• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exactly who is "The Dentist"?

333 posts in this topic

I don't know. If I'd heard that number before I would certainly remember it.

I had heard that number.And as you say I dont know if its true or not.But it makes for interesting conversation.

Dennis

800k for that book would (obviously) be a record, but it would probably rank (to me) near or in the top five most valuable books in the hobby.

Which is just crazy.

That any copy of AA15 could be worth more than the best copy of (for example) Marvel Comics #1 is slightly mental.

Now I know Marvel Comics #1 is relatively easy to get in high grade and AA16 is most certainly not so it's not the best comparison, but still, seeing a book like that valued by anyone, at any time at nearly one million dollars is eye opening. I didn't even take the book into account when putting together my top ten. I didn't even consider it.

I didn't realize you were the one who wrote the $100,000.00 blog

Neat. I love that site and use it for reference all the time! (thumbs u (thumbs u

I am thinking of starting a ShoNuff fan club. Any takers?

How many members do you have?

So far two. :whistle:

ShoNuff and The Watcher.

I'd join. I love me some ShoNuff. He and OldGuy refuse to suffer fools. I respect that, fool that I am.

When you are dealing with a one of a kind crazy is the norm.Many years ago Dave sold the Arhie 1 and Pep 22 to Geppi(if I remember right) for 100k.As we speak they are listed at 55k in 9.2.Is this crazy?Indeed.A psa 10 Mickey Mantle rookie card sold for 1.1 m.This card currently books for 8k.Another one of that goes for crazy money.

Dennis

One of a kind is great. I'm down with one of a kind. and the AA16 truly is one of a kind- it's supposed to be the nicest single copy of a golden age key in existence.

But... I spend time thinking about these things (the value of the top books in the hobby), in a really positive way and even I'm floored by that number.

Neat. I love that site and use it for reference all the time! (thumbs u (thumbs u

That's me, indeed. A lot of the research presented there started with folks on this very board, by the way (hi guys) :hi:

That's me, indeed. A lot of the research presented there started with folks on this very board, by the way (hi guys) :hi:

I just read it also.Very informative.

When you are dealing with a one of a kind crazy is the norm.Many years ago Dave sold the Arhie 1 and Pep 22 to Geppi(if I remember right) for 100k.As we speak they are listed at 55k in 9.2.Is this crazy?Indeed.A psa 10 Mickey Mantle rookie card sold for 1.1 m.This card currently books for 8k.Another one of that goes for crazy money.

Dennis

One of a kind is great. I'm down with one of a kind. and the AA16 truly is one of a kind- it's supposed to be the nicest single copy of a golden age key in existence.

But... I spend time thinking about these things (the value of the top books in the hobby), in a really positive way and even I'm floored by that number.

Im in total agreement.But as salarys have grown being a millionaire is nothing anymore.Its a lot of money to the mere mortals in comics but the deep pocket collectors its a drop in the bucket.Since I dont own that bucket I guess the AA16 wont be going home with me.

Dennis

Sorry, but unless you are in the Top 100 Richest people in the world list then everything has a price... Just my opinion 2c Unless we are talking about a 50 or even 50,000 dollar item... we are talking about a multi-million dollar collectible here.

but what does anyone that is ultra rich need the money for? House? Nope. Extra car or 12? nope.

Its hard for us to understand that someone doesnt need 1 million (or more) dollars. When to us, a $1million is :whatthe:

But thats my point.. I dont think the Dentist is "rich" so I am pretty sure he could the extra cash even if he is financially secure.. Bill Gates on the other hand could wipe his arse with the money

But thats my point.. I dont think the Dentist is "rich" so I am pretty sure he could the extra cash even if he is financially secure.. Bill Gates on the other hand could wipe his arse with the money

Extra cash for what?

Danny he obviously don't need a Mil so he ain't broke.

Me on the other hand, feeding 4 kids and my luxurious Rock star lifestyle?

I'd dump it for a $100,000 if I needed some drinking money.

:jokealert:

I was going to say that he was Steve Martin ( in one of his subdued roles.)

He has a talent for causing PAIN.

I have also heard that Dentists have a very high rate of suicide, and it seems a high rate of sexual abuse of their patients.

What is the most a comic ever sold for? Does anyone keep track of the biggest sales every year? I know OSPG shows some examples of raw and CGC comics sold, but I don't think the show the biggest transactions each year. I have heard of Amazing Fantasy #15 and ASM #1 going for over 6 figures in recent years. My guess is you could probably count all of the number of sales of single comics over $100,000 in the history of comic collecting without having to take off your socks.

What is the most a comic ever sold for? Does anyone keep track of the biggest sales every year? I know OSPG shows some examples of raw and CGC comics sold, but I don't think the show the biggest transactions each year. I have heard of Amazing Fantasy #15 and ASM #1 going for over 6 figures in recent years. My guess is you could probably count all of the number of sales of single comics over $100,000 in the history of comic collecting without having to take off your socks.

I would think there might be that many just this year alone(07).Awfully close anyway.

Dennis

800k for that book would (obviously) be a record, but it would probably rank (to me) near or in the top five most valuable books in the hobby.

Which is just crazy.

That any copy of AA16 could be worth more than the best copy of (for example) Marvel Comics #1 is slightly mental.

Since the Church copy of AA 16 and Marvel Comics #1 are both owed by the same person, I strongly doubt the AA16 would end up going for less than the Church copy of Marvel #1.

I don't see the $800K as being such an unrealistic figure depending on what the final grade for the book turns out to be. If there's any truth to the possible 9.8 rumours (or was this Marvel 1), then $800K should certainly be acheivable for such a HTF book in grade. hm