• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,943 posts in this topic

No doubt.A stunner.Now if my Peanuts looked like that!

I miss my Peanuts books more than the Adams books I sold! I only have one left.

That Peanuts #1 auction last week almost got me back in!

Just got back my coupon submission. I am very happy with three of them, but the fourth has me baffled.

What the? This one looked better than the Super Friends! Either CGC typed in the wrong grade, or there is something going on inside the book that I missed. However, there are no grader's notes??? How are there no grader's notes? There is no spine stress, the corners are sharp, the edges are sharp, there are no dents, bends stains, holes, etc. I almost want crack this out and re-sub because the difference in value between an 8.0 and a 9.8 is about $500!

Joker1CGC80WA_zps2b4072e1.jpg

You have to pay to get grader's notes.

I know, but CGC's website says that there are no notes available. I don't even have the option to buy them. I can see this with a 9.8 as there is not much to note. However, I would think an 8.0 would warrant notes to explain how they arrived at this grade.

Hey Kaptain!

Ok, I see what the main problem is with this book.

Apparently, this book was kept in a comicbag for a *long* time. Long enough that that the plastic of the bag adhered to the front cover in places.

As some point in the past, when the book was finally removed from the bag, the bag took a lot of color and ink from the front cover.

If you look at the big "JOKER" logo, it should be a solid red. However, all those yellow streaks on the logo are from where color was literally peeled off the front cover.

(And this probably happened years ago- if something like this occurred when one of the graders at CGC removed a book from a bag, CGC would contact the submitter. While this is not a common defect, it is one we see every once in a while in the grading room. It seems to be most common with DCs and Marvel from the 70s and early 80s and almost always affects the reds in the cover the most.)

That's why, even though it looks *structurally* to be around a 9.4, it only got a VF grade.

I'm sorry it didn't get as high as you were hoping for.

Just got back my coupon submission. I am very happy with three of them, but the fourth has me baffled.

What the? This one looked better than the Super Friends! Either CGC typed in the wrong grade, or there is something going on inside the book that I missed. However, there are no grader's notes??? How are there no grader's notes? There is no spine stress, the corners are sharp, the edges are sharp, there are no dents, bends stains, holes, etc. I almost want crack this out and re-sub because the difference in value between an 8.0 and a 9.8 is about $500!

I know, but CGC's website says that there are no notes available. I don't even have the option to buy them. I can see this with a 9.8 as there is not much to note. However, I would think an 8.0 would warrant notes to explain how they arrived at this grade.

Hey Kaptain!

Apparently, this book was kept in a comicbag for a *long* time. Long enough that that the plastic of the bag adhered to the front cover in places.

As some point in the past, when the book was finally removed from the bag, the bag took a lot of color and ink from the front cover.

If you look at the big "JOKER" logo, it should be a solid red. However, all those yellow streaks on the logo are from where color was literally peeled off the front cover.

(And this probably happened years ago- if something like this occurred when one of the graders at CGC removed a book from a bag, CGC would contact the submitter. While this is not a common defect, it is one we see every once in a while in the grading room. It seems to be most common with DCs and Marvel from the 70s and early 80s and almost always affects the reds in the cover the most.)

That's why, even though it looks *structurally* to be around a 9.4, it only got a VF grade.

I like this. CGC graders come on board explaining why it didn't grade as high. My opinion is...this is excellent customer service.

Hey Kaptain!

I like this. CGC graders come on board explaining why it didn't grade as high. My opinion is...this is excellent customer service.

I like it too, but it does beg the question of why grader's notes were not available when there clearly were things to be noted. It also makes me wonder why they charge $5 for information they'll distribute for free on their chat board.

No doubt.A stunner.Now if my Peanuts looked like that!

I miss my Peanuts books more than the Adams books I sold! I only have one left.

That Peanuts #1 auction last week almost got me back in!

:signofftopic: again. I know sorry folks..but PM me anytime...I'm just 'holding ' yours for you... :acclaim:

Hey Kaptain!

Thanks for the explanation. That actually makes sense now that I compare the cover to others on the internet.

Hey Kaptain!

Wait until they send you the invoice for the graders notes. :baiting:

Hey Kaptain!

I like it too, but it does beg the question of why grader's notes were not available when there clearly were things to be noted. It also makes me wonder why they charge $5 for information they'll distribute for free on their chat board.

Because sometimes good customer service is worth more than $5….

OK, got these back yesterday... most are what I expected. The PLOD JLA #1 was NOT expected... no idea there was a tear seal, especially when I bought it in 1988! Also, pretty sure the Action 252 did NOT have those blackish spots (burn marks??) or that vertical tan shadow when I had it pressed by CCS... But stupid me didn't take a pic beforehand, so not at all sure.

Anyway, here goes!

Unexpected PLOD!! My first!

imagejpg7-1.jpg

Not sure where the black specks (mid left, near Superman's elbow) or that vertical tan shadow came from. Pressing artifact from CCS? NOT blaming anybody... just didn't remember that on a book I've had for 25 years.

imagejpg4-1.jpg

My favorite book and grail when I was a youngster! Bought this with the JLA 1 in a package deal in 1988

imagejpg8-1.jpg

One of my favorite covers of all-time (gotta' love the PQ)

imagejpg5-1.jpg

More JLA love

imagejpg6-1.jpg

Love the giant turtle! And purple is my favorite color... (PQ goodness here too!)

imagejpg2-2.jpg

From my favorite movie of this past summer! (Yeah! nice PQ!)

imagejpg3-2.jpg

I've always loved the Sentinels!

imagejpg9-1.jpg

My favorite girl from my early collecting days!

imagejpg1-3.jpg

Edited by TankShiba

Here are a few books from my first submission which arrived a short while ago. I really thought that some books would have a shot at getting above a 9.8, especially the top two square bound books on the right. They were basically perfect copies.

The Darkness 9.6 has a ncb spine tick on the back cover... but that's it. The Darkchylde 9.6... beats me. Looks identical to the 9.8.

But overall, I'm pretty happy (especially with the B&W books, which people said couldn't be done).

RT4mqiy.jpg