• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping Ebay books to Italy?

26 posts in this topic

I have been asked to following question about one of my auctions that is ending Sunday evening.

"Hi, would you ship to Italy? If so, would you accept payment through Paypal? "

This guy has 100% positive feedback with 82 comments.

What do you guys do?

Any dangers I should look out for?

Personally I do not have any problems shipping outside the states, but I have never had to do it before.

Thanks for any input.

Shipping to Italy is a pain in the because Italy is not a member of the Global Postal Union (or whatever it is) so you can't use priority mail and can't track it using the USPS.

He's asking because shipping there is brutal. Tell him you'll only ship using FedEx or DHL, and he'll have to pay for it.

Shipping to Italy is a pain in the because Italy is not a member of the Global Postal Union (or whatever it is) so you can't use priority mail and can't track it using the USPS.

He's asking because shipping there is brutal. Tell him you'll only ship using FedEx or DHL, and he'll have to pay for it.

good idea, FD!

I've heard there are two countries in the E.U. that you should try to avoid shipping to, France and Mostly Italy. Something about their laws say they can receive product and then dispute payment and the burden is up to the seller or something and without proof of tracking you get screwed. Not sure of the particulars, but I would agree with the above post.

I've heard there are two countries in the E.U. that you should try to avoid shipping to, France and Mostly Italy. Something about their laws say they can receive product and then dispute payment and the burden is up to the seller or something and without proof of tracking you get screwed.

If you're talking about paypal, it's not the two above countries only, it's 98% of the world.

Paypal only confirms addresses in 4 or 5 countries...that's it

Having said that, Italy is one of the few places I don't feel comfortable sending to.

So many packages got "lost" in transit during the last few decades they basically got booted out of the Union postale universelle

I have shipped a few times to Italy, both slabbed books and original art, never had any issues. Their money is as green as anyones elses.

I hate to say this but I live in Italy and depending on what region you are sending it to and if the person you are sending to is Italian (or has an Italian last name) you could have troubles and it would surprise no American who has lived in Italy for any length of time (myself off and on for 8 years).

Obviously I can't talk hard numbers (don't have them) and we aren't even talking sizeable percentages but it isn't a joke not order electronics to a local address. Now, we are talking about comics, and too most people overseas - they just aren't a product worth boosting (label it books).

Nik has sent me a book here but that was via FPO which spends much of it's time in U.S Military hands (at least partly).

So overall I'd say you're safe because of the product we are talking but I wouldn't be sending anyone any IPhones to the Campania region :)

Thanks for all the input guys. So far it sounds like it is something I may avoid.

And cd4ever- I agree on the Carabba's love.

There is nothing better than Pollo Rosa Maria or Sirloin marsala. Yum.

I have shipped ALOT to Italy, mostly things like collectible card games, mostly 100 dollar or less items. Never had a problem. They shouldn't balk at shipping charges since the euro is doing so well now.

I shipped a slab to Italy Global Priority I believe at the beginning of December 2007 and it took over 60 days to clear customs and get delivered...I was concerned that the person purchased it as a Christmas gift but kept up the communication and sent the customs tkt number which was all I could do...they finally got it and were happy and left positive FB

I have been shipping comics to Italy using Priority Mail for a while now. I think something changed with the post office within the past year or so that allows Priority Mail to Italy. It still takes forever though. You can throw the 6-10 business day estimate that the USPS gives on their website out the window.

In regards to tracking, if you use an online service (Paypal, USPS.com, etc.) to generate the Priority Mail shipping label, it may or may not get scanned when you ship it. Some window clerks say they are not required to do so. When they don't scan it, there is no proof that you shipped it.

I have shipped many parcels to Italy, via Global express, regular/trackable express and via Priority mail, with no problems...all to folks that are native (last names, etc)

Every time I ship internationally I always lose on the amount of shipping; combine that with the added forms you have to complete and the customs processing and the longer ship times, and it makes it difficult to do. :shrug:

Customs opened a box I received last week and then closed it without any added tape and without returning the cushioning material. I don't see how I even got the book because when I got home the box was at the front door with the flaps open. If that happened and the book didn't arrive, the buyer would argue with you over it regardless of insurance.

Add that to the fact that you probably are not going to get any extra money for the headache, I am left wondering why do it at all.

Every time I ship internationally I always lose on the amount of shipping;

Very easy to work out the exact shipping online before you ask for payment, if you lose money it's because you aren't doing it correctly or want to give the buyer a break.

combine that with the added forms you have to complete

Most international shipping requires a small customs slip that takes less than 30 seconds to fill out.

and the customs processing and the longer ship times, and it makes it difficult to do. :shrug:

Why is this affecting you ? Buyers with even only half a clue know that it will take longer to ship the further they are away from the buyer and the customs issue isn't really your problem is it ?

Every time I ship internationally I always lose on the amount of shipping;

Very easy to work out the exact shipping online before you ask for payment, if you lose money it's because you aren't doing it correctly or want to give the buyer a break.

combine that with the added forms you have to complete

Most international shipping requires a small customs slip that takes less than 30 seconds to fill out.

and the customs processing and the longer ship times, and it makes it difficult to do. :shrug:

Why is this affecting you ? Buyers with even only half a clue know that it will take longer to ship the further they are away from the buyer and the customs issue isn't really your problem is it ?

If you are not a business, and therefore have no mailing scale, how do you weigh the box prior to taking it to the post office? If you box it up to take it in for weighing and calculation, then you just spent an uncompensated trip to the post office. At this point you could accurately give a shipping price, however,it just isn't that easy to do online unless you are ready to go as a business.

In terms of the custom forms, it takes longer than 30 seconds to make it through that if you are going to do it properly. Granted, if you ship internationally frequently, it would be faster, but many people do not and it is somewhat a pain. Also, you have to get the forms in the first place. So would that also be an additional trip to the post office (assuming you have a mailing scale and wouldn't need that extra trip above)?

The customs problems are always the sellers problems if it doesn't make it there. You can have all the disclaimers in the world, but if it is damaged, the buyer will try everything possible, including a paypal recovery, to get their money back. Also, if it takes 3 weeks to get there, and it is not trackable, that is just more stress to worry if it has made it or not, when if shipped domestically, it is easy to keep tabs on it and it only takes a few days. It is just less headache.

I am not saying that nobody should ship internationally, but my point is the hassle is present and if it is not compensable, then why bother. (Businesses set up to ship internationally would obviously be excluded from this analysis.) Any of the above issues would be worth bothering with for a price, but I have not seen that being the case. :shrug:

If you are not a business, and therefore have no mailing scale, how do you weigh the box prior to taking it to the post office? If you box it up to take it in for weighing and calculation, then you just spent an uncompensated trip to the post office.

In terms of the slip, it takes longer than 30 seconds to make it through that if you are going to do it properly. Granted, if you ship internationally frequently, it wouldn't take that long, but many people do not and it is somewhat a pain. Also, you have to get the slip in the first place. So would that be an additional trip to the post office (assuming you have a mailing scale and wouldn't need that extra trip).

The customs problems are always the sellers problems if it doesn't make it there. You can have all the disclaimers in the world, but if it is damaged, I buyer will try everything possible, including a paypal recovery, to get their money back. Even if the box is insured, it is quite difficult arguing that a damaged book is worthless if the goods are in the box and delivered with a signature. I had to make such an argument against UPS and was denied because none of those claim reps understand that every defect discounts the value say from a 9.6 to a 5.0 if the book is creased---they just show that the goods were delivered and made a token offer to make the claim go away.

I am not saying that nobody should ship internationally, but my point is the hassle is present and if it is not compensable, then why bother. (Businesses set up to ship internationally would obviously be excluded from this analysis.)

You're right, you're not up to it.