• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

attic finds??

13 posts in this topic

i know this has been a topic before,but what are some comics you have found in an attic or yard sale and how many action#1s or dec#27s do you think are still unkown in somebodys old house? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nothing thst exciting, but I did go into an Alabama drugstore one--an OLD one--when I was a teenager (mid-80's). They had a bin of comics next to the spinner rack. Mostly junk stuff, Archie, Star Wars movie adaptations...But I found one gem: an ASM 42 (is that the one with the Rhino cover? That's the one, anyway) in great condition. Still have it. I'll post a scan if requested.

My Uncle was a garbage man and back in 1974 gave me a whole box of silver mid-high grade Marvels and DC's that someone was throwing away,....About 120-150 in total....I kept the DC's and gave the Marvels to my cousin John-John,.......the best DC in the batch was a Strange Adventures #205 in vf/nm condition I would say,....I don't recall all the Marvels but I do remember there were quite a few early Avengers and ASM between issues 5-20....I didn't collect Marvels so I have know idea of what the other books were worth...

J.D.

Not an "attic" find, but...

I was over at a good friend's house last year who's father is a HUGE sci-fi book fan (he has thousands of books). We were just talking about what I collect and he mentions that he has 5 or 6 comics left from the 70s that he had bought and hung on to.

He goes and gets the books. There was a couple of nice (solid VF-) 70s Avengers, a GS Captain Marvel 1, GS Cap America 1...and, of course, a friggin' very solid GS X-Men 1. I quite remember the book to be a nice F/VF, though what I remember most is that it was a better copy than mine 893frustrated.gif.

Goes to show you that these books really are still out there.

I stopped by a neighborhood yard sale this weekend because they advertised some photo equipment. To my surprise they also had a box of 40-50 comics out for sale marked 50 cents each 3 for a dollar. "Certainly worth taking a look!" I think to myself.

So I flip through and they've got some interesting 70's - 80's stuff. The first few issues of What If?, some Marvel Team-ups, mostly Marvel books in Vg to Fine but each one of them was individually priced on the cover with a 1/2 inch circle sticker labeled 50 cents, sigh... I passed on them but hopefully someone got some good reading material

dave h

Found a guy with a smallish box of Golden Age comics at a Mall flea market in the early 80's. They were mixed in with a bunch of 80's junk.

Unfortunately I didnt know much about comics at the time and passed up a bunch of early Captain Marvel books for Crime and Horror books. Still each book was a dollar and none of the books in their condition(mostly Fine) are worth less than $30 so I cant complain too much.

I think I've told this story on these boards before - apologies if so...

After an article about my brother and I and our comic book collection appeared in the Santa Rosa (Calif.) daily paper in 1978, I received a number of phone calls from people looking to sell comics. Some were good, some were trash. But the most interesting was from a woman whose son had been killed in Vietnam - around 1962, I'd guess. His comic collection, and for that matter his entire room, was basically sealed off and untouched after his passing...

I'd estimate there were 350-400 comics, all silver age, ranging from sci-fi to funny animal and Archie, with a few superhero books...most in VG/FN, some between FN/VF and VF+. Since I was only 14 at the time, I had to get my dad to drive me out to the woman's house...and he knew enough about the Overstreet Guide to know the books were worth something. He made me pay her 80% of guide (!) even though I explained that she'd never get that much from a dealer... Even so, I nabbed a lot of great stuff, including a fair number of mid-'50s DC books such as My Greatest Adventure, Blackhawk, etc. and some high grade Archie annuals from the early '50s. This was as close to a "pedigree collection" as I've gotten...so far!