• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.4 copy of AA #16?!

188 posts in this topic

doh! I just realized it was Verzyl's comics that were photographed for the Gerber guides.

Man, some people's collections just blow me away...

yep....very cool to "see"

If any of you did not make it Chicago last year I'll retell my little ditty. It's pretty funny.

I walked into Bedrock City's booth and there where a bunch of good 'ole boys sitting down. There I met a bunch of forumites. After Detective 27 kid, Ciorac, Mr. Schomburg introduce themselves they introduce me to some guy named John. So I asked what they all collected. After some niceties D27K drops the bomb.

"John owns the entire Mile High/Church Timely run. Except for the Cap #1. It's an Allentown."

So I say "yeah right. Marvel Comics #1 too, right?"

John says "Yeah, I think it's a 9.8"

I say again "Yeah right" with this look on my face that probably said "I think I am starting to believe this"

I think at this point Richy was krapping himself trying not to laugh.

I think my expression was pretty amusing to the boys.

It was good times, for sure. That little meeting was a big part of me selling off most of my silver and bronze getting into GA books.

Roy.

well roy, you have been welcomed into a (in my opinion) wonderful fraternity (and I mean that in a unisex way-Sha) :)

I don't wade into the deep end of the pool so I wouldn't mind hearing more informed opinion as to why this book is worth dramatically more than the Church Flash 1 9.6.

The Flash would seem to have a lot going for it by comparison. It's a 9.6, I'd personally think Flash is a somewhat more known character to the mainstream public, and it's a true #1 with first app in the title book itself, which I'd also think would make it somewhat more accessible to the public at large.

On the other hand, I realize that:

The AA #16 seems to be tougher in high grade. That said, there are only 5 unrestored copies of Flash 1 at or above 6.0 in the census, compared to 2 copies of the AA 16. And only 2 copies of Flash 1 above 7.5, so clearly it's still a very tough get for high grade collectors.

The Flash 1 was on the public market for a period of time. The AA 16 has more or less had to be enticed out of a long term collection in a private transaction. Therefore the Church AA 16 apparently has a mystique not unlike the Church Action 1.

I'd love to hear some opinion on how some of you high end collectors sort these issues out on these two books.

From a personal standpoint, I love Flash #1 (1st app of 3 DC characters) while AA#16 just does nothing for me. Flash #1 is a more important/historic book. AA#16 is tougher in high grade.

Between the MH Flash #1 and MH AA#16, I would take the Flash #1 in a heartbeat.

S

I don't wade into the deep end of the pool so I wouldn't mind hearing more informed opinion as to why this book is worth dramatically more than the Church Flash 1 9.6.

The Flash would seem to have a lot going for it by comparison. It's a 9.6, I'd personally think Flash is a somewhat more known character to the mainstream public, and it's a true #1 with first app in the title book itself, which I'd also think would make it somewhat more accessible to the public at large.

The AA #16 seems to be tougher in high grade. That said, there are only 5 unrestored copies of Flash 1 at or above 6.0 in the census, compared to 2 copies of the AA 16. And only 2 copies of Flash 1 above 7.5, so clearly it's still a very tough get for high grade collectors.

The Flash 1 was on the public market for a period of time. The AA 16 has more or less had to be enticed out of a long term collection in a private transaction. Therefore the Church AA 16 apparently has a mystique not unlike the Church Action 1.

I'd love to hear some opinion on how some of you high end collectors sort these issues out on these two books.

From a personal standpoint, I love Flash #1 (1st app of 3 DC characters) while AA#16 just does nothing for me. Flash #1 is a more important/historic book. AA#16 is tougher in high grade.

S

I've held both books and both are AMAZING! Flash Comics #1 is just too common in comparision to choose it. AA #16 for me.

West

S

I agree with Steve's choice. However, AA 16 does a LOT for me. I just prefer Flash #1. It is a much cooler book and would love to have any high grade copy, let alone the MH.

B

That book makes me crazy. Like run-around-naked-on-the-front-lawn-and-scream-I-want-one crazy. Wow. Maybe if I do that in Chicago.....

No. Maybe not.

Still, that pic is literally worth a $1,000,000.

(worship)

S

I agree with Steve's choice. However, AA 16 does a LOT for me. I just prefer Flash #1. It is a much cooler book and would love to have any high grade copy, let alone the MH.

B

I agree with both of you gentlemen. I would pick Flash #1 as well, but can say without a doubt that AA 16 is worth more.

I would love to have both :cloud9: but if I had to pick one ( value not factored into the equation) it would be Flash 1

so what was the book originally bought for? (no 10 cent jokes off the newstand) did he buy it from Chuck or later on?

Thanks! Never even thought to look in the Gallery.

Wow.

I figured it would be in there. CGC process a book like that and don't take pics? Hardly! :grin:

how do you view the gallery? is the new tec 27 in there?

I finally had a chance to scan the article listed on CGC about the AA #16. What I find even more amazing besides the #16 itself is the fact that the owner has a run of 75 issues of the AA Church collection between #16-102, let alone most of the Timely's.Must be mind boggling to own all of those Church copies.