• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Marvel Comics 1, Oct restored copy

37 posts in this topic

From here it looks like an 8.5 or so. My guess on the CGC grade is 5.0

steve is the "closest"...

if you go into the heritage archives, from 2002, you will see this book was originally cgc graded as an extensive 5.0...

it had since been cracked, read, etc, and when I bought it last year, I thought it was a 4.5/5.0 due to the extensive nature of the restoration (raw, it doesn't hold the same visual appeal, but is an incredible book, none the less)...and, cgc agreed with me (though, I would have hoped for the same 5.0 as last time, it really is just a Number)...

now, it "looks" better than fine, in fact, it looks GREAT in the cgc case as you all have seen, but if you could take it out and examine it inside out, you would see the grade is appropriate...another reason to "buy the book, not the label"

you will also note that CGC was off on the date, with 11/39 listed, when this is a 10/39 copy, so I am sending it back to be reholdered/corrected...

marvel1oct-1.jpg

Wow. What keeps the grade down? I think there was a book length creases wasn't there?

R.

I actually believe the crease was pressed out when it was recently sent in for a little TLC (needed a spot of color touch,a chip repaired etc). It is really more of a result of the restoration...it is a professional job, but you can "tell" the resto areas up close, and, so while it might look VF from a foot away, struturally, it is more in the vg/fn range

rick

if you go into the heritage archives, from 2002, you will see this book was originally cgc graded as an extensive 5.0...

it had since been cracked, read, etc, and when I bought it last year, I thought it was a 4.5/5.0 due to the extensive nature of the restoration (raw, it doesn't hold the same visual appeal, but is an incredible book, none the less)...and, cgc agreed with me (though, I would have hoped for the same 5.0 as last time, it really is just a Number)...

now, it "looks" better than fine, in fact, it looks GREAT in the cgc case as you all have seen, but if you could take it out and examine it inside out, you would see the grade is appropriate...another reason to "buy the book, not the label"

you will also note that CGC was off on the date, with 11/39 listed, when this is a 10/39 copy, so I am sending it back to be reholdered/corrected...

marvel1oct-1.jpg

One day I will understand comic book grading --- this example just shows how little I really do understand !! Awesome Book!!!

marvel1oct-1.jpg

One day I will understand comic book grading --- this example just shows how little I really do understand !! Awesome Book!!!

if this resto had of been, say slight, then the book would grade in the 7.0 to 8.0 range...but, from what I have learned by submitting hundreds of GA books (restored and unrestored) to CGC, is that flaws, whether visually obvious or not, go into the grade (for example, I have a book ,that otherwise is 7.5 easy...but, has a long, non color breaking crease on the inside of the back cover, and a smaller one too, and a light stain that is not visible to the naked eye)....got a 6.0 structurally, even though it "looks" VF)...same principle...to cgc, they can "see" the minor imperfections that result from extensive resto, where as we might not be able to pick it up visually, as easy...

grade is accurate, from a technical standpoint, as far as I am concerned, but...it sure does present nicer!

rick

All things considered, having a copy of such a special book that looks this sweet, but is professionally graded as a 4.5 "Apparent", should mean that you got a beautiful, "Grail" book for somewhat of an affordable price..........Congrats......... (thumbs u

and if I follow your logic about the grading of Extensively Restored GA books, copies that are in the 7.0 - 9.0 range, must have pretty superior work done to them.

(Given that they have tear seals. pieces added, CT, etc.). hm???

Rick, just curious.

What did the interior covers like like? Sometimes they tell a much different story then the cover. Many times the outside cover is made to look pretty spiffy.. but the interiors leave a lot to be desired which can result in a drop in grade.

Also the label states the cover was re-glossed. From what I have seen if it's not done correctly(i.e. it looks funny, too thick, uneven brush marks, etc..) they will hammer a book as if it were a flaw because it's a visible detraction.. Not saying that is the case with this book.. just that it might have contributed to why it received a 4.5

I think this book is a good example of why a different label might actually help to understand what it is we are looking at. While it does state Ext/P.. exactly how extensive was the work?, how much was added to the book to bring the book to its present appearance? How professional was the work done?.. just archival materials used... or is the book also a masterpiece of craftsmanship?

Hello all...

Ok, here is an extensively restored (pieces added, tear seals, color touch) Oct issue of Marvel 1....has cr/ow pages. CGC graded it exactly as I would have, but I am curious how others "view" it...this book looks SO nice in the slab, but, technically, it is not "as nice as it looks"...have fun...

gator

marvel1octf.jpg

marvel1octback.jpg

I would think 7.5-8.0.I dont know what they would deduct with the mark on the back cover.

Hello all...

Ok, here is an extensively restored (pieces added, tear seals, color touch) Oct issue of Marvel 1....has cr/ow pages. CGC graded it exactly as I would have, but I am curious how others "view" it...this book looks SO nice in the slab, but, technically, it is not "as nice as it looks"...have fun...

gator

marvel1octf.jpg

marvel1octback.jpg

Wow.I would have never guessed that.Sweet book Rick Conrats!

Rick, just curious.

What did the interior covers like like? Sometimes they tell a much different story then the exterior. Many times the outside cover is made to look pretty spiffy.. but the interiors leave a lot to be desired, which can result in a drop in the overall grade.

Also the label states the cover was re-glossed. From what I have seen if it's not done correctly(i.e. it looks funny, too thick, uneven brush marks, etc..) they will hammer a book for that like it were a flaw because it is a visible detraction to the cover. Not saying that is the case with this book.. just that it might have contributed to why it received a 4.5

I think this book is a good example of why a different label might actually help to understand what it is we are looking at. While it does state Ext/P.. exactly how extensive was the work?, how much was added to the book to bring the book to its present appearance? How professional was the work done?.. just archival materials used... or is the book a masterpiece of craftsmanship?

you hit the nail right on the head....as I mentioned, the book, from the outside looks great...but, when inspecting it "in hand", and from the inside cover out, the resto is more pronounced etc...hence, the grade....

I was told that the resto was not done by susan or matt, but was done a long time ago (could have even been Bill S, who knows)....Susan C did look at it before it was offered for sale, and it is "professionally" restored (material wise)...

Rick, just curious.

What did the interior covers like like? Sometimes they tell a much different story then the exterior. Many times the outside cover is made to look pretty spiffy.. but the interiors leave a lot to be desired, which can result in a drop in the overall grade.

Also the label states the cover was re-glossed. From what I have seen if it's not done correctly(i.e. it looks funny, too thick, uneven brush marks, etc..) they will hammer a book for that like it were a flaw because it is a visible detraction to the cover. Not saying that is the case with this book.. just that it might have contributed to why it received a 4.5

I think this book is a good example of why a different label might actually help to understand what it is we are looking at. While it does state Ext/P.. exactly how extensive was the work?, how much was added to the book to bring the book to its present appearance? How professional was the work done?.. just archival materials used... or is the book a masterpiece of craftsmanship?

you hit the nail right on the head....as I mentioned, the book, from the outside looks great...but, when inspecting it "in hand", and from the inside cover out, the resto is more pronounced etc...hence, the grade....

I was told that the resto was not done by susan or matt, but was done a long time ago (could have even been Bill S, who knows)....Susan C did look at it before it was offered for sale, and it is "professionally" restored (material wise)...

doh! I totally missed where you said that, I should know to read everything before I post. And btw, the last part of my post more rhetorical then geared towards your book specifically regarding materials used, I assumed all were archival.

It's a very nice book either way.

Thanx