• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,396 posts in this topic

Nice pictures, as always.

People shouldn't put rocks on comics. (tsk)

here is evidence that Gift #3 was published in 1943 and not in 1949 as indicated in the Overstreet guide
Probably a copyright trap. I don't think many really thought it came out in '49.

Nice pictures, as always.

People shouldn't put rocks on comics. (tsk)

here is evidence that Gift #3 was published in 1943 and not in 1949 as indicated in the Overstreet guide
Probably a copyright trap. I don't think many really thought it came out in '49.

Kind of funny that a Christmas comic would still be on the stands in April. hm

Movie, not comic book related, but cool old photos I found on this site:

http://audioshark.org/general-off-topic-forums-103/outstanding-historical-photos-1743.html#.Uhaf9j9LjXk

Those are great pictures. This stood out to me -- Tough ladies... :o-

"Nightwitches - Female Russian bombers who bombed Germany during WW2. They had old, noisy planes & the engines used to conk out halfway through their missions, so they had to climb out on the wings mid-flight to restart the props. To stop Germans from hearing them & starting up the anti aircraft guns, they’d climb to a certain height, coast down to German positions, drop their bombs, restart their engines in midair & get the hell out of dodge. Their leader flew 200+ missions & was never captured."

Tough ladies... :o

New here

Been collecting sine late 70s sold all my unrestored books 2006 to buy a house live 45 north SF. I sold my

Batman 1 cgc 4.0 in 2006 for 13k

Batman 1 vg missing back cover 7k

Detective 3 and 4 to Ian Levine 11k

Cap 1 5.0 11k

Action 2 10 so on blew it big never got house and after Steven and vincent sold the 6.0 Action 1 for 317 everthing went up.

Just saw the Comic Con pics that G.A.tor had on this site e-mailed filter 81 from ebay fast reply thank you.

There some books would like to buy from you both

I want Action 7 had a copy but when i bought my Tec 27 from ernest gerber had my freind Mark Wilson restore the book and paid with Action 7.

I have heard lot of people complaine on Marks work i will tell you my Tec 1 and 27 that he did look great 30 years later no rust nothing My Bat 1 is 8.5 from mark looks great any ways would love to talk to GA tor on some books and filter81.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Here's my annual Thanksgiving comic-related quiz if you have time after family, food, football or holiday shopping.

Identify these people:

1. sundayfun40s_zpsf236503f.jpg

2. doberman_zpse79e0ff9.jpg

3. miltgirl_zps7990aa01.jpg

4. recordplayer_zpsb4a57a88.jpg

5. drink_zpsab00eef7.jpg

6. Rlamp_zpse7168641.jpg

7. NYWFC_zpsa6e51267.jpg

8. batsj_zps334d037f.jpg

9. Who are they and what are they reading?

gilligan_zpseabd21fe.jpg

10. Can you spot the MAD magazine in this Cambridge Mass. newsstand?

cambridgema_zps86a042cd.jpg

11. This is Marlowe's supermarket in Pawley Island South Carolina in 1953. That's Mr Marlowe in the picture.

marlowssuperpawleyislSC53_zps2ab26687.jpg

Here's a closeup of the comic rack. What comics can you see?

marlowscloseup_zpsd52bdba4.jpg

marlowscloseup_zpsd52bdba4.jpg

Looks like Monty Hall of the U.S. Marines #10

Tip Topper #15

I think I can also see a Nancy and Sluggo and a Katy Keene

Looks like a Tip Top and a Fritzi Ritz too but I can't make out the issues