• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,403 posts in this topic

Here's an epic photo just posted by Roger Ebert:

2c%20142.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>%20142.jpg'>

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/photos-in-need-of-comment/masked-avenger-photo-for-223.html

Is this a known vintage costume...? Been awhile since I've read these, is it advertised in the books? Or just some sort of publicity photo?

That's Don Glut at one of the comics fandom events in the early sixties. The same picture is in Bill Schelly's book "Golden Age of Comics Fandom".

The boy in costume is identified as "Dave Armstrong at an early New York Comicon." The photo was taken by Larry Ivie.

Glut says it's him on his documentary "I was a Teenage Movie Maker"; he did have a Cap costume like that in one of his home movies. Whoever it is, it's a great costume to have been made by a kid.

I'll have to dig up my copy of Schelly's book and re-read the caption.

It is Dave Armstrong. Dave was (and is) the last acting president of the American Association of Comic Collectors (AACC) and is still actively collecting. He is also accumulating tons of film footage of interviews with creators from the golden age.

2c%20142.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>%20142.jpg'>

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/photos-in-need-of-comment/masked-avenger-photo-for-223.html

Is this a known vintage costume...? Been awhile since I've read these, is it advertised in the books? Or just some sort of publicity photo?

That's Don Glut at one of the comics fandom events in the early sixties. The same picture is in Bill Schelly's book "Golden Age of Comics Fandom".

The boy in costume is identified as "Dave Armstrong at an early New York Comicon." The photo was taken by Larry Ivie.

Glut says it's him on his documentary "I was a Teenage Movie Maker"; he did have a Cap costume like that in one of his home movies. Whoever it is, it's a great costume to have been made by a kid.

It is Dave Armstrong. Dave was (and is) the last acting president of the American Association of Comic Collectors (AACC) and is still actively collecting. He is also accumulating tons of film footage of interviews with creators from the golden age.

Thanks for providing a direct attribution, Richard. Speaking of active collectors, I just found out that Earl Blair (Capt. Bijou) whom I mentioned as a source for your collector history lecture awhile back, has moved back to Houston and sells memorabilia on ebay! I just picked up a Henry Brandon signed Drums of Fu Manchu lobby card from him within the past couple of weeks. Weird coincidence, huh?

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Speaking of active collectors, I just found out that Earl Blair (Capt. Bijou) whom I mentioned as a source for your collector history lecture awhile back, has moved back to Houston and sells memorabilia on ebay! I just picked up a Henry Brandon signed Drums of Fu Manchu lobby card from him within the past couple of weeks. Weird coincidence, huh?

Yes, more so by the fact that I was at a friend's house (an old acquaintance of Earl) this past week looking at a Drums of Fu Manchu title sheet. Freakin' beautiful.

Sounds like the kind of documentary I'd like to see.

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

I've read this whole thread. Amazing photos, but even more amazing how you all have figured out which issues were in each photo. Some of the comics in those photos were TINY and yet, I think you nailed them. What a pleasure to read this.

Sam

21-1480a.gif

Can anyone identify the Boy Comics or, what appears to me to be, the Laugh Comics?

i believe it is boy 5 & top-notch laugh 29.

this is another photo of the same kid by dorthea lange from the manzanar internment camp.

1808139-BoyComicsinManzanarRelocationCenter.jpg

there's been lots of neat pics of pulps & comics recently. i've been thinking of the upcoming wondercon so how about a few old pics from the san francisco area?

boys in a sf orphanage in 1951. looks like boy on right is reading heroic 61 and listening to a crystal radio?

sforphanage1951.jpg

one boy's dream is to be surrounded by comics and he gets to pick whatever he wants in a taylor street bookstore in 1946. on top of his stack is detective 104. recognize the other books?

SFtaylorcomicbooksstore1946.jpg

boys reading comics in sf chinatown in 1938. anyone recognize the comics? looks like boy on bottom is reading a comic with a western story.

sf1938.jpg

sailor reading wdc&s 69 across the bay at alameda naval air station in 1946

NASalameda40s.jpg

anyone recognize this san francisco collector? photo taken in 1975 by ted streshinsky. looks like wolverton original art at right. nice collection.

sf1975.jpg

photo of someone's collection taken by same photographer in san francisco 1978. (maybe from the collector above?) i like that target v1 #7 with the wolverton cover and the donald duck.

tedstreshinskysf78.jpg

photo of pulp collection taken in 1978 by same photographer.

mysterypulps.jpg