• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anybody add books they have cracked out of slabs to their registry set?

53 posts in this topic

After I saw the points pulled back out of my set, I sent him this message. This was followed by a couple of exchanges, which were pretty strange...

Dear Colorado Comics:

I was the winner (and buyer) of the Daredevil #29 CGC 9.6 Green River that you sold through the recent comiclink auction. I would appreciate it if you would let me transfer it to my set.

Feel free to verify this with Josh at Comiclink.

Thanks,

Brad

His reply:

Hi Brad:

Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable transferring the ownership on this book, until I have been paid in full.

I'm sure Josh will process payments as soon as he can, so please hang in there. That awesome DD #29 will be yours soon and I'll transfer the ownership to your registry set.

I'm glad you are excited to get it.

Thanks for understanding

Scott

I replied:

Got your message, Scott. Just curious, ...who is it you don't trust....me or Comiclink?

Brad

to which he replied:

Brad:

It's not really a matter of trust at all. Josh has always taken good care of me. But I'm not comfortable transferring the ownership of an expensive comic until payment is received.

Sorry...but you'll have to wait to add it to your registry until you receive the book (which is technically how it should work anyway)

I'm sure Josh will send the payment and book as soon as he can.

Scott

This was my final message, which went unanswered:

Scott,

We are talking about points in a comic book registry set, which have no actual monetary value. I find your position quite curious. I've been a CGC boardmember for going on five years with a stellar reputation. I figured in the spirit of good neighborliness it wasn't that big a deal. I certainly wouldn't think twice about it. I'm sure if there were any problems, you could get the moderators to suck the points out my registry set again like they did today.

Remember, this is coming from a guy with 179,000 registry points, holding up the transfer of 320 points after he'd seen his book get a GPA record $900. You think the guy could be a little bit more gracious?

Oh no you don't. Once you crack the case open, the given grade is NULL and VOID ! The registry is for slabbed books and SLABBED books only. If you cracked open the case of a registered book, please remove it from the registry, NOW ! :whistle:

In all seriousness, that's kind of what I was thinking and that's what I've been doing. I've got about 15 - 20 graded books that I cracked out to read once and then figured I probably shouldn't add them to my registry set.

If I could add those books in, heck I might break into the top 700. :insane:

Having never even looked at the registry and knowing nothing about, I'm going to say turokhunter here has it right. A pet peeve of mine has always been books cracked from the slab that the owners still present and sell and price as if it were still in the slab. It's not and whatever grade CGC gave it is now meaningless since the book is no longer protected from wear and damage.

Oh no you don't. Once you crack the case open, the given grade is NULL and VOID ! The registry is for slabbed books and SLABBED books only. If you cracked open the case of a registered book, please remove it from the registry, NOW ! :whistle:

In all seriousness, that's kind of what I was thinking and that's what I've been doing. I've got about 15 - 20 graded books that I cracked out to read once and then figured I probably shouldn't add them to my registry set.

Having never even looked at the registry and knowing nothing about, I'm going to say turokhunter here has it right. A pet peeve of mine has always been books cracked from the slab that the owners still present and sell and price as if it were still in the slab. It's not and whatever grade CGC gave it is now meaningless since the book is no longer protected from wear and damage.

Right on (thumbs u

Well...that's still kind of what I'm thinking, so I guess I'll leave 'em in the slab. Now I need a low grade reader of Superboy 36.

Well...that's still kind of what I'm thinking, so I guess I'll leave 'em in the slab. Now I need a low grade reader of Superboy 36.

^^

I was thinking along these lines but have had a change of heart. The registry should be indicative of an individual having submitted a book for grading and still having the book in their possession - nothing more, IMHO.

If Joe Blow decides to break it out and drops it so that a nice corner bump drops the grade by 2-3 grades, so what?? he had the book registered by CGC as grade "X" , it's still his book and that should be the end of that story............. (shrug) , but i can understand the other side of the argument.

Guess there's no real way to resolve the issue..............

Alecholland: Have you not been reading the responses, everybody but one person thinks it's okay to crack the slab and keep your registry points.

If you think a slab protects a grade forever, put your slab in a paint mixer/shaker and see what happens or better yet I'd like to see you take a chance and drop your slab in the bottom of your pool for a week. Nothing would probably happen but would you take the chance. Don't take registry points so seriously, nobody else does. It's for fun.

Jim

I was thinking along these lines but have had a change of heart. The registry should be indicative of an individual having submitted a book for grading and still having the book in their possession - nothing more, IMHO.

If Joe Blow decides to break it out and drops it so that a nice corner bump drops the grade by 2-3 grades, so what?? he had the book registered by CGC as grade "X" , it's still his book and that should be the end of that story............. (shrug) , but i can understand the other side of the argument.

Guess there's no real way to resolve the issue..............

Sorry but I can't agree with you. The graded books are also part of the CGC census. If Joe Blow deslabbed and then dropped his book, thus lowering the grade, that book should no longer qualify as one of the census.

After I saw the points pulled back out of my set, I sent him this message. This was followed by a couple of exchanges, which were pretty strange...

Dear Colorado Comics:

I was the winner (and buyer) of the Daredevil #29 CGC 9.6 Green River that you sold through the recent comiclink auction. I would appreciate it if you would let me transfer it to my set.

Feel free to verify this with Josh at Comiclink.

Thanks,

Brad

His reply:

Hi Brad:

Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable transferring the ownership on this book, until I have been paid in full.

I'm sure Josh will process payments as soon as he can, so please hang in there. That awesome DD #29 will be yours soon and I'll transfer the ownership to your registry set.

I'm glad you are excited to get it.

Thanks for understanding

Scott

I replied:

Got your message, Scott. Just curious, ...who is it you don't trust....me or Comiclink?

Brad

to which he replied:

Brad:

It's not really a matter of trust at all. Josh has always taken good care of me. But I'm not comfortable transferring the ownership of an expensive comic until payment is received.

Sorry...but you'll have to wait to add it to your registry until you receive the book (which is technically how it should work anyway)

I'm sure Josh will send the payment and book as soon as he can.

Scott

This was my final message, which went unanswered:

Scott,

We are talking about points in a comic book registry set, which have no actual monetary value. I find your position quite curious. I've been a CGC boardmember for going on five years with a stellar reputation. I figured in the spirit of good neighborliness it wasn't that big a deal. I certainly wouldn't think twice about it. I'm sure if there were any problems, you could get the moderators to suck the points out my registry set again like they did today.

Remember, this is coming from a guy with 179,000 registry points, holding up the transfer of 320 points after he'd seen his book get a GPA record $900. You think the guy could be a little bit more gracious?

Much ado aboutnothing... :screwy:

What I don't understand is the idea that the book being in a certain registry set somehow defines a legal claim toward ownership.

If you so desired, you could go through eBay all day long registering books that don't belong to you and no one would be the wiser until they tried to register the same book.

What I don't understand is the idea that the book being in a certain registry set somehow defines a legal claim toward ownership.

If you so desired, you could go through eBay all day long registering books that don't belong to you and no one would be the wiser until they tried to register the same book.

I can see your point in regards to the points system. My argument is meant to lean more towards maintaining the integrity of the census. Ive seen instances where the census number of a certain grade of certain comic issues, has been used when determining the value or, should I say, selling price, of a book. I think it helps us, as collectors, to keep the census as accurate as possible. (shrug)

In other words, if a book is deslabbed, the deslabber should notify CGC so that the book can be removed from the census. :whistle:

I know of at least one person with an impressive registry set, that's sold off almost their entire collection, and is actively trying to sell the rest

I've bought a few of these books, sometimes as 2nd or 3rd owner after the original sell off, and they are still registered to the original seller when I add them to my set.

no problems transferring over though

If the book is cracked the certification as CGC states is now NOT Guaranteed any more till its reholdered/re-graded and put in a new case.

I would never pay anyone the same amount of money for a book that has been cracked versus one that it still in the slab. You can't assume the the book in now the same grade after being opened.

Now for the registry, I would hope that most of us who take it with good fun and pride make sure the comics we all have in ours sets are true to form, and thats all I have to say about that.

I know of at least one person with an impressive registry set, that's sold off almost their entire collection, and is actively trying to sell the rest

I've bought a few of these books, sometimes as 2nd or 3rd owner after the original sell off, and they are still registered to the original seller when I add them to my set.

What was kind of jarring was that I was initially able to transfer the book over to my registry set, and then this guy decided it was important to pull the book back out of my set. That's something else entirely.

If the book is cracked the certification as CGC states is now NOT Guaranteed any more till its reholdered/re-graded and put in a new case.

I would never pay anyone the same amount of money for a book that has been cracked versus one that it still in the slab. You can't assume the the book in now the same grade after being opened.

Now for the registry, I would hope that most of us who take it with good fun and pride make sure the comics we all have in ours sets are true to form, and thats all I have to say about that.

I sure miss those old Batman flicks. :cloud9:

What was kind of jarring was that I was initially able to transfer the book over to my registry set, and then this guy decided it was important to pull the book back out of my set. That's something else entirely.

That is a little scary. I'd hate to wake up in the morning to find out that original owners, pulled half the slabs, from my registry. :o