• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 NEWSSTAND PIC TIME MACHINE JOURNEY INTO THE PAST
18 18

2,403 posts in this topic

HERE is the type of GOLDEN AGE TIME MACHINE Picture we all dream about, and since BANGZOOM has awed us with so many of his cool pictures...I felt that HERE is where it would be BEST PLACED.

In my never ending QUEST to find old newsstand pictures to DROOL over , I've found another.

I just can't get enough of these type of pictures.

For your viewing pleasure I present a newsstand picture with SEPT-OCT-NOV 1939 comics in PLAIN SITE.....WOW !!!!!

newsstandA1939.jpg

This is one of the oldest and clearest pics I've been able to discover.

SEE the comics ???? Top left...you can make out MORE FUN from a mile away.

WOW !!!!!!

NOW....try to determine which issues are present.

NEED A CLOSE-UP ??

I did too....upon magnifying the pic, some COOL DISCOVERIES come to light.....

1939closeup.jpg

I was able to place SIX comics, with the one on the bottom left taking me forever to ID....

HERE are the three obvious ones......

threefrom1939.jpg

GOOD LUCK identifying the other three comics.

The Grand Comic Book Database is truly one of our most useful tools.

THE FUN doesn't stop here as I have two more GOLDEN AGE newsstand pics to post later.

One of them is PRETTY COOL and one that is going to BLOW YOUR FRIGGIN' SOCKS OFF !!!!!!

I love pics like this one, it is so fun to see the comics in there original news stand goodness. My grandmother (god bless her) when see was a young adult worked in her fathers drug store. She started working there after she finished school in 1938. One of the items drug stores sold where of course comics. She told me (years ago) when she was working there and got bored she would read the comics. She said she remembers the first Action Comic when Superman debuted. She remembered "that issue where Batman killed with a gun" (Detective 32). It was a joy to chat with her about it. She has long since past and unfortunately she did not keep any of the comics except for one (many did not think too). But as a collector I have to laugh (to keep from crying) that my grandmother used to get boxes of mint comics that are worth so much today and read them as a young adult. If anyone is curious the comic she kept was a coverless Detective 32. When the person that delivered the new shipment of comics came every month they would take the issues that did not sell and rip off the covers and either throw them away or DC would sell them at a discounted price to stores that sold used comics at the time and the stores would sell them for 5c or less. She asked to keep a 32 that did not sell - the delivery guy ripped off the covers and gave it to her.

Here's a pic of the 32

IMG_0967.jpg

Very cool! And I love this 32 because of it.

that is a super cool story! Thanks for telling it...

Thanks, only problem is she didn't keep any others, :pullhair:

Looks like an issue of Comics on Parade #11 (cover date Feb. '39) on the far right, second row.

Arrrgggh...I wish this (and the prior) picture was larger.

This makes those Mr. Bailey Newsstand pics even COOLER.

These pics are just teasers.

If the print was larger, it would be cool.

Forum member kaylab has a really cool comic book related picture I hope he can post here.

No Comics, I don't think, but a cool 1936 newsstand photo, that I wish were larger too.

5-22-36%20newsstand%20chicago.jpg

So how rare is a picture of Action Comics #1 on a newstand? Does one even exist? Is it even rarer than a high grade copy itself?

Please dont count Micheal carbonaros ad.

I have an original 1938 COLOR Kodachrome newsstand picture with a prominently displayed ACTION # 1 and all the other comics !!!!!!

It looks like it was taken on a warm and sunny day, sometime in late MAY 1938.

It's truly breathtaking.

It just takes your breath away.

:acclaim:

I mean, "I wish I had....."

(sorry, bye the way, couldn't help myself)

I honestly spend a couple hours a week looking for old newsstand pics. I still keep finding them, so MAYBE (hopefully) a REAL GEM exists out there.

I've seen the INFAMOUS NYC newsstand with the bogus ACTION 1's photoshopped in, is the the Michael C. ad you speak of ?

So how rare is a picture of Action Comics #1 on a newstand? Does one even exist? Is it even rarer than a high grade copy itself?

Please dont count Micheal carbonaros ad.

I have an original 1938 COLOR Kodachrome newsstand picture with a prominently displayed ACTION # 1 and all the other comics !!!!!!

It looks like it was taken on a warm and sunny day, sometime in late MAY 1938.

It's truly breathtaking.

It just takes your breath away.

Please I [and we] would love to see it!

I mean, "I wish I had....."

(sorry, bye the way, couldn't help myself)

I honestly spend a couple hours a week looking for old newsstand pics. I still keep finding them, so MAYBE (hopefully) a REAL GEM exists out there.

I've seen the INFAMOUS NYC newsstand with the bogus ACTION 1's photoshopped in, is the the Michael C. ad you speak of ?

It could be issue 13 as well?

Above it is Star Comics v2 #1 Feb 1939 ???

Below it is King Comics 35 Feb 1939 ???

I'm pretty sure it is #11 - you can just make out Daisy Mae on the left of the cover.

I think Ace #23 is right below it.

I never ever have seen a Picture of an Action 1 from 1938 but when you think about it there has to be a picture of one on a newstand somewhere,there has to be,no?

You would think the guys at DC would have been excited enough about the publication of ACTION 1 that they would have made some type of historical documentation about it.

Maybe someone took a pic of it on the stands. Hopefully one day it will turn up.

5-22-36%20newsstand%20chicago.jpg

I see a Weird Tales and a Dime Mystery in the lower right. :headbang:

I wonder how the proprietress in this picture felt about those lurid covers. :blush:

She looks like she's dreaming of a muscular swordsman ripping her bodice...