• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.4 copy of AA #16?!

188 posts in this topic

Considering the number of MH Adventures and other books Geppi is letting go of youd think it makes sense that maybe he is trying to gather up funds for a book like this.
The only thing geppi builds cash for is to pay his ballplayers
I wish he'd raise some to keep paying his freelancers.

well thats only because we are in a recession.

well, if you believe that than I quess you believe geppi needs to sell books to build cash..

Gemstone ain't makin' him rich anymore...

Considering the number of MH Adventures and other books Geppi is letting go of youd think it makes sense that maybe he is trying to gather up funds for a book like this.

well, if you believe that than I quess you believe geppi needs to sell books to build cash..

so than he will just have to sell more books

WOW...

I have a feeling my chances of even owning a horrid- copy are slim to none...so, I'll just stare at that one;) :cloud9:

Does your friend Richard own a copy of #16?

Bang:

Any idea how your copy would rank against this one? You've hinted that this is the one book you may get slabbed.

--Gary

Bang:

Any idea how your copy would rank against this one?

I have no idea.

I've never seen a CGC graded book in person so I'm clueless. (shrug)

Whatever its grade, I'm happy with it.

all-american16.jpg

I bet! :cloud9:

Wouldnt you agree that this book is probably the 3rd or 4th most valuable comicbook ever!? Only trailing the Mile High Action 1 and the Allentown Detective 27.

I have to think that the MH Marvel Comcis #1 would be worth more, so long as it wasn`t restored.

But you need a checkbook to make a sale. 400K tops.

In a world where a 9.0 AF 15 can sell for $139K, I think there are plenty of people who would write a check for $400K for the MH AA 16.

According to John from my discussion with him at last years Chicago Con, he feels very strongly that the MC 1 is a 9.8 and would be better if not for the Mile High penciling(I don't know if CGC hits for that, I would think not). Lets just say that its a 9.6/9.4 at that level with the significance of being a Church book, and the grade(He says never been touched, I tend to believe him) since he ponied up over 250K 5 years ago for the Allentowne CAP 1 in 9.6, to replace the touched Church copy. That it would be more valuable than the AA 16, at least in theory. I suppose a book is only worth what will be paid for it at that time, but having one of the big three in that grade be it 9.4, 9.6, or 9.8? would seem to have a advantage of being more sought after.

But you need a checkbook to make a sale. 400K tops.

In a world where a 9.0 AF 15 can sell for $139K, I think there are plenty of people who would write a check for $400K for the MH AA 16.

Agreed, and I believe more.

Geppi needs to sell books to build cash to buy this book? lol.

Like Mel gibson owns Malibu, Geppi owns Baltimore. The only thing geppi builds cash for is to pay his ballplayers

Geppi is just a small minority owner of the Orioles. Peter DeAngelos is the "real" owner.

Id rather pony up 2 million for the Action1 than 800K for the AA16. Even 3 million... if I had it.

It`s not an either/or proposition. You`re making it sound like it`s important to hoard your dollars because just maybe the MH Action 1 will suddenly appear for sale and you`ll be bummed because you blew $800K on the AA 16 and thus no longer have enough funds to buy the Action 1.

Passing up on the AA 16 doesn`t mean you`re going to get an opportunity to buy the Action 1. All it means is that you`ll have passed up on the AA 16. Just because Action 1 might be a worthier deal at $2 million doesn`t mean that the AA 16 isn`t a good deal at $800K.

I usually understand your reasoning, even if I don`t always reach the same conclusion as you, but I`m really having a hard time following you here.

The thing is, reading this thread, the number appears to be so high as to be perverse. I've complained that my entire comics value framework is screwed up because of the recent sales. This thing? This thing has basically knocked me on my .

Not really Rob. The reason this sale (if the reported price is true) is so much higher than any other reported sale is that unlike other hobbies (stamps, baseball cards), none of the very top books have ever come up for sale publicly, and they all last changed hands 15-25 years ago. If the MH Action 1 had publicly traded hands as frequently as the Honus Wagner baseball card, the standard would be measured in millions and $800K for a "lesser" GA key would just plug right into the overall price heirarchy.

so than he will just have to sell more books

lol He should sell some more books so they can get back to publishing more Disney comics and EC reprints. To heck with his collection!

According to John from my discussion with him at last years Chicago Con, he feels very strongly that the MC 1 is a 9.8 and would be better if not for the Mile High penciling(I don't know if CGC hits for that, I would think not). Lets just say that its a 9.6/9.4 at that level with the significance of being a Church book, and the grade(He says never been touched, I tend to believe him) since he ponied up over 250K 5 years ago for the Allentowne CAP 1 in 9.6, to replace the touched Church copy. That it would be more valuable than the AA 16, at least in theory. I suppose a book is only worth what will be paid for it at that time, but having one of the big three in that grade be it 9.4, 9.6, or 9.8? would seem to have a advantage of being more sought after.

I think the grade of the MH MC 1 is not that important, so long as it reaches the 9.4/NM mark. It`s more the fact that it`s likely the best copy in existence that would drive its value. I really don`t think its price would change that much whether it were a 9.4, 9.6 or 9.8. And yes, I think it would be the 3rd most valuable book in existence, behind the MH Action 1 and AT Detective 27.

Thanks for reminding us about the AT Cap #1. If that could sell for $260K years ago, long before this most recent explosion in prices, what would it sell for today, and does $800K (or more) for a AA 16 look more reasonable in that context?

A 9.8 MC#1 would blow my mind. Anyone here seen it in person recently?