• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silverage-Fan Back?

156 posts in this topic

I sincerely appreciate your outlook on things and enjoy your posts around here! And you are absolutely right about the "getting the deal" part of the equation. There are lots of expensive books at Metro, High Grade, ComicLink but the fun is in the bidding to get the deal. and being a sniper on big books is the ultimate deal hunt - anyone with money could put a killer bid on a big book from the start but the game is to get the best price.

I personally find it amusing that Del is getting lambasted for posting something about a vacation, and gman and shuley regularly have matches over how much/little one of them paid for a given comic, how cheap one of them is, how much money each has, etc., with no rebuke from the forum faithful?

Once you enter the "I have more assets than you" area, I could care less if you're talking about comics, boats, cars or hoochies, it's all the same to me. Putting "comic" in the subject header doesn't make it any better or worse.

(heck, I spent 6 months in Europe once and the entire thing cost me $2,500. Lived out of a backpack, and had the time of my life, but it sure as heck wasn't about having any wealth!)

Precisely, my dear Joanna! That's exactly how I feel about the issue too, which is why I'm angry that my sharing of personal experiences with the other Forum members has been used against me as some big class warfare issue. It's no more bragging or "name-dropping" than you saying "Hey, I've been to John Byrne's house - beat that!" Am I offended by your comment? Of course not, I just take it for the interesting tidbit and gentle teasing it is. Nothing more or less.

Like I said - if anyone on the Board has any interesting personal anecdotes to share, whether comic-related or not, I feel we are a community here and I am interested to hear them. As for the "Mr. Smartypants" issue, there Clobberin' may have a point, but I'm not going to apologize for having strong opinions backed by rigorous analysis and homework! smile.gif

Gene

It was the most blatant name-dropping I could think of. I figured I'd talk about my trip to Europe, name drop and throw in the word "Spidey" all in one post. I'm working on a personal best.

I think if you both stepped back just an inch or two, this might go away. Del, perhaps just a touch less defensive (had you joked about it, like Meth with his bag of money, it might have blown over). Not that you shouldn't defend yourself, but maybe try to find the humor first. And Clobberin', the amount of posts wasn't exactly record-breaking (I never even saw whatever started this, so it must have been confined to one area). Let him enjoy his vacation, and when you share something important to you, he might promise not to jump on you.

Besides, it's much more fun to argue about who has the best collection, or comic, or deal, or sales pitch or filing system or whatever.

Then again, I could just stay out of this and let you lads duke it out betwixt yourselves.

Okay, I'll do that.

-- Joanna

Spoken like a true bulk buyer!

I buy bulk off of EBay, and get my HG keys off of dealers or at shows. I wouldn't trust a non-CGC NM Key book on EBay if my life depended on it. Just because you can run through my EBay account looking at the last few weeks of buys, I assume you're not moronic enough to think that's all I've ever purchased.

I was also buying comics well before CGC or EBay even started up, or can none of you fogies remember back that far?

Plus, the moment I start defining myself by the comics I own (looo-ZER!) then I'll drive my car off a bridge or something.

Besides, it's much more fun to argue about who has the best collection, or comic, or deal, or sales pitch or filing system or whatever.

Then again, I could just stay out of this and let you lads duke it out betwixt yourselves.

Yeah, Clobberin', so I bet my comic filing system is better than yours! Just kidding.

I agree that all this feuding is rather pointless and has been a big waste of time lately. I don't even have enough time to keep up with all the new comics I've been buying, so I am going to do my best to avoid getting entangled in these long exchanges that lead to nowhere. Let's just agree to disagree and try to keep the inevitable debates focused on comics instead of extraneous issues.

Gene

DELEK,

I think it's cool when people share their experiences on here whether it be a great comic purchase or just a simple happy moment in thier life. I've met some cool people on here and talk to them on a daily basis. How could we just talk about comics ALL day? If that was the case, i'd never talk to them again becuase I'd have to pull my hair out and sell all of my comics b/c i'd be sick of hearing about them ALL DAY EVERYDAY! tongue.gif

I bet it is too! Right now I have them stacked every where in the fairly small house we have been renting while I finish construction on a new house on the beach in Ponce Inlet Fla. Not that I am bragging about building a house on the beach or anything - not that there is anything wrong with that. And Rickdogg I did not mean that I think this forum should be confined to just comics- that would be very boring! My posts often wonder from one subject to the next often from one sentence to the very next. This whole thing started when I made a comment to someone who said it was getting bored around and I replied that I could easily start a feud - and I was right!

I tend to agr....HEY!!! Wait a minute. JOANNA....you're supposed to be doing your ROAD-WORK right now. And, instead of wasting precious energy typing, why aren't you doing 3 rounds of shadow boxing???? Have you figured out a way to hide that osmium rolling pin in your boxing trunks that we spoke of?? (It's easy as pie for ME to hide a rolling pin in my trunks, no one would notice a difference.. wink.gif , but you've got a LOT of work and planning to do young lady) Let's go! There IS no tomorrow!, and you've got only 2 weeks to whip into shape for your PayPerView Ultimate Fight Championship with the Hep-Kitty!!!

Roll with it?!?! Hell...I'm PROMOTING it. I just got off the phone with HBO!! They wanted to air it. I've got meetings all next week with sponsors, Nike, Ford, Dell, Revlon, etc. THIS is going to be the biggest thing in the history of pugilism!!

That's all you talked about on your web site, buying in bulk. Since day one I was reading your message posted on your web site and it was either buying books in bulk or having negative things to say about CGC, the market crash or people overpaying on certain books.

What people do with their own money is their own business and all you do is complain. It sounds like sour grapes to me on your part because you can't seem to buy a book that you want w/o forking the $$.

I guess everybody else here wants to hear about your negativity and your findings of John Byrne X-Men issues, they're a dime a dozen.

John

We seriously must let this thread die already! It started out as a thread about an accusation of shill bidding and has now deteriorated into the CGC Forum Celebrity Death Match. Clobberintime vs. DeLekkerste, CGCMINT vs. ComicInvestor, Joanna vs. Hep-Kitty...!

Let's take a cue from Marvel and cancel this thread and start over with issue/post #1 somewhere else...!

Gene

It started out as a thread about an accusation of shill bidding

A totally goofy one at that since none of the accusers had been following the auction closely enough to actually see what had happened. close enough wasn't really all that close, by the way. Seeing that book had met reserve any time over the three days that it sat at 9500 would have done the trick... tongue.gif