• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key
2 2

501 posts in this topic

My faves are probably Karloff and Turok, but they’re all fun reads. If you’re the type of person who thinks SA Marvels are unreadable and prefer Moderns, you may find them a bit creaky.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

The truth is, the older I get the more tedious Moderns become with their grittiness, faux-realism and slavish devotion to continuity.

I want to escape with my comics!

Enough with the thinly-veiled parables to our modern, gritty, faux-realistic problems and their slavish devotion to continuity!

I jest. Some moderns are OK.

Hey, Shiver---

Neat-looking comics.

I saw these in your "latest obsession" thread and tried to search for some copies for myself.

All I can say is....hold on to them!

They are impossible to find! (As I'm sure you know.)

Hey, Shiver---

Neat-looking comics.

I saw these in your "latest obsession" thread and tried to search for some copies for myself.

Hey Matt is that the full Scarecrow run??

Hey, Shiver---

Neat-looking comics.

They are tough, but do pop up from time to time. Diamond Just auctioned a VF#2 on ebay last week, and I had to fight not to buy that copy as well! There is a VGish #3 on ebay now, & it is certainly the toughest in the run

I don't have one either, but there's a pretty good Toth checklist in Comic Book Artist #11 (Twomorrows pub) that sez Frogmen #5 (Dell, 6/63) has a 27 pg Toth story with a 4 pg follow-up. I used to lurk on the Toth fans boards and people there seemed to think it was up there with his best.

I've seen a picture of the cover on the Mile High website, but never a copy "in the flesh." I try to never buy from them, but their database is handy for research.

And I've been meaning to go after those that Twilight Zone and Boris Karloff #5 as well...I have a nice file copy of Four Color 882 (Toth's first Zorro) in about a VF/VF+. In hindsight, I think I paid too much though. Someday I'll get a scanner, so I can show it off here.

3735428807_58efb01335.jpg3735427911_3d857c6681.jpg

I still have my original collection of Dr. Solar and Magnus. Somehow they survived my little brother

and all of the notorious dealers that went through my collection in Toledo and Houston.

My faves are probably Karloff and Turok, but they’re all fun reads. If you’re the type of person who thinks SA Marvels are unreadable and prefer Moderns, you may find them a bit creaky.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

The truth is, the older I get the more tedious Moderns become with their grittiness, faux-realism and slavish devotion to continuity.

I want to escape with my comics!

Enough with the thinly-veiled parables to our modern, gritty, faux-realistic problems and their slavish devotion to continuity!

I jest. Some moderns are OK.

I so agree with you and I am sick of comics being third rate versions influenced by Dark Knight and Watchmen.Those were great series in the 1980`s but do all comic books have to be in that style? doom n gloom or dark n gritty?