• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,505 posts in this topic

On 5/30/2024 at 7:17 PM, Point Five said:

I went to the counter with my Spicy Detective, but when these ladies looked at me like this I just bought a candy bar and left.  :blush: 

I'd like to think the Olive Oyl type in the middle likes it Spicy :x

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 3:59 PM, RareHighGrade said:

I absolutely love this photo.  What I can't understand, however, is why there are two comics on the bottom shelf (NA #27 and Tec #16) that have ads for Action #1, but there is a copy of Action #2 on the top shelf?

:whatthe:@RareHighGrade you forgot More fun 32 has the add also.

Like the members on the board have been saying these books came out before the cover date.

I think they sold out Action 1 has a great cover and new superhero, so they had to put #2 out early.(shrug)

Edited by woowoo

On 5/30/2024 at 1:59 PM, Darwination said:

Heh heh, even more pleasing than children reading :D

unnamed.thumb.jpg.e3519763d86df2574cae582e2a727d5f.jpg

LouiseBrookswithSmartSetmagazine.jpg.645ffca3ac2338302d4c08d15b69bf1a.jpg

Louise Brooks + Henry Clive :x

That girl in the top photo looks like she was a Weird Tales model…

On 6/1/2024 at 10:16 PM, woowoo said:

Whiz 1 and I think Fantastic comics 3. Both books are from 2/40 Superman 3 Action 20 plus more.

image.thumb.jpeg.2bd1abe6441f55e074a0e2bc42e6aa04.jpeg

image.thumb.png.95c79304b82400b2aefbdf2e47259ee1.png

FANTASTIC COMICS #3: GOLDEN AGE SUPERHERO COMIC By Kari A Therrian & Publishers - Picture 1 of 1

Would be Nov-Dec, 1939 time period 

On 6/16/2024 at 1:35 AM, jpepx78 said:

Convention Memories

Here is a photo that reminded me of myself in my early collecting phase where I would be focused only on my little sub-genre of comics while ignoring other important books. Some of you may laugh, cry, yell or roll your eyes at this kid who is focused on gathering a stack of silver age Green Lantern books and ignoring the books on the table. Sharp-eyed collectors will notice on the table of EC books there is one the most desirable EC books (CSS 22) available. Some of you may think how could this (dumb?) kid miss out on those ECs especially the CSS 22? Here is some background info on the photo to consider. This photo was taken in the dealers room of the Noreascon convention held in Boston in September 1971. Noreascon I (Worldcon 1971) was an annual science fiction convention held in different cities that was focused on science fiction literature and was not a typical comic convention. This kid was probably more than a casual reader of science fiction to be interested in attending a sci-fi convention where the attendees were primarily adults. The dealers room had mostly sci-fi, fantasy books, magazines and pulps. He found one of the few dealers that had cheap recent back issue comics at 20 cents each and he was building a stack.  At the time ECs weren’t that expensive but probably were at least 10 or more times more expensive than the cheap comics so the kid opted for quantity over quality. Also the kid may not have any interest or knowledge of GA books. This was a missed opportunity.

noreascon_1971-3.jpg

That though also depends upon whether your definition of "opportunity" is anything other than financial. The post-WWII crime and horror genres don't float every collector's boat. I'm one of those collectors who are less interested in those genres than I am in Golden Age/Atom Age comics from other genres such as Funny Animal, Teen Humour, Western, War, Science Fiction, GGA and certain DC Superheroes.

:preach:

Edited by Hepcat