• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Marvel Comics 1, Oct restored copy

37 posts in this topic

Hello all...

Ok, here is an extensively restored (pieces added, tear seals, color touch) Oct issue of Marvel 1....has cr/ow pages. CGC graded it exactly as I would have, but I am curious how others "view" it...this book looks SO nice in the slab, but, technically, it is not "as nice as it looks"...have fun...

gator

marvel1octf.jpg

marvel1octback.jpg

Did the added pieces include the October in the upper right corner?

nope, that is all original! as is the Oct printing info on the inside front cover, confirming it is an Oct copy and not a Nov one :)

I checked the census, so I'm not going to guess, but I'd say it looks like and easy 8.0 and more likely upward of a 9.0 through the slab.

this copy was just slabbed, so I am not even sure it is in the census?

one of those books that "look great" in the slab... but I think the cgc grade would suprise a lot of folks that look at it...

It looks like an 8.0 to me (and I would have guessed that CGC would give it the Golden Age key bump to a 9.0 if you hadn't said anything). A bit of rounding on the corners and some slight edge and surface wear are the only obvious flaws that I can see from the scans.

I'll guess 7.5

Extensively restored books don't get much of a bump.

Loads of color touch sort of count as staining.

This is what I'm thinking as well. The work on this book is so glaringly apparent along the spine on both covers and the bottom of the front cover that it has to hurt even the "apparent" grade. 7.0ish I would say.

That said, this is still a very cool book and I believe that as time goes by there will be more and more of a separation in value between Oct and Nov. copies. Rick, I know you're looking for a copy - does this one have your name on it? :popcorn: