a "collectible" until probably the late 50's or early 60's.

Not to mention all the pre-world war 2 paper drives to recycle stuff like this.

That's what the difference is compared to IM or SM #1

Yes. Which means, by my estimate, he owns the 1st,2nd, and 5th most valuable books in the hobby (and he passed on #3.)

Fancy.

And he owned the MH Whiz #2 and sold/traded it to Geppi. Once upon a time that was a mega GA book.

Fancy.

Is this a drive by, or are you posting again? :wishluck:

A little bit. :golfclap:

Fancy.

And he owned the MH Whiz #2 and sold/traded it to Geppi. Once upon a time that was a mega GA book.

I still look at the price history of that book in wonder.

Everytime I go to my dentist, I ask "Is it Safe?" He groans and comments that I'm not the only one who has asked him that. An oral surgeon in a small area can pretty much charge what they want and there is not a dental emergency room, I don't think.When you need a tooth pulled, it's not convenient to shop around. I have plumber friends who loves making emergency house calls at doctors or dentist homes. He said that they scream the loudest when they hear how much it will cost and many of them try to dickers down the cost. He once asked a dentist if they could trade services and the dentist said it would be like comparing apples to oranges and the years of school and training etc. and the plumber mentioned that he probably had an apple stuck down his toilet , so put on the rubber gloves and yank it out yourself. My friend is a good guy too, believe it or not, he charges seniors less, which is pretty rare these days.

Doesn`t he own the MH All-American 16

Verzyl owns this one.

correct...he has a nice Supes 1, I am told...

I met him in Texas. He is a very nice man. :)

I agree! One of the nicest dealers I have ever met!

I might be wrong but didn’t Verzyl say he would sell the Church AA #16 for the right price?

Verzyl owns this one.

I might be wrong but didnt Verzyl say he would sell the Church AA #16 for the right price?

Wasnt 800k turned down?

didnt the dentist have an add on the last Overstreet advertising he buys collections?

Right, it's on the very last page:

"Collector Buying Most Pre-1967 Comic Books...Particulary interested in: Superhero comic books; anything related to Batman; anything related to Superman; original comic book art; pulp magazines...Why Sell to Me? This is a hobby, not a business. Therefore, I can & will pay more. I will buy entire collections or individual pieces. Immediate cash is always available for purchases!"

P.S. Please do not even think about

:takeit:

regarding my Action #1

Verzyl owns this one.

I might be wrong but didnt Verzyl say he would sell the Church AA #16 for the right price?

Wasnt 800k turned down?

That's a crazy price.

Crazy.

Insane.

Crazy.

You have to remember though that comics like that found in 1977 in THAT grade were few and far between.. hell... they still are. People didn't start looking at comics as a "collectible" until probably the late 50's or early 60's.

Not to mention all the pre-world war 2 paper drives to recycle stuff like this.

That's what the difference is compared to IM or SM #1

What about an Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1? hm