• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do dust shadows bother you?

61 posts in this topic

It depends on grade of course but dust shadows is a hard defect to take, esp. on a 8.5. Heck they bother me on 4.5s. I shave my bids dramatically for dust shadow books b/c I really don't want to win them.

They don't stop me from buying, personally. However, I do find it hard to believe they graded that book higher than about 6.0 d/t the heavy shadowing. hm

I can never understand the significant bump, and blind eye they turn on key books and early Supes/Bats/Techs.

That particular dust shadow bothers me. But in general, very slight dust shadows don't bother me too much, especially if it is confined to the back cover.

A lot of Church books have slight dust shadows which I don't mind at all. They are part of the overall characteristics of that collection. Kind of like foxing on Larsons. I seem to be a heck more forgiving about foxing when it is on a Larson as compared to a non-ped book. It's a distinct marking of that provenance which almost gives it validation.

So I guess for me... it depends on the book.

A lot. Almost as much as water damage. I'm amazed that CGC has graded so high so many books with significant dust shadows.

Yes, on all points. The Oakland Strange Tales #167 has a dust shadow, and graded out at 9.4. And it was like kryptonite in my collection, I couldn't get rid of it quick enough! (it was bought off a small scan on ebay doh! )

It's at least possible that the shadow doesn't look as bad in hand. But from the scan, it's definitely a distraction. Makes the whole cover look askew, and yep, it would hold me back.

Given that it is a slabbed 8.5, I'd be surprised if an agreement can be reached on a fair discount.

Makes the whole cover look askew.

That's my biggest problem with it. If the dust shadow was in a straight line across the top of the book, I'd be much more interested in making an offer, but the odd angle of it almost makes the book look mis-cut, which it's not.

Makes the whole cover look askew.

That's my biggest problem with it. If the dust shadow was in a straight line across the top of the book, I'd be much more interested in making an offer, but the odd angle of it almost makes the book look mis-cut, which it's not.

It does kinda line up with the angle of the art on the cover though. So it is at least artistically pleasing. The shadows don't bother me much, but it sounds like I am a lonely voice in the wilderness (as is often the case).