• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,943 posts in this topic

Well, when an established boardie sends you a "high grade" comic and it comes back 6.0, perhaps something hidden is going on there.

The rest of the grades are in-line with my initial assessments, though I really was hoping for a 9.0 on the 251.

Who is the established boardie?

I have a PM out to him right now letting him know about the grade. Since the deal was made some time ago, I deleted the original conversation where he stated his assessment on condition, but I do recall it being definitely higher than Fine.

Checking his post history, he hasn't been on for a bit, but I want to let him know privately and see what he thinks.

What was the seller's estimated grade? And when you received and looked the book over did you agree with their stated grade?

That's what I'm trying to figure out -- his stated grade -- before anything else. I do remember looking it over when receiving and it looked fine. Before sending it in for grading I did take another look and saw the corner was more rounded than I remembered and saw it fall a couple points because of it, but nothing to drop to a 6.0.

I'm not looking for pitchforks or accusations; I just want to know what made it take the dive. And if the seller believed the grade to be much higher, perhaps he would spring for the notes.

It's a book for my personal collection, so even if it was advertised as 8.0 and came back 7.0 I'd be happy.

Edited by manetteska

Well, when an established boardie sends you a "high grade" comic and it comes back 6.0, perhaps something hidden is going on there.

The rest of the grades are in-line with my initial assessments, though I really was hoping for a 9.0 on the 251.

Who is the established boardie?

I have a PM out to him right now letting him know about the grade. Since the deal was made some time ago, I deleted the original conversation where he stated his assessment on condition, but I do recall it being definitely higher than Fine.

Checking his post history, he hasn't been on for a bit, but I want to let him know privately and see what he thinks.

What was the seller's estimated grade? And when you received and looked the book over did you agree with their stated grade?

That's what I'm trying to figure out -- his stated grade -- before anything else. I do remember looking it over when receiving and it looked fine. Before sending it in for grading I did take another look and saw the corner was more rounded than I remembered and saw it fall a couple points because of it, but nothing to drop to a 6.0.

I'm not looking for pitchforks or accusations; I just want to know what made it take the dive. And if the seller believed the grade to be much higher, perhaps he would spring for the notes.

It's a book for my personal collection, so even if it was advertised as 8.0 and came back 7.0 I'd be happy.

How "long ago" was the deal made from the time you sent it to CGC for grading?

I mean, if it is a week or a month, fine but if it was like 6 months...How long should a seller be responsible for a book once it leaves their possession?

To be clear, I have no horse in this race, just curious.

Finally got my 4 free back from CGC. For my first submission I was pretty off on my grades but I learned a bit and hopefully I will do a better job grading books in the future :) Odd how they came in 2 different style cases.

1zbb591.jpg

30lmedt.jpg

t86avc.jpg

33xbn61.jpg

iVVAWKv.jpg

Five signatures, three conventions, and one sketch artist later...

6hpoTx3.jpg

All praise to dscott for shuttling this thing around the country and Scott Blair for the sketch.

really cool book Dragon ! :)

Thanks! I purchased it as a 9.8 with the Stan Lee and Michael Rooker sigs already on it...I'm just blown away that it stayed a 9.8. Again, Doug and Scott obviously handled it with the greatest of care.