• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got the bad news

16 posts in this topic

I had submitted my X-men 1 to CGC at WWLA and called for results.

xmen1.jpg

Grade 8.5 :) Slight (P) cleaned :sick:

I had expected to keep this book as long as I was in the Hobby, but now I am rethinking.

Any Ideas on how much it might go for if I decide to part with it?

That's not a bad strike at all.It might fetch more than you think.Some resto doesn't detract as much as other.I've seen books with staple cleaning,replacement,etc. go fairly high.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Well, GPA has an 8.5 SP which sold for $1251 back in 2002. An amateur 8.5 (trimmed) sold for $2500 in 2007 so I'd say yours could easily fetch $2250 or more.

Unfortunately, both those books were probably cracked out and sold raw for multiples. :(

I had expected to keep this book as long as I was in the Hobby, but now I am rethinking.

No. Who did you buy it from and how much did you pay? I am assuming the work was not disclosed. hm

I bought it from an LCS that went out of business at least 5 years ago.

I think I bought it closer to 10 years ago as a NM book, and absolutely nothing was said about restoration.

I think I paid close to 4000 as a combination of cash and trade and it took at least 6 months for me to pay off the book

xmen1.jpg

What is the technique for detecting that a book has been cleaned. Thanks.

xmen1.jpg

I believe that the designation Slight (P) cleaned means that the book was disassembled and the cover was aqueous-cleaned. One of the resto-wannabees ;) could probably chime in on the evidence that make this discernable to CGC. :grin:

Povertyrow has a web-essay that explains things to look for.

http://povertyrow.iwhd.net/comicrestor.htm

"FEEL the surface of the book. Should it have a gloss cover? If so does it feel slightly slick or does it feel slightly rough? If rough again angle it to a light and see if it appears matted. That could be age or it could be a wet wash.

Then examine the inside cover. If it seems unnaturally white with a slightly rough "tooth" to it, may have been subject to a water wash.. "

A wet wash will often shrink the cover so that it's a little smaller than the pages as well. Solvent washes can cause the inks to bleed through from one side to the other, but that can occur with age as well. It's kind of a gestalt, but the way it looks/feels is often the tell. Imagine what a piece of notebook paper feels like after it has been wet & dried relative to a new sheet.

I no longer buy any key or high grade books from dealers. I just go to eBay and look for the CGC book I want from someone with good positive Feedback. There are too many dealers who overgrade and sell restored books. How many times have people sent a dealer's 8.5 book to CGC and seen it come back 7.0 or worse? Dealers make subprime mortgage lenders look good.