• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,497 posts in this topic

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I love this pic.

I wonder if the kid in the awesome costume was reading the book when it was fresh out of print or some time later. Considering Cap America #2 came out only a month after Cap America's first appearance, the kid discovered and liked the character pretty fast and had a very fast sewing mom :applause:

trades-2-ct.jpg

I seem to remember seeing this photo in an article about comic conventions in an old monster magazine (Monsters and Heroes? Castle of Frankenstein?). So it might be from the late 1960's, and the kid's in costume for the convention.

David Armstrong wears a homemade Captain America costume as he reads a Golden Age issue of Captain America Comics 2 during a 1960s convention. This photo saw print at least as early as Monsters and Heroes #5 (July 1969).

I wonder if the kid in the awesome costume was reading the book when it was fresh out of print or some time later. Considering Cap America #2 came out only a month after Cap America's first appearance, the kid discovered and liked the character pretty fast and had a very fast sewing mom :applause:

trades-2-ct.jpg

I seem to remember seeing this photo in an article about comic conventions in an old monster magazine (Monsters and Heroes? Castle of Frankenstein?). So it might be from the late 1960's, and the kid's in costume for the convention.

David Armstrong wears a homemade Captain America costume as he reads a Golden Age issue of Captain America Comics 2 during a 1960s convention. This photo saw print at least as early as Monsters and Heroes #5 (July 1969).

Jeff :hi:

trades-2-ct.jpg

Priceless photo. Outstanding.

I had lunch with Dave at San Diego last year.

Seriously?

Seriously. He is still very involved in comics and collecting. He was the final president of the old American Assoc. of Comic Collectors. He has avidly interviewed and filmed as many of the living early creators as possible with the hopes of eventually doing a documentary. He has 100s of hours of film compiled. He is still a huge fan. And while he is in great shape, sadly the Cap suit doesn't fit any longer.

Seriously?

Seriously. He is still very involved in comics and collecting. He was the final president of the old American Assoc. of Comic Collectors. He has avidly interviewed and filmed as many of the living early creators as possible with the hopes of eventually doing a documentary. He has 100s of hours of film compiled. He is still a huge fan. And while he is in great shape, sadly the Cap suit doesn't fit any longer.

That is awesome. Here's hoping that documentary gets done.

Seriously?

I believe MrBedrock is 6 degrees of separation from anything comic book related. :D

Seriously?

I believe MrBedrock is 6 degrees of separation from anything comic book related. :D

...and God bless him for it.

Seriously?

Am i the only one who lost consciousness at the mention of..has 100 of hours of film compiled.

He should really try the Kickstarter thing.

Seriously?

Am i the only one who lost consciousness at the mention of..has 100 of hours of film compiled.

He should really try the Kickstarter thing.

I don't think it is an issue of funding. He actually works in the entertainment industry, formerly as a programming exec for USA network and as creator of the Sci Fi Network. I think the issue is more how to present that much raw footage, in what format and manner.

Here's a fun one I don't recall seeing before:

tumblr_m7nqzs8Ndx1rnvulyo1_1280.jpg

Couple of pretty high grade looking copies there.

Here's the blurb accompanying the photo:

Don Phelps

Don Phelps Holds Up Rare Comic Books (1974)

Press Photo

“Don Phelps Of Boston Holds Up Two Of The Most Expensive Comics In His Collection. His Action Comics Has Been Sold For $4,000 And His Captain America Sold For $2,000.”

http://browsethestacks.tumblr.com/post/27900274429/don-phelps-don-phelps-holds-up-rare-comic-books