• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics # 35

71 posts in this topic

well...if I had of won the 3.0 restored tec 35 at a "reasonable" price (say $6K), I had a firm offer on my 2.5 (looks much better, but has tape on spine, so downgraded) of $8K...so, prices on tec 35 still seem to be going crazy, but $5K for a front cover only, that is insane...and, bluechip's copy is still sitting there at $7700, so I suspect again, it was a "unique" circumstance (shrug) that won't nec. translate into the market paying "much" higher now, just because the results of one auction would lead them to believe that (like the MF 52 deal)

At this time it's okay with me if it sits there. If it sells it makes your 3.0 all the more valuable. If it doesn't, then it's added publicity for the book and the market. If it's real potential is less, then it will find that amount, anyway, and I may or may not choose to sell it at that. Same with the action 7. I saw the post making an insane face about the price on that (and omitting the fact it's the Siegel copy), and I was reminded of how many times I' ve seen things listed by people on this board and I thought the price was insane but held off saying anything while the sale was pending, out of courtesy.

BC nice story behind this book but there is no way in todays dollars or even in 5 years this cover is worth $5,000. Maybe for a MC#1 or an Action #1 but when there are 3 other copies on the market, why wouldn't you just be smart and try and scoop one that sold for $10,000 or less? Work a deal out, do time payments for the other 5 bills, sell some other books to fund the purchase. Only thing that makes sense is that someone put in a super high bid to make sure they would win it and then had it run up to just below the maximum.

Considering I bought this from Metro for something like $750 and then resold it last year very quickly for $1,300 I find it completely unbelievable that two people bid over $4,000 for just a cover. Someone got hosed.

Tec38Raw.jpg[/img]

Considering that I bought this book for a buck at a flea market 2 miles from Peter's house and was then able to turn around and fleece him for $750, I find none of this surprising.

S

well...if I had of won the 3.0 restored tec 35 at a "reasonable" price (say $6K), I had a firm offer on my 2.5 (looks much better, but has tape on spine, so downgraded) of $8K...so, prices on tec 35 still seem to be going crazy, but $5K for a front cover only, that is insane...and, bluechip's copy is still sitting there at $7700, so I suspect again, it was a "unique" circumstance (shrug) that won't nec. translate into the market paying "much" higher now, just because the results of one auction would lead them to believe that (like the MF 52 deal)

At this time it's okay with me if it sits there. If it sells it makes your 3.0 all the more valuable. If it doesn't, then it's added publicity for the book and the market. If it's real potential is less, then it will find that amount, anyway, and I may or may not choose to sell it at that. Same with the action 7. I saw the post making an insane face about the price on that (and omitting the fact it's the Siegel copy), and I was reminded of how many times I' ve seen things listed by people on this board and I thought the price was insane but held off saying anything while the sale was pending, out of courtesy.

hey bob

I hear you...I Think it is great that you have the books out there, exposure is good...I don't recall anyone making a pricing comment on the action 7 (I must have missed it), but I Think you have the right to ask any price you want, and negotiate from there (thumbs u

Considering I bought this from Metro for something like $750 and then resold it last year very quickly for $1,300 I find it completely unbelievable that two people bid over $4,000 for just a cover. Someone got hosed.

Tec38Raw.jpg[/img]

Considering that a bought this book for a buck at a flea market 2 miles from Peter's house and was then able to turn around and fleece him for $750, I find none of this surprising.

S

I could swear it was the copy I had some years back but that backstory would mean it wasn't. Must've been one that had similar damage. I'm trying to remember when it was I got it. Seems I was driving along a road in new york and pulled over to a flea market. Hey..... the old lady who sold it to me must've had a whole pile of 'em. Maybe she's the sharpest dealer of of all. She's got an unlimited supply and selling them off one at a time. Yeah....

Tec38Raw.jpg[/img]

Considering that a bought this book for a buck at a flea market 2 miles from Peter's house and was then able to turn around and fleece him for $750, I find none of this surprising.

S

I could swear it was the copy I had some years back but that backstory would mean it wasn't. Must've been one that had similar damage. I'm trying to remember when it was I got it. Seems I was driving along a road in new york and pulled over to a flea market. Hey..... the old lady who sold it to me must've had a whole pile of 'em. Maybe she's the sharpest dealer of of all. She's got an unlimited supply and selling them off one at a time. Yeah....

heck, I'll pay $2

Lets dismantle a CGC 2.0 Detective # 35 into parts for ultimate value.

Lets see, Front Cover $5000.00...Back Cover $2500.00...Centerfold...$4000.00...and the rest is an easy $2500.00...All this adds up to...$14000.00 lol

At that rate, the staples might fetch $500 apiece :cool:

For the record, that wasn't a poke at the price. It was more like a "Wow! I wonder if someone would pay that much considering an 8.0 just went for $143K?" icon :foryou: I guess I used the wrong icon :)

For the record, that wasn't a poke at the price. It was more like a "Wow! I wonder if someone would pay that much considering an 8.0 just went for $143K?" icon :foryou: I guess I used the wrong icon :)

Hey, thanks for the clarification.

As to what people may pay, to me it's all relative. Years ago I might've thought that a high price.

But when people are paying mid five figures for adventures and low five figures for bronze age books (some with census notes like "873 copies in 9.4. 1789 higher")?

My gut always told me that a book with special provenance in semi-decent shape or better would be as appealing to me as the same book in very fine or near mint condition. Not necessarily as much as a perfect perfect copy, because that involves people with a different mindsight. But as much as the average really nice newsstand fresh copy? Yeah, that's what I'd guess.

Even so some might say 70K plus is high. But there's a ("gasp") RESTORED silver age book on ebay right now asking 75K, yet I haven't seen a thread calling it a big piece of spoon that because of the purple label must not be allowed to sell for more 25% of guide good.

So, who knows? I don't want to get in anybody's way if they're laying on the b.s. to pump up this book or that. But I sure would prefer if they don't want shovel any of it onto my books in the process.

Thanks again.

metro just posted the Larson 7 on their site...it is the slightly cleaned one...

I couldn't afford it at $35K before, no way I can afford it now, assuming that the price will jump (not without some serious time payments!) lol

But there's a ("gasp") RESTORED silver age book on ebay right now asking 75K, yet I haven't seen a thread calling it a big piece of spoon that because of the purple label must not be allowed to sell for more 25% of guide good.

In the discussion of the ComicLink auction last week there was plenty of criticism of the sales price of a restored Silver Age Marvel key so it happens.

Considering that I bought this book for a buck at a flea market 2 miles from Peter's house and was then able to turn around and fleece him for $750, I find none of this surprising.

S

:cloud9:lol Those damn CGC guys wouldn't slab this book otherwise I probably could have milked a few more dollars out of someone on this flip. :grin: I do miss this book (especially given the market for them now) as it is one of my favorite GA DC covers.

But there's a ("gasp") RESTORED silver age book on ebay right now asking 75K, yet I haven't seen a thread calling it a big piece of spoon that because of the purple label must not be allowed to sell for more 25% of guide good.

In the discussion of the ComicLink auction last week there was plenty of criticism of the sales price of a restored Silver Age Marvel key so it happens.

Probably the same guy, how else could you explain this.

Yep, and I was whining the loudest

But I am sure your whining was logical.

But I am sure your whining was logical.

Thanks Bro

hmm, would you think that it is possible that the buyer thought the Tec 35 offered for sale was not just a front cover, but rather a complete book?

That's what I was thinking but hard to imagine two or more bidders thought this as well....At 5 grand for a Front Cover only, Heritage may be offering more than a few Tec # 35's in their future auctions..Seems to be an intentional price run up hm