• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1 on ebay misrepresented???

126 posts in this topic

It was really hard to try and read that without any paragraph breaks.

Did he address Esquire's accusations that he isn't paying money to people he owes?

I dont think so

Actually it is Jortner that owes the money, not Gus.

The reference "Gus" (assuming this is actually him) makes to Jortner not being part of his company is no doubt a direct response to recent communications I had with "Gus".

Time will tell. Actually, Friday in fact. :gossip:

At this point Gus, that sorry excuse of a reply to all of the shananigans you are involved in is just pathetic. No one here is buying it. You're pretty much on Danny Dupcak/Jason Ewert level as far as I'm concerned.

... In many instances I dont have the book in my possession to give more revealing details to potential buyers...

I assume you did not have the Action #1 in your possession so how were you able to answer my queries regarding what was not done to the cover? As an aside, Bluechip noted you recommended the very high reserve for that book. What is the future of the Action #1? Will it be relisted with more complete information?

That's an awfully good point about the pre-approval bidding requirement on the Action #1. And I guess it must mean that Bluechip was "vetted" to bid on his own book?

So many questions....

Excellent question. How did Bluechip get on the pre-approval list to bid on his own book? :gossip:

Concerning the improper grading of books,with the Germany collection the restoration was noted on almost every book,many times the anamolies in grading come from the fact that the owner has optimistically overgraded his book and I try to bring him down to earth by talking about the books defects on the phone and by utilizing his scans that are sent to me.

Gus, thanks for taking the time to post considering your hectic schedule.

One Q: is the "Germany collection" that of the international man of mystery, Wilhelm Uthe?

That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this. On top of everything else, it looks like Silver Age is "laundering" books from Uthe! doh!

That's an awfully good point about the pre-approval bidding requirement on the Action #1. And I guess it must mean that Bluechip was "vetted" to bid on his own book?

So many questions....

Excellent question. How did Bluechip get on the pre-approval list to bid on his own book? :gossip:

$20 says the answer is "I didn't know his Ebay ID" (shrug)

Interesting that "Gus" registered on the forum in December 2006 but his first post was April 2008. Probably doesn't mean anything in the slightest but just seemed "interesting". hm

Very good questions have already been posted. If I add to them it will just feel like cross-examination so let's see what answers, if any, ever appear. :popcorn:

Concerning the improper grading of books,with the Germany collection the restoration was noted on almost every book,many times the anamolies in grading come from the fact that the owner has optimistically overgraded his book and I try to bring him down to earth by talking about the books defects on the phone and by utilizing his scans that are sent to me.

Gus, thanks for taking the time to post considering your hectic schedule.

One Q: is the "Germany collection" that of the international man of mystery, Wilhelm Uthe?

That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I read this. On top of everything else, it looks like Silver Age is "laundering" books from Uthe! doh!

And just to add to this, it looks like the underbidder on a few of the Action auctions (which seem to have gone way too high) is a low feedback bidder from Germany. hm

guys and gals, irregardless of what has been said or infered, it is very easy for one to look at bidding history, and "see" what is truly taking place

It appears that Im in in the very strange position of having to defend myself to the comic book community after 17 years of dealing fairly and having a fairly impeccable ebay record of over 4,000 thousand positive feedbacks and negative feedbacks that can be counted on one hand over a 10 year selling track record.This is gus at silverage comics and I have to confess up till now I didnt pay attention to or perused any of the chat boards.I will try to take each allegation that I have read and respond to it.I have been on a buying/consignment spree of late.As with any new venture problems arise,and theres a learning curve involved.To answer the people who say I havent mailed packages promptly,or been there to answer peoples questions concerning on what they want to bid on.In many instances I dont have the book in my possession to give more revealing details to potential buyers,sometimes the owner of the books arent happy about the final selling price and after having to wait a few weeks Im told that they arent going to release the books at auction's end.In every case I deal with people fairly and with respect and do my best to try to make them happy if they are only getting 3 of the 4 books they've won.Concerning the improper grading of books,with the Germany collection the restoration was noted on almost every book,many times the anamolies in grading come from the fact that the owner has optimistically overgraded his book and I try to bring him down to earth by talking about the books defects on the phone and by utilizing his scans that are sent to me.Again if anyone had a severe discrepancy money is refunded or there is a bit of a financial ammendment.To discuss the shiiling aspects,I DONT endorse or encourage this activity,unfortunately I didnt think to police the people who wanted to sell their books thru me.I have immediately pulled some auctions that were suspicious and now I ask consignors what their ebay handle is so can be more on top of activity that is unethical.We have been selling some nice stuff of late and have many more satisfied customers than malcontants.I want everyone to be happy and to bid with confidence when visiting my site.I havent been as available as I would have liked the last 6 weeks because I closed my nyc location because my lease was up and the landlord doubled my rent.Ive been a solid citizen for years,a nice guy easy to deal with.The final point Id like to make is Greg Jortner ISNT my partner nor a part of SilverAge comics.I have to admit that I bought into Greg's vision of making my site a premiere site where everything is truly a 99 cent let her rip affair with no book big,small,rare or common held back.Greg's role is he finds books that I sometimes purchase outright or sets up consignments where unfortunately some collectors think they should get Declaration of Independance type prices which is why I took the consignments because they have irrational opinions of what their books are actually worth.This hasnt worked out to my expectations,fees have been astronomical,I have a larger percentage of books that are unaccounted for after auctions end and I would be more inclined to attribute that to some peoples eyes are bigger than their wallets when they saw the selection offered on my site the last 6 months rather than the widespread shiiling thats being bandied about.I hope Ive satisfied and answered at least a portion of the speculation thats out there,in the future Im going to try to have some of the consignment books in house hoping that alleviates some of the noise as well as continuing to put quality stuff that I purchase....hey like most out there Im a comic fan at heart respectfully Gus Poulakas

I guess this was a hit & run post? hm

Just like Bluechip who has all but disappeared. Sorry Gus but you are running a pretty sketchy set up and everyone is scrambling contradicting each other, its just ridiculous. Only now do you chime in when you feel the heat around the corner.

Just like Bluechip who has all but disappeared. Sorry Gus but you are running a pretty sketchy set up and everyone is scrambling contradicting each other, its just ridiculous. Only now do you chime in when you feel the heat around the corner.

And the red-hot poker sneaking up on him from behind.

guys and gals, irregardless of what has been said or infered, it is very easy for one to look at bidding history, and "see" what is truly taking place

Yes, but will it stop you from bidding on their auctions?

Yes, but will it stop you from bidding on their auctions?

absolutely 100% has stopped me (the shilling and the misrepresentation ,etc)