• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,410 posts in this topic

Btw, no NM copies of Joe Palooka will come out of that newsstand lol

you know, the one consistent thing I've seen across a lot of the photos I've collected... I'm amazed any books sold at retail back then (newsstand, bookstore, tobacco shop, wherever) have survived in any condition above poor. Those books were picked through, read, shoved back onto the shelf/spinner and eventually bought and shoved into a back pocket or elsewhere, read over and over, and then eventually stored away. All the more reason to appreciate the collections that have come to light.

and last update for me today... Ending on a more solemn image. From Dec 8th, 1941, one day after Pearl Harbor. You can just make out the top edge of some comics, to the right of the lantern base (World's Finest is easiest to see)...

Dec81941.jpg

Very interesting and historic photograph there....

Here is the "bookend" to that one.....

May 7th, 1945

5-7-45%20VE%20day%20picture.jpg

Thanks for that one!! I am recreating that display but for March 1942. Still, the same titles were on the stand.

For example, here are my March Thrilling Mystery and March Super Science - They would go at bottom left and bottom right :)

93128.jpg.4d983c20f22f6c8c47ef382986e2b87c.jpg

93129.jpg.be1fe4dc6318059920c18ec855fa72c1.jpg