• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,396 posts in this topic

Did we forget to mention Rudy Vallee was the second one. I couldn't find the name of the dog but might be Marmaduke.

The Vagabond Lover also liked dogs. Didn't Harvey have a superhero with a name like that.

VPTrappedOnWax01.jpg

Thanks to the Kirby Museum

Edited by BB-Gun

And, I don't know who #7 is but I do recognize that Macy's Christmas advertising supplement as being an item I have in my collection.

I thought it was Jack Burnley :shrug:

Did we ever get the key to the test? :makepoint:

And, I don't know who #7 is but I do recognize that Macy's Christmas advertising supplement as being an item I have in my collection.

I thought it was Jack Burnley :shrug:

Did we ever get the key to the test? :makepoint:

sorry, i figured everyone got the right answers so there would be no need for me to answer.

but here's the answers:

1. joan crawford

2. rudy valee

3. jayne mansfield

4. gary cooper

5. harvey kurtzman

6. bob montana

7. mr & mrs jack burnley

8. jerry robinson

9. alan hale jr & bob denver reading a capt marvel comic (prop?)

10. mad #147 (NO!)

11. comics: tip top 178, tip topper 21, adventure into darkness 8, united comics 26, monty hall of the us marines 10, katy keane 9, comics on parade 88

Don't believe it's been or it has I don't recall it.

Great pics! I collect all Pulps from March 1942 so this is very close to my want list. In fact some of the pulps there are still on the stand from that time period.

Not sure if this has been posted before...

I'm providing the link so you can blow the picture up...

May 1942. "Southington, Connecticut. Where Southington folk buy their magazines." Photo by Fenno Jacobs, Office of War Information.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/16652

SHORPY_8d34747a2_zps1c29f4c8.jpg

looks like an Adventure 75 and Exciting 19 in lower left rack. And possibly a Supe 17 lower right rack/fourth row up/end book..?

May 1942. "Southington, Connecticut. Where Southington folk buy their magazines." Photo by Fenno Jacobs, Office of War Information.

looks like an Adventure 75 and Exciting 19 in lower left rack. And possibly a Supe 17 lower right rack/fourth row up/end book..?
and a pep 28 below the Supe...Marvel 32 to the right of the Pep...More Fun 81 up five rows from the Supe..?

and a pep 28 below the Supe...Marvel 32 to the right of the Pep...More Fun 81 up five rows from the Supe..?

Left rack: Cap Aero #6, Rangers #5, probably America's Best #1, Spy Smasher #5, Target v3 #5.

Right rack: Speed #19

Left rack: Cap Aero #6, Rangers #5, probably America's Best #1, Spy Smasher #5, Target v3 #5.

That's a really cool pic. Not many of these old photos include Nedors.

That's a really cool pic. Not many of these old photos include Nedors.

This is a fantastic pic since there are many highly desirable books on the racks.

Here's the comics I see on the racks:

Capt aero 6, rangers 5, america's best 1, spy smasher 5, adventure 75, exciting 19, target 29, four color 22 (don winslow), speed 19, walt disney comics & stories 21, military 10, uncle sam 3, top-notch laugh 28, bulletman 6, tip top 74, real life 6, champ 19, more fun 81, wings 23, king comics 75, super-mystery v3#2, red ryder 7, blue bolt 25, bill barnes 7, four color 2 (harold teen), choice 3, green hornet 7, heroic 12, superman 17, daredevil 11, jumbo 40, capt marvel 11, startling 15, pep 28, marvel mystery 33, doc savage 8, army & navy 5, shadow 17, sensation 7, human torch 7, feature 57, thrilling 28, master 27, sub-mariner 5, hit 22, action 50, flash 31 and an unknown tillie the toiler.

there's 5 more that are hard to identify.

Which one is the army navy 5. Early supersnipe. Or are you going to make me strain my eyes on my iPhone?

Which 5's were you not able to ID? Location?

Ill need to resurrect my old supersnipe thread and add this image.

I've marked the hard to identify books in red.

The blue ones are some of the more interesting or desirable books.

6. Action 50

7. Army & navy 5

8. Marvel mystery 33

9. Superman 17, hitler & Hirohito cover

10. Bill Barnes 7, japan atomic bombing story

a4aad1d565aa462622075de373f4b2f2_zpsdfa13c04.jpg