• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,491 posts in this topic

Can't tell if that is a comic in the background:

20070219-Internment.jpg

That's a very old newspaper headline - I hope. I'd like to read one some day proclaiming "Ouster of All Politicians Near!"

Many fabulous pictures in this thread though.

(thumbs u

Edited by Hepcat

Can't tell if that is a comic in the background:

20070219-Internment.jpg

That's a very old newspaper headline - I hope. I'd like to read one some day proclaiming "Ouster of All Politicians Near!"

Many fabulous pictures in this thread though.

(thumbs u

That newspaper headline probably relates to Executive Order 9066 (February 1942) which led to subsequent orders like this:

Japanese%20internment%20order1.jpg

For me, the most interesting images in this thread are the pictures of the kids in the internment camps reading Timely comics.

Edited by sfcityduck

Hopefully the *^@%^&% that sent the kids to those camps ended up good and solidly interned themselves for those actions.

rantrant

Edited by Hepcat

I just found this board, so cool!

I run a blog called Hey Kids, Comics! which features stories of people discovering comics for the first time (or later). I also run vintage photos that I've found on Google. I never realized a number of them came from here, so since then I've tried to make sure I credit where I found them.

This is the blog: http://heykidscomix.blogspot.com/

...I'm also working on a Hey Kids! book, which will feature all-new essays from various authors, comic book pros, journalists, and people from other walks of life. You can learn more about the book on the blog or on its Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hey-Kids-Comics/190575329741

I also have a vintage comics pic of my own! This is my Dad circa 1941 I believe:

dad.gif

...I love this pic. My Dad stopped reading comics when he hit his teens, but the pic was too good not to use as the header for my blog.

rob!

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

I run a blog called Hey Kids, Comics! which features stories of people discovering comics for the first time (or later). I also run vintage photos that I've found on Google. I never realized a number of them came from here, so since then I've tried to make sure I credit where I found them.

...I'm also working on a Hey Kids! book, which will feature all-new essays from various authors, comic book pros, journalists, and people from other walks of life. You can learn more about the book on the blog or on its Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hey-Kids-Comics/190575329741

I also have a vintage comics pic of my own! This is my Dad circa 1941 I believe:

dad.gif

...I love this pic. My Dad stopped reading comics when he hit his teens, but the pic was too good not to use as the header for my blog.

rob!

It's one of the best pictures of Centaurs that I recall seeing. Amazing!

WOAH! Missed the original post. Action 9, Detective 24, Adventure 35. A great pic.

Anyone seen this one?

8a10871v.jpg

that is one of the coolest things i have seen on the boards!

:o :o :o

WOAH! Missed the original post. Action 9, Detective 24, Adventure 35. A great pic.

Anyone seen this one?

8a10871v.jpg

That is one of the best pictures in a while. Just look at those issues.... :cloud9:

Very cool photo! Esp. since it's your dad reading the comic! Please post more photos, if you have them. Welcome!

Welcome to the Boards! :hi:

dad.gif

rob!

Anyone seen this one?

8a10871v.jpg

That is one of the best pictures in a while. Just look at those issues.... :cloud9:

I totally agree! As a collector of early comics, it's just amazing to see a picture of those books on the newstand! I think this is one of the few photos I've seen with Centaurs! :whee:

Pulps were still the big brother to comics on the newstand, but not much longer!

Anyone seen this one?

8a10871v.jpg

I totally agree! As a collector of early comics, it's just amazing to see a picture of those books on the newstand! I think this is one of the few photos I've seen with Centaurs! :whee:

Pulps were still the big brother to comics on the newstand, but not much longer!

Comics are from Feb/march 1939. :cloud9:

Operator 5 pulp is March/April 1939

Anyone seen this one?

8a10871v.jpg

Comics are from Feb/march 1939. :cloud9:

Operator 5 pulp is March/April 1939

Darn! Wow!

Tec 24 , Action 9, etc. Thats way cool.