• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM spidey#2

20 posts in this topic

2 major defects on this one the biggest is an obvious scuff that affects the front cover only. the second is a diagonal crease starting on right edge of the lower front cover 11/2 inches long and proceeds to run through the entire book.

spidey2.jpg

spidey2bc.jpg

Defects like this are tough to factor in. That scratch isn't the worst flaw in the world, but it does affect the eye appeal and take away quite a bit of color...too bad about the placement (on an otherwise quite nice book). I'd guess a soft 4.0, possibly a 3.5.

thanks guys - this book is very solid structurally so that's nice and it is also sweet that it isn't chipped. If not for that scuff it would be s sweet midgrade- i originally felt this was a 4.5 but after looking at others opinions i think it might be a 4.0--that scuff is kind of an oddball defect you don't see every day!

this book was also kind of a compromise- i decided i couldn't afford to buy really nice copies of every semi-key out there so i decided this is one of the books i would get a lesser grade. You know spidey 2 is a great book but a hefty price tag is tacked on cause it's #2 and i would rather spend that dough on a cherry #5 which i think is a superior story.

this book was also kind of a compromise- i decided i couldn't afford to buy really nice copies of every semi-key out there so i decided this is one of the books i would get a lesser grade. You know spidey 2 is a great book but a hefty price tag is tacked on cause it's #2 and i would rather spend that dough on a cherry #5 which i think is a superior story.

That was the same thought process I had when I was finishing my SA ASM run. #2 is a fun book, but just too pricey given that the contents pale in comparison to the surrounding issues. I got a nice G+ #2 as a reader/filler, and called it a day.

That was the same thought process I had when I was finishing my SA ASM run. #2 is a fun book, but just too pricey given that the contents pale in comparison to the surrounding issues. I got a nice G+ #2 as a reader/filler, and called it a day.

I also feel the same way....mine DOES have chipping, and is a 3.0-3.5 IMO, but I can't see upgrading THAT particular issue in my ASM run, whereas other issues that I just love I've upgraded when the right deal came up.............

like most midgrade books this is pretty tough to grade, IMHO. the FC looks pretty sweet, except for the scuffed up spine with a goodly amount of color loss and that huge scuff mark.

but that faint crease on the LRC apparently isn't so faint as it shows up even clearer on the BC and Marvell stated that it runs through the entire book. and there are those two big crease on the BC spine.

i'm thinking maybe ACES was a wee bit harsh and Divad a tad optimistic, so i'll set myself comfortably between their guesses with a 4.0............ :)

VG - 4.0

Nice pickup!

I agree with the sentiments about the contents. The Vulture should never have been a prime time villain.

Absolutely better than 3.0..............I'd say 4.0, but too many problems to go 4.5/5.0.......and PT is right about the MC, it's hard to avoid in Marvel books 1962-63 and you've managed to do just that with this key!

#2 in mid to hi-grade is actually much tougher to find than #1...I always thought the Vulture was a pretty odd-ball character, but still love this Ditko cover...