• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Comics: Horror, Crime, Sex And Gore Sparked Backlash In 1950s

22 posts in this topic

"Ten cents at your neighborhood drugstore or news stand will buy your child a short course in murder, mayhem, robbery, rape, cannibalism, carnage, sex, sadism and worse."

Ahhh, the good ole days :cloud9:

Nice to read, thank for the link.

Pre-code horror... :cloud9:

Yes but I have issues with this quote:

"By 1952, one in three comic books sold in the U.S. was a horror comic, Hadju writes."

I doubt that's true. Horror comics first didn't represent 1/3rd of the comics published. So while it's possible that they represented 1/3rd of the comics sold, I find that doubtful because of how high the numbers for the staples (Batman, Supes, Disney, ...) still were that I can't fathom they ended up being one third of the books sold.

Great article - thanks for posting

-----------------------------------------------------

[Pete Morisi talking with Charles Biro]

"'Listen, Pete,'" he (Biro) says, "'We've got a good thing going here, and we don't want to lose it. I don't want to see any blood and guts. I don't want any violence. Just give me detail, lots of detail!'

"'Detail of what?' I say. 'What am I supposed to show?'

"Charlie says, ' :censored: ' (4 letter word, starts with T)

lollollollollollollollollollollol

Man, I see a copy of Web of Mystery, Astonishing, and Fantastic Fears. Anyone make anything else out in the pile??? (shrug)

That might be VOODOO right under the WoM.

I HATE the burning of books. I remember when one of my older sisters got religious back in the 70's and attended a rock album burning. I hated that, too.

Man, I see a copy of Web of Mystery, Astonishing, and Fantastic Fears. Anyone make anything else out in the pile??? (shrug)

That might be VOODOO right under the WoM.

I HATE the burning of books. I remember when one of my older sisters got religious back in the 70's and attended a rock album burning. I hated that, too.

Reminds me of reading of that 1966 brouhaha over John Lennon's comments about the Beatles and Jesus that resulted in some Beatles vinyl going up in smoke in the Deep South of the U.S. (maybe elsewhere too, who knows). His comments were misconstrued, but once that fear starts, Lord have mercy.

Thanks for the link to the article, Mac Man. I'm looking forward to picking up a copy of the book.