• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 DC Key comics from the SilverAge?

51 posts in this topic

I agree Jeff.... now, granted, I am biased in the other direction completely.

I think OAAW #83 deserves a place on the list.

Let's remember that so many of DC's big Silver Age stars were retreads of their Golden Age couterparts. Sgt. Rock was THE MOST SUCCESSFUL Silver Age DC character that was actually created in the Silver Age.

The character ran as a headlining feature for an astonishing 338 issues, from OAAW #83 up to Sgt. Rock #421. That was essentially a 30 year run. Along the way, the character sold - literally - tens of millions of books for DC.

And the character remains revered today, and relevant today - so much so, that DC continues to publish with the character every few years.

I want to take nothing away from many of the other Silver Age books mentioned here. But to not include OAAW #83 on a list of top 10 Silver Age DC books? Serious over-look in my humble opinion.

Shep

btw.... Krytpo?

DUDES!!!!!!!!!

Ah, lots of fun here!

1. Showcase 4- 1st app. of SA Flash

2. Brave and Bold 28 - 1st app of JLA

3. Flash 123 - Flash of two worlds (think about the ramifications of this book)

4. Adventure Comics 247- 1st app of Legion of SuperHeroes

5. Showcase 22

6. OOAW 83

7. Action 252

8. Showcase 34-1st app of SA Atom

9. Brave and Bold 34- 1st app of SA Hawkman

10. Showcase 9

I alluded to it on my list, but really stop and think about the long lasting ramifications and what Flash 123 introduced... it essentially merged (somewhat) cohesively the GA and SA heroes in some semblence of reality (though they existed on different worlds). I thought this book was not only a great story from the first time I read it... but also a landmark that has lasting effects even in today's continuity.

Tec 225 has to be the most over rated comic in the history of Overstreet. It should be broken out but he's a pretty weak character IMO. And which came first, Doom Patrol or SC 6 w Challengers? I think those both influenced the creation of the X-men so would give the first of those two a nod up.

Showcase 6 by about six and a half years.

I'd argue pretty strongly that MGA 80 is definitely deserving of some attention when we are discussing SA DC keys, were I not still needing a copy and in no real hurry to push prices any higher

Our Army at War 83 should replace OAAW 81 as the start of Sgt. Rock for reasons described in Chris Pedrin's Guide to the DC Big 5 War Comics.

I'm old school and will always consider OOAW 81 as the first Sgt Rock. :sumo:

Ok, my list, in order:

1. Showcase 4 (yawn, obligitory)

2. BB 28 (probably woke Stan Lee up when this one came out)

3. Adventure 247 (still being published today, small but loyal fan base 40 years later)

4. Our Army at Way 83 - First Sgt. Rock, NUFF SAID!

5. Flash 123 - GA meets SA!

6. Showcase 22 - GL

7. Showcase 6 (Kirby team book, DC was starting to experiment)

8. My Greatest Adventure 80 (Yes, it did come out before the X-MEN, and the similarities are there)

9. Detective 327 (Carmine Infantino dragged Batman out of the monster era!)

10. JLA 1

I would personally have to give the nod here to JLA 1 before 1st Hawkman appearance, 1st Atom appearance, or Flash 105 or other Flash Showcase issues. The JLA is the FF of the DC universe. Those second string heroes would dominate the 11-20 postions, but I just can't see any of them being more important than JLA 1

Our Army at War 83 should replace OAAW 81 as the start of Sgt. Rock for reasons described in Chris Pedrin's Guide to the DC Big 5 War Comics.

I'm old school and will always consider OOAW 81 as the first Sgt Rock. :sumo:

And Columbus discovered "America", Watt the steam engine, and Fulton the steamboat. (thumbs u

Ok, my list, in order:

1. Showcase 4 (yawn, obligitory)

2. BB 28 (probably woke Stan Lee up when this one came out)

3. Adventure 247 (still being published today, small but loyal fan base 40 years later)

4. Our Army at Way 83 - First Sgt. Rock, NUFF SAID!

5. Flash 123 - GA meets SA!

6. Showcase 22 - GL

7. Showcase 6 (Kirby team book, DC was starting to experiment)

8. My Greatest Adventure 80 (Yes, it did come out before the X-MEN, and the similarities are there)

9. Detective 327 (Carmine Infantino dragged Batman out of the monster era!)

10. JLA 1

I would personally have to give the nod here to JLA 1 before 1st Hawkman appearance, 1st Atom appearance, or Flash 105 or other Flash Showcase issues. The JLA is the FF of the DC universe. Those second string heroes would dominate the 11-20 postions, but I just can't see any of them being more important than JLA 1

I like your inclusion of tec 327, overlooked important book. I don't know if it would make top 10 in my book, but good to see it noted.

I look at books like Tec #327 & 395 as the equivalent of today's "New #1" with a creative team relaunch/ new direction.

And on that note, I'd place House of Mystery #175 on the list. Think about the impact of horror on comics from that point on in all titles, all companies. Instead of splitting hairs about Atom or Hawkman being more relevant, they are both more of the same, HOM 175 is a radical difference. And I count 175 as the trailblazer, 174 is just more like 1950's HOM with a scarier cover, 175 introduces Cain, new Artists & new ideas.

My much more standard list, focused on what was important in the SA:

1. Showcase 4

2. BB 28

3. Showcase 22

4. Flash 105

5. JLA 1

6. Adventure 247--Legion

7. Showcase 34--Atom

8. Brave and Bold 34--Hawkman

9. Showcase 6--Challengers

10. Green Lantern 1

Pretty standard, widely accepted top 10. But the second 10 is where it gets interesting to me...

11. Showcase 1--First try-out book begins.

12. Action 242--First Brainiac, city of Kandor, and the SA expansion of Superman story begins.

13. Action 252--Supergirl

14. OAW 83--Sgt Rock, DC's classic war hero

15. Showcase 17--Adam Strange, DC's classic sci-fi hero

16. Showcase 9--Lois Lane tryout

17. Brave and Bold 1--Second tryout book begins

18. Flash 123--First GA character resurrected

19. Showcase 30--Aquaman tryout begins

20. Showcase 27--Sea Devils tryout begins

I have always been a Marvel collector from the SilverAge. If I had to pick the top 10 Key comics from them it would be the following:

Amazing Fantasy #15

Amazing Spider-man #1

Avengers #1

DareDevil #1

Fantastic Four #1

Fantastic Four #48

Incredible Hulk #1

Journey Into Mystery #83

Tales of Suspens #39

X-Men #1

But as the title says, what would you consider the top 10 SilverAge key comics from DC?

I would disagree with your Marvel list, BTW :gossip:

I agree Jeff.... now, granted, I am biased in the other direction completely.

I think OAAW #83 deserves a place on the list.

Let's remember that so many of DC's big Silver Age stars were retreads of their Golden Age couterparts. Sgt. Rock was THE MOST SUCCESSFUL Silver Age DC character that was actually created in the Silver Age.

The character ran as a headlining feature for an astonishing 338 issues, from OAAW #83 up to Sgt. Rock #421. That was essentially a 30 year run. Along the way, the character sold - literally - tens of millions of books for DC.

And the character remains revered today, and relevant today - so much so, that DC continues to publish with the character every few years.

I want to take nothing away from many of the other Silver Age books mentioned here. But to not include OAAW #83 on a list of top 10 Silver Age DC books? Serious over-look in my humble opinion.

Shep

btw.... Krytpo?

DUDES!!!!!!!!!

Well said Shep.

I'm puzzled by the inclusion of such books as the Showcase books featuring 1st SA appearances of characters like the Atom and Hawkman. Not only are they GA retreads but they didn't have anywhere near the success that a character like Sgt Rock did.

However, it's all subjective. That's what makes these topics fun to debate. Hell, I'd throw GIC 87 in there as well. The Haunted Tank ran for almost as long as Sgt Rock did. You can't deny or ignore that longevity.

I'm puzzled by the inclusion of such books as the Showcase books featuring 1st SA appearances of characters like the Atom and Hawkman.

Well, I included them because of Gary Carter's article in Overstreet #20, "The Seven Wonders of the Silver Age World". It's amazing how one little piece like that can influence you. I was very new to collecting then and really took stuff to heart. I still think those comics belong on the list.

One that has not been mentioned is Flash 110. This is the introduction of Kid Flash and Wally West. He was a star in two long running series Teen Titans and New Teen Titans. He appeared a lot in the Flash series. He has had a major DC Title since 1987. I would think that would make him more important than Atom or Hawkman as far as current importance to the DC Universe is concerned.

Ah, lots of fun here!

1. Showcase 4- 1st app. of SA Flash

2. Brave and Bold 28 - 1st app of JLA

3. Flash 123 - Flash of two worlds (think about the ramifications of this book)

4. Adventure Comics 247- 1st app of Legion of SuperHeroes

5. Showcase 22

6. OOAW 83

7. Action 252

8. Showcase 34-1st app of SA Atom

9. Brave and Bold 34- 1st app of SA Hawkman

10. Showcase 9

I alluded to it on my list, but really stop and think about the long lasting ramifications and what Flash 123 introduced... it essentially merged (somewhat) cohesively the GA and SA heroes in some semblence of reality (though they existed on different worlds). I thought this book was not only a great story from the first time I read it... but also a landmark that has lasting effects even in today's continuity.

I definitely agree with your top 4 - and I have to think more about the last 6.

Re: Flash 123 - people underestimate the importance of this book - not only on DC comic continuity, but also on comic book collector demographics. Prior to this, comics were for kids. Flash 123 represents a turning point where comics started to be marketed toward older and older readers. Not necessarily 123 itself, but it opened the door for more developed (note I'm not saying mature) minds to question the continuity between DC's Earth 1 and Earth 2. This eventually leads to DC painting itself into a corner and saying, "F-it, we'll just blow everything up and reset it" with Crisis. Thousands of uber-dorks who can't separate reality from comic books complained to DC about continuity, and the squeaky wheel got the grease. The complexity of it all probably scared off the younger reader who was totally happy with people jumping back and forth between worlds as long as there were martians and frog-men.

I'm puzzled by the inclusion of such books as the Showcase books featuring 1st SA appearances of characters like the Atom and Hawkman.

Well, I included them because of Gary Carter's article in Overstreet #20, "The Seven Wonders of the Silver Age World". It's amazing how one little piece like that can influence you. I was very new to collecting then and really took stuff to heart. I still think those comics belong on the list.

Really, are there many Silver Hawkman or Atom collectors out there? I think Superboy, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are more popular and important to the DC universe.

Really, are there many Silver Hawkman or Atom collectors out there? I think Superboy, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are more popular and important to the DC universe.

I collect both those series, and consider them much more important than the Superman Family spinoffs. In addition to classic Kubert, Anderson, and Kane art, Hawkman and Atom (along with Flash and Green Lantern) were central to the early SA resurrection of the superhero genre.

1. Showcase 4- 1st app. of SA Flash and 1st SA comic

2. Brave and Bold 28- 1st app of JLA

3. Showcase 22-1st app. of SA Green Lantern

4. Flash 105-1st issue of SA Flash series

5. Justice League of America 1

6. Adventure Comics 247- 1st app of Legion of SuperHeroes

7. Green Lantern 1

8. Brave and Bold 34- 1st app of SA Hawkman

9. Showcase 34-1st app of SA Atom

10. Showcase 8- 2nd SA app of Flash

I agree with most of this list, but...I would throw out B & B 34 and Showcase 8. To be replaced with GL 40 and Flash 123. These books set the tone for much of the DC future. Just my 2 cents, and I'm a GL and Flash fanatic as well. Maybe we should enlarge the list to 25.

Flash 123 yes but not GL 40. IMO it has had its moment in the sun when Crisis came out . But now its just a panel in a single comic and a concept that wasnt touched upon for 20 years.

totally agree