• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first ever visit to a LCS...not impressed

33 posts in this topic

Finally finished my exams. Hopped on a train to the city. Excited to finally visit a comic store. After a day of shopping and wandering around, I finally stumbled into my first LCS.

Quickly looking around, I cant hold back my excitement to scavenge through all these comics. After passing through the moderns and picking up a dozen or so moderns, I go to the back issue section. First modern back issues, and cival war spideys for example were going for $30!! Wtf? Forgot about those and went looking out for Silver Age comics, all I saw was overgraded, over priced, silver age comics. This made it worst with such a limited stock. After trying to reason with the clerk to reconsider some prices on a few SA spideys. Without any luck and coming home feeling empty, I retreated to reading some moderns. The End rantrant

I will say the big problem you faced was... it WAS your first trip to this store.

1)Most LCS wont deal with you unless they know you as a regular.

2)Most clerks don't have the right to knock the price down, talk to the owner or top dog.

3)All LCS are overpriced on back issues unless its "drek" and if you want good prices at a LCS see #1 and this will not always work.

So keep your chin up and next time you go make it on a wednesday and see all the comic geeks come out of the woodwork. lol

I don't how many stores are in your area, but I've usually had similar experiences with most of the shops in easy driving distance of home, too. A lot of LCSs seem to be focused on Moderns (reliable weekly cashflow), Toys/Statues (which appeal to even non comic-collectors), trading cards, etc. My regular shop probably stocks about 10,000 to 15,000 "back issues", but all the good stuff disappears quickly. My only success with them is usually when I pop in shortly after they've bought a collection.

I thought the post was going to be about how he tripped over the MAGIC THE GATHERING players trying to get to the back issues.

The other problem a lot of shops have is that they are more of a "clubhouse" for the owner and their friends, and typically these are guys who are into the roll playing games more then actually running a business.

I used to order the comics for my local shop.

GREAT guy who owns the store, but not so much of a guy who's knowledgeable about comics. Some action figures (natch, Star Wars only)....and roll playing games are more his thing. Oh, and sports memorablilia.

But he really tries to keep comics in stock for his customers.

Unfortunately, he doesn't understand how important it is to keep your stock organized, clean from clutter and most importantly...UNDAMAGED.

I only get into the shop once a month these days, but it breaks your heart to see so much of his stock scattered all over the place, books damaged with bent spines from people bending them back in the rack to see whats behind them, poorly stored books, bookd CRAMMED into boxes....

And yes, there are shops that have NO idea how to price books.

I was at a shop next town over once, and he had a glass case with some silver age in there and prices were marked double or tripple guide...if they were NM pricing. NONE of these books would fetch a fraction what he was asking.

When asked if he could move on the pricing, he said NO.

And I go to shows too where dealers are asking CRAZY prices on WAY way overgrade shlop. And I have to ask...if you didn't want to sell your books, why bring them? And the shop owner, I said, if you don't want to sell your books, why display them? You're not going to get an AF 15 price for a Fine+ copy of Tomb of Dracula #1, for example. (you get the idea.)

I don't how many stores are in your area, but I've usually had similar experiences with most of the shops in easy driving distance of home, too. .

Two, both in the city :(

Went to only one, next trip, I hope to visit the other one with more luck with the silver age stuff.

I thought the post was going to be about how he tripped over the MAGIC THE GATHERING players trying to get to the back issues.

The other problem a lot of shops have is that they are more of a "clubhouse" for the owner and their friends, and typically these are guys who are into the roll playing games more then actually running a business.

I used to order the comics for my local shop.

GREAT guy who owns the store, but not so much of a guy who's knowledgeable about comics. Some action figures (natch, Star Wars only)....and roll playing games are more his thing. Oh, and sports memorablilia.

But he really tries to keep comics in stock for his customers.

Unfortunately, he doesn't understand how important it is to keep your stock organized, clean from clutter and most importantly...UNDAMAGED.

I only get into the shop once a month these days, but it breaks your heart to see so much of his stock scattered all over the place, books damaged with bent spines from people bending them back in the rack to see whats behind them, poorly stored books, bookd CRAMMED into boxes....

And yes, there are shops that have NO idea how to price books.

I was at a shop next town over once, and he had a glass case with some silver age in there and prices were marked double or tripple guide...if they were NM pricing. NONE of these books would fetch a fraction what he was asking.

When asked if he could move on the pricing, he said NO.

And I go to shows too where dealers are asking CRAZY prices on WAY way overgrade shlop. And I have to ask...if you didn't want to sell your books, why bring them? And the shop owner, I said, if you don't want to sell your books, why display them? You're not going to get an AF 15 price for a Fine+ copy of Tomb of Dracula #1, for example. (you get the idea.)

It would be so interesting to see what they would pay for such a book.

And I have to ask...if you didn't want to sell your books, why bring them? And the shop owner, I said, if you don't want to sell your books, why display them?

I have been to alot of comic shops, and what Rich just said is one of the biggest problems. Most of the owners I run into just seem like uptight dorks who don't know, or care, about running a successful business. Not only do most of them not put any effort into sales, quite a few make it seem like I am wasting their precious time by wanting to take a look at wall books, or a book out of its bag.

The Great Escape in Nashville and Chicago Comics in Chicago are the two best stores I have been to in terms of moving merchandise. Their prices are reasonable to begin with and if something doesn't sell....get ready for it (crazy concept ahead)....they reduce the price or take offers! Nuts, I know! Unlike 99% of dumpy LCSs out there, they don't have a bunch of faded krap on the wall that's been there since 1987, and they don't look like you interruped their Doctor Who marathon when you ask to see a book on display.

My personal favorite is how many LCS owners treat a regular looking guy who wants to see their top end books. Many times I would have gotten less grief if I would have been asking Christy Turlington out. It's like they expect the guy to jump off the Monopoly box, adjust his monocle and hand them a bag of money for their sweet books. Clearly, I would just be window shopping. :screwy:

I agree with every post in this thread. allways a unpleasant experience when going to a LCS. my rule of thumb I always ask myself, is this a place you want to take your wife, girlfriend or your kids?

usually in my area some place moldy in a cellar with a unfriendly store owner who will bite your head of for disturbing him for asking a question.

unfortunately it`s only internet and cons now for me.

That's the #1 problem I have with my two LCS :censored:

I have been to alot of comic shops, and what Rich just said is one of the biggest problems. Most of the owners I run into just seem like uptight dorks who don't know, or care, about running a successful business. Not only do most of them not putting any effort into sales, quite a few make it seem like I am wasting their precious time by wanting to take a look at wall books, or a book out of its bag.

Maybe I've been lucky but my experience has typically been the opposite. In most of the stores I've visited over the last 5 years, the employees have offered their assistance and been generally in a good mood. Maybe it's because I go straight for the back issues...or give the impression, wrongly, of money... :grin:(shrug)

That's not to say I haven't seen the attitudes described here but they've thankfully been few...

Jim

Like I mentioned above, my LCS isn't very good at all for back issues. But, I should point out that the staff are quite friendly and fairly knowledgeable. The other day, I got to talking with Dale there (been there the longest, and he is their buyer). He described for me how he went about pricing and grading a collection of SA/BA Marvels that someone wanted to sell to the store. I didn't see the books, but he showed me a list of about 300 comics --- he had offered the guy $800 for the collection, which seemed more than fair to me. They will end up putting many of these on "the wall" behind the counter, and they will be a little over-priced, probably. But, I'll be ready for one of their holiday-weekend 30% off sales. That's how I end up filling some gaps now and then. Good guys, just spotty inventory.

Wow, I guess I am lucky with my LCS - to an extent. Only con about my LCS is the overpricing/overgrading of comics, but their are occasional good finds there. Do they match the pricing on these boards? No, but he is paying for staff and a building. However, he is up to offers on wall books and other back issues. The staff can't negotiate price and it has to be done by the owner, - which makes sense.

Problem looking at books on the wall? Nope, all staff are more than welcoming on pulling wall books to let you take out of the sleeve and fully inspect, including $500 GA books.

Selection? He has all the moderns, seemingly every TPB that has been printed, including a discount table for some TPB oldies/overstock. He has a good selection of back issues in long boxes that I love looking through, as they are somewhat out of order (numerically).

Staff? As mentioned above, very courteous, but more knowledgeable in the non comic merchandise in the store, but knowledgeable enough to be a genuine help on some items.

Other Customers? Yes, they are loaded with the Magic crowd or whatever fantasy card game stuff it is. But this store is managed well and there is space for all.

Personally I get spoiled by pricing on this forum for some books, but I am a believer in supporting local LCS - as long as they are reasonable and courteous. I refuse to shop with butt-wipe owners/managers. (Which has helped me weed out some Flyshops that I used to do businesss with.)

Good luck with your next LCS

Can I ask just what civil war books it was you were trying to get that were that high priced?.. :D What are the odds that some of them were limited variants of a 1:25 - or whatever ratio?.. I know they had more than a few for that series...

My shop tends to price those between $10 for the lower ratio run & up to $30-50 when it gets into the 1:75-100 ratio....

I just paid slightly under $30 for the secret invasion yu 1:75 cover my self :S With those You don't feel too bad paying that price though because odds are the dealer will still have a bunch of those books 2-3 months from now

i'm so glad all my past lcs' were very good dealers and lasted for so many years: A1 comics (sacremento), comic outpost (sf), c&c central, heroes (san jose).

the Heroes comic shop is the best ive been to. they have such a great run of spideys for sale and good quality back issues. too bad they just ended their $1 sale where everything under $9.99 was $1 but they still have 50% guide on everything.

One of my local shops makes for an interesting visit when a new collection of silver surfaces. I can't be sure, but I think they price the books according to how much the store owner likes the cover.

Can I ask just what civil war books it was you were trying to get that were that high priced?.. :D

It was an Amazing Spiderman #529. The only other spidey back issues was from the Other Arc and they were going for $16 each.