• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key
2 2

501 posts in this topic

Nice!

I've picked up a few Tarzans recently. The #200 holds particular significance for me because that was the first comic book I ever bought, and along with the Korak and Turok that came out at the same time, were the comics that my father used to teach my sister and me how to read.

Tarzan147.jpg

Tarzan175.jpg

Tarzan200.jpg

Edited by tth2

The #200 holds particular significance for me because that was the first comic book I ever bought, my father used to teach my sister and me how to read.

Tarzan200.jpg

Great! What a way to learn to read with such stilted title and tagline:

"Queen La directs savage vengeance against Tarzan as he is trapped in the secret vaults of Opar"

even though I'll concede that it sounds like a bang-up story.

Nice books one and all (thumbs u

"Queen La directs savage vengeance against Tarzan as he is trapped in the secret vaults of Opar"

Why do you think in a mysterious and wondrous tongue speak I now?

Actually, the grammar seems okay to me. (shrug)

Maybe after taking a year+ off it is time to get back into collecting

Always a good time to collect Gold Keys! Availability over the last few years has been as good as it's ever been.

Actually the only things that I have been collecting for the last several years are Four Color's. I took a break over a year ago. This weekend I am finally rebagging the ones that had gotten sionce maybe the beginning of 2008. Once that is complete I will have to scan those and then I can sort them in and do an upgrade for a few.

Here are a few more Gold keys that I have had for many years

mrchips.jpg

myfavmart2.jpg

pinocchio.jpg

secretagent1.jpg

secretagent2.jpg

Grammatically correct and pleasant to the ear are two different concepts. (thumbs u

Grammatically correct and pleasant to the ear are two different concepts. (thumbs u

Pleasant enough for the ears and eyes of a 6-year old relatively fresh off the boat from Hong Kong!

As I go back through my reading copies, the thing that strikes me is how perfectly suited these GK books were for kids. The writing was simple, but all sorts of interesting concepts were introduced, and the simplistic (and sometimes horrific) art isn't such a big deal to a little kid.

Turok was the best. Indians, a lost world, cave men and dinosaurs! What else would a 6- or 7-year old boy need?

Pleasant enough for the ears and eyes of a 6-year old relatively fresh off the boat from Hong Kong!

As I go back through my reading copies, the thing that strikes me is how perfectly suited these GK books were for kids. The writing was simple, but all sorts of interesting concepts were introduced, and the simplistic (and sometimes horrific) art isn't such a big deal to a little kid.

Turok was the best. Indians, a lost world, cave men and dinosaurs! What else would a 6- or 7-year old boy need?

:cloud9: Turok was the first comic I ever owned.....Anchorage ,Alaska circa 1966. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Gold Keys have become my favorite books lately. I am still having a blast collecting them. :cloud9: Haven't had time for scanning lately though.

It's also shocking to see how well Turok sold, it outsold just about every other non Superman or Batman comic in the early 60's if I remember correctly.

Sales figures for the mid 60's were amazing. I always check out circulation statements that were printed in some of the issues....B&B 34 has one for 214,000. Marvel was plowing along at 150,000 at that time (1961). I recently saw one in FF 61 for 365,000 of 600,000 printed. I'm told Batman was pushing 1 million printed at that time. I can only imagine what the Duck books did. It doesn't surprise me about Turok, we all LOVED Dinosaurs. I actually bought my first Spidey because Turok was sold out. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It's also shocking to see how well Turok sold, it outsold just about every other non Superman or Batman comic in the early 60's if I remember correctly.

That is very interesting. I'll have to check that out. I love Turoks more than any other Gold Keys except Uncle Scrooge. Well, and Honey West, of course.

Gold Keys have become my favorite books lately. I am still having a blast collecting them. :cloud9: Haven't had time for scanning lately though.

Wow, I did not know that!

Overall my favorite are the painted covers. Nothing else seems to compare with those. With that said I never really appreaciated the Turok's I think I sold off almost all of the ones I had during the last few shows I did b4 the 94 Earthquake.

docsolar12.jpg

honeywest.jpg

lotg1.jpg

magnusrf2.jpg

magnusrf20.jpg

marypop.jpg

spacefamrob10.jpg

startrek8.jpg

Overall my favorite are the painted covers. Nothing else seems to compare with those.

That`s what I love about Dells and GKs too. Any Dell or GK Tarzan with a photo cover gets an immediate pass from me.