• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,403 posts in this topic

how about something a little different...

comic strip characters have been used in merchandising since the early days of the comic strips. little lulu was the centerpiece of an extensive advertising campaign for kleenex tissues in the 40s and 50s. this spectacular kleenex billboard with little lulu was located at the corner of 43rd & broadway in new york from the late 40s to early 60s. the billboard was animated with a series of lights that made lulu jump from one letter to the next. each time she landed, it would light a letter and when she turned the corner, lulu grabbed a neon kleenex and slid down the length of it to its neon box and the cycle would begin again. it was 35 feet high with about 24000 lights and cost $10000 a month to operate according to kiplingers magazine (mar 1950). notice the budweiser & camel signs in this late 40s picture.

lulubb.jpg

here's a color shot from 1957. any new yorkers remember this sign?

lulubb1957.jpg

here's a shot from the 1950 thanksgiving parade. the catch phrase is "you can blow your head off". :D

gal_balloon_1950_dachshund.jpg

a less spectacular billboard with capt marvel is on this truck in houston texas in june 1950.

ad2houston6-50.jpgad1houston6-50.jpg

here's a standard oil billboard with mickey mouse at 800 hill st in los angeles in 1939.

stdoil800hillst1939.jpgstdoilmickeyCloseup.jpg

we will now return to our regular scheduled programming...

how about something a little different...

we will now return to our regular scheduled programming...

That's really cool stuff. Thanks for posting it. (thumbs u

That. Is. Awesome.

Fabulous find. Any worthwhile info in the source of the pic?

how about something a lit

a less spectacular billboard with capt marvel is on this truck in houston texas in june 1950.

not much info on these pics but they are from a studio photo archive of houston from the 1930s to 1990s at briscoe center of american history at univ texas austin.

here's an oct 1938 shot of a san antonio stand with i believe is an issue of marvel science stories v1#2. all the comics were probably out of range.

sanantoniostand38.jpgmarvel_science_stories_193811_tn.jpg

i think houstonians have their own written dialect at this grocery store. :D

houstonstore30s.jpg

here's a color postcard of the kleenex billboard.

kleenexad.jpg

That. Is. Awesome.

Fabulous find. Any worthwhile info in the source of the pic?

how about something a lit

3176582273_c71bcf8fb7.jpg

I picked this up in PA. Saw the movie a few times while I lived in Michigan.

Didn't see any Captain Marvel artifacts in Houston other than at Roy's Memory Shop.

Edited by BB-Gun

i think houstonians have their own written dialect.

Yep. Shore do (thumbs u

i think houstonians have their own written dialect.

Yep. Shore do (thumbs u

shizzle out mon
???

man reading superman 62 while getting a massage or a medical exam in 1950.

supe62guy.jpg

This might become skypinkblu's new screen backdrop, what with the good looking half-naked man and all :baiting:

thats from a movie. the doctor is the actor who played Bernstien in Citizen Kane.

supe62guy.jpg

This might become skypinkblu's new screen backdrop, what with the good looking half-naked man and all :baiting:

thats from a movie. the doctor is the actor who played Bernstien in Citizen Kane.

Everett Sloane. My guess is this picture is from "The Men" starring Marlon Brando

supe62guy.jpg

Everett Sloane. My guess is this picture is from "The Men" starring Marlon Brando

Everyone's engrossed in the Superman comic and no one is paying any attention to the T-1000 lurking on the right...

detective35DF: cool pic! it seems that in many of the newsstand pics from the 30s & 40s, magazines & comics were displayed with clothespins.

aman619 & ciorac: the guy in the white coat did look familiar and i should of guessed the pic was a movie still with the bottom text.

thanks for all the cool info!

bb-gun: thanks for the mention of roy's memory shop which led to a treasure trove of many old pics from HoustonCon and other cons in the 1970s! houston looked like a hotbed of comic fandom back then. i think i saw MrBedrock in a few photos. there must be some pretty good stories from back then. :)

here's a few pics from that site:

roy bonario reading all star 17 at roy's memory shop 1971.

roy.jpg

ken donnell & kirk alyn looking at action 63 at houstoncon 1971. roy's booth in back with cool one-sheet posters.

MarkSuper.jpg

roy at houstoncon 1979. smoking in the dealers room! :eek:

rb1.jpg

roy at houstoncon 1979. another cigarette and watch those ashes! :eek:

roybonario3.jpg

willie patterson at houstoncon 1979. was there 3 copies of silver streak 6 or are those alan light reprints? :o

silver streak 7, showcase 4, trapped! and other books. imagine the chaos if cigarettes triggered the sprinklers above. :eek:

wp.jpg

i'm sorry i got side-tracked when bb-gun mentioned roy's memory shop...

supe62guy.jpg

Everyone's engrossed in the Superman comic and no one is paying any attention to the T-1000 lurking on the right...

lol

Great convention pics! (thumbs u

detective35DF: cool pic! it seems that in many of the newsstand pics from the 30s & 40s, magazines & comics were displayed with clothespins.

aman619 & ciorac: the guy in the white coat did look familiar and i should of guessed the pic was a movie still with the bottom text.

thanks for all the cool info!

bb-gun: thanks for the mention of roy's memory shop which led to a treasure trove of many old pics from HoustonCon and other cons in the 1970s! houston looked like a hotbed of comic fandom back then. i think i saw MrBedrock in a few photos. there must be some pretty good stories from back then. :)

here's a few pics from that site:

roy bonario reading all star 17 at roy's memory shop 1971.

roy.jpg

ken donnell & kirk alyn looking at action 63 at houstoncon 1971. roy's booth in back with cool one-sheet posters.

MarkSuper.jpg

roy at houstoncon 1979. smoking in the dealers room! :eek:

rb1.jpg

roy at houstoncon 1979. another cigarette and watch those ashes! :eek:

roybonario3.jpg

willie patterson at houstoncon 1979. was there 3 copies of silver streak 6 or are those alan light reprints? :o

silver streak 7, showcase 4, trapped! and other books. imagine the chaos if cigarettes triggered the sprinklers above. :eek:

wp.jpg

i'm sorry i got side-tracked when bb-gun mentioned roy's memory shop...

I remember Roy and visited Camelot downtown. I gave most of my DC collection to Starbuck at Camelot for almost nothing. Third Planet, where I purchased most of my Conan collection, was closer to the Medical Center and a bar where the Banded Gekkos used to play folk music. Wrecked my liver there but don't blame the Shiner or the Lone Star beers. I probably picked up hepatitis A from St. Lukes Hospital or the local day care center.

Great convention pics! (thumbs u
I was at the '78 and '79 shows, but, alas, could find myself in none of those photos, although one dealer room photo looked like it was taken from the vantage of our table.