• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key
2 2

501 posts in this topic

Never posted a GK before but thought I'd put up an item I scored nearly 20 years ago. I've been collecting other genres for a long time and many items have come and gone in the interest of scoring more things for my core collection, but this one has and will weather all of that.

Blauraragagragaraugaruagh!!!!

(Now I feel better).

taz.jpg

Turoks have been pretty under-represented in this thread. Here's #36:

turok36.jpg

:applause:

That's certainly a handsome painting that they used for the cover.

I'd agree. As I am no Dell/Gold key scholar, I am wondering if the artists of these covers are well known?

Yes, in general they are. Many of them are by George Wilson and Mo Gollub. I'm pretty sure most of the Dell Turok covers are Gollub (the ones with great dinosaurs). The first few Dr Solar are by Richard Powers. Even though there are lots of blanks or question mark credits at GCD, there are people there that know at a glance who painted which ones (not me). Yes, I wish they'd enter the data too.

Jack

I'd agree. As I am no Dell/Gold key scholar, I am wondering if the artists of these covers are well known?

Yes, in general they are. Many of them are by George Wilson and Mo Gollub. I'm pretty sure most of the Dell Turok covers are Gollub (the ones with great dinosaurs). The first few Dr Solar are by Richard Powers. Even though there are lots of blanks or question mark credits at GCD, there are people there that know at a glance who painted which ones (not me). Yes, I wish they'd enter the data too.

Jack

They are reasonably known within the field of illustration art but that doesn't really translate into well-known in "art" circles.

Jack

They are reasonably known within the field of illustration art but that doesn't really translate into well-known in "art" circles.

Maybe I was answering the wrong question.

Rodan, were you asking whether credits for the covers are known (how I read it), or whether the covers were done by painters that are famous in art circles (apparently how adamstrange read it)? If the latter, Richard Powers may be about as well-known as an illustrator can be with the exception of superstars like Norman Rockwell.

Jack

Jack

I'm actually not a fan of George Wilson. I find most of his covers to be pretty mediocre.

Jack

I'm actually not a fan of George Wilson. I find most of his covers to be pretty mediocre.

I wish I could sit down with stacks of Wilson and Gollub covers to really learn the difference. I think I usually prefer Gollub, but I do like Wilson's painted Dr Solar covers (3-7 only??)

Jack

Jack

Maybe I was answering the wrong question.

Rodan, were you asking whether credits for the covers are known (how I read it), or whether the covers were done by painters that are famous in art circles (apparently how adamstrange read it)? If the latter, Richard Powers may be about as well-known as an illustrator can be with the exception of superstars like Norman Rockwell.

Jack

Yes, I was asking what you thought I was and thanks for the information-- I notice that the label on the Turok #40, above, doesn't ID the cover artist as would a Marvel or DC.