• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay gambles

42 posts in this topic

Thought it might be interesting to show your Ebay gamble before and after pics:

Ebay:

nn2310a.jpg

nn2310b.jpg

Actual:

Missing scans of the 6, 5 & 4 in that order going left to right in the Ebay pic.

Woody23fc92.jpg

PPfc-1.jpg

1FC456fc.jpg

Scrooge10fc.jpg

US9fc-1.jpg

I was very pleased.

here's the more usual ebay gamble

bought as 'nm'

back from cgc as

x-men 94 front.jpg

including grading fees, about a $200 loss :(

number of raw books bought since on ebay, 1

Yep - happened to me on 3 GA books. The cheapest of the 3 was a little over $500. Throw in the CGC costs and then get a PLOD = SCREWED. My problem was that by the time I had them slabbed, I couldn't remember who the sellers were. At least they did grade out for they were advertised just in restored condition.

Nice gamble. Isn't that the first Scrooge cover?
It is and it more than "paid for" the entire lot. It is a really nice copy. Not that I plan to sell anytime soon.

Wow, did the seller know what he was selling?
On which one. The first lot was from an antiques dealer. I think they were very surprised. I got into a bidding war with a couple of Swedes I think. Very nice price but still far less than my max given what I could tell about the quality. I had to instruct them on packing. Of course, despite my instructions, they were still packed poorly. Luckily no damage to these HG funny books.

On the second one, it was the original owner. I'm not sure if he really knew the values or just wanted to sell in lots. I bought a couple more off of him. It wasn't a bad price for him. I emailed about packing and he told me had them ready to go in a priority flat rate box. I instructed him to put the scrooge 1 in the middle of the others at the very least. He did. No extra cardboard, a couple of plastic bags as padding at the top and bottom and nothing on the sides. Again, no damage. Amazing.

The "wins" are so much more interesting than the "losses." Plus, my negative experiences usually have involved much less expensive items. Therefore, I don't save the pics from the auction.

the only ebay gamble i ever technically had was for this book:

CaptainAmericavol5CGC25GermanVarian.jpg

Even at that, the seller had stated that the book had a good chance of getting a 9.8 if submitted for grading. The seller was in Germany, I won the auction, and paid an exhorbent amount of money to get it express shipped to thecollector/ Kris Moore in time to get it signed for SS.

I lucked out, and it got 9.8, and am happy to say that it's the only book of it's kind on the census :)

I was trying to gamble on this auction but I have some funds tied up on another deal and I know how much I could spend as I am awaiting the outcome.

There is a Sensation 22 , Ist Oswald, 1st Woody Woodpecker and 1st Bambi in the lot as well as others. Some one probably got these for a steal today.

Ebay

here's the more usual ebay gamble

bought as 'nm'

back from cgc as

x-men 94 front.jpg

including grading fees, about a $200 loss :(

number of raw books bought since on ebay, 1

Yep - happened to me on 3 GA books. The cheapest of the 3 was a little over $500. Throw in the CGC costs and then get a PLOD = SCREWED. My problem was that by the time I had them slabbed, I couldn't remember who the sellers were. At least they did grade out for they were advertised just in restored condition.

what does PLOD mean so I don`t get screwed in the future?