• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batmobile at Barrett Jackson Auction this week - What will it go for?

61 posts in this topic

They have the car set for prime time Friday. They know they're going to get good money for it, otherwise they would've had it on Wed or Thurs. Now, is it going to be a 250K car? Don't think so, but who knows. All you need is two guys willing to slug it out, like with the concept car a couple of years ago.

The people paying money to go to a comic or car show won't know its not an original. It will be advertised as THE Bat-Mobile and will draw crowds just as it has for thirty years.No one is buying this to use as a street rod,be serious.

How many Batmobiles were made from the Futura? I read only one. All the rest were made from other cars from what I understand. The Futura Barris used was also the same car used in the movie IT HAPPENED WITH A KISS. I have only seen one Futura in a museum. I have seen at least a six different Batmobiles around the country, in museums, private owners, and on exhibit at fairs. I think there is only one true Batmobile. All the rest are imitations of it.

How many Batmobiles were made from the Futura? I read only one. All the rest were made from other cars from what I understand. The Futura Barris used was also the same car used in the movie IT HAPPENED WITH A KISS. I have only seen one Futura in a museum. I have seen at least a six different Batmobiles around the country, in museums, private owners, and on exhibit at fairs. I think there is only one true Batmobile. All the rest are imitations of it.

batmobiletimeline.jpg

Oh and the site www.1966batmobile.com had this great chart of the Batmobile's Barris built for the show....

Barris Built Replicas...

You will see they have pages on each one and identify Bat #2 as owned by Dr. Dave "The Dentist" Anderson....

This guy has a great website on these cars

C

I'd rather have a Futura than the Bat-Mobile.

That's the most unreal part of the story....Ford spend $250,000 to develop and build that prototype and Barris/Fox was able to buy it for $1...that's ONE DOLLAR.

C

Thus far, seems like the 2008 BJ auction, is a solid buyers market....

How so? Fewer bidders, lower prices? (shrug) I gotta figure that all the economic & financial market turmoil is going to spill over eventually into collectibles, but I thought it might take another year. What have you noticed so far?

For those wanting to watch the auction on the speed channel, it's being auctioned today (Friday). It was originally supposed to be auctioned off at noon Scottsdale, AZ time. I heard secondhand that they moved it to 5:00 Scottsdale, AZ time due to the amount of attention is was attracting. The Speed channel has shown and talked about the car three days in a row during their coverage of the auction, but has not said when on Friday it was being auctioned.

Hmmm... though it's already been mentioned, this really is just a kit-car w/ HUGE pop culture appeal. (thumbs u

I'm putting my line-in-the-sand at $60K... unless two baby boomers both simply must have it. Then who knows... ;)

Should be a hoot to watch! "Holy auction-action, Batman!"

Thus far, seems like the 2008 BJ auction, is a solid buyers market....

How so? Fewer bidders, lower prices? (shrug) I gotta figure that all the economic & financial market turmoil is going to spill over eventually into collectibles, but I thought it might take another year. What have you noticed so far?

Yeah Gene, personally, I track a lot of the American Muscle cars, and aside from the rare special order unit; pricing for most of the sold inventory seems down a personal, hypothesized 10-20% hm

Some "resto mods" are seemingly down in the 20-30% range...OUCH doh!

This is simply by the seat of my pants observation, I haven't been writing everything down, but I have little doubt the prices were a lot higher last year.