• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 DC Key comics from the SilverAge?

51 posts in this topic

I think any book the deals with Earth-2 and the reintroduction of the golden age dudes is more important to DC than their second team heroes. The whole Earth-2 deal set DC up for 50 years of history and storylines that are still playing out today.

8. Brave and Bold 34- 1st app of SA Hawkman

9. Showcase 34-1st app of SA Atom

10. Showcase 8- 2nd SA app of Flash

I believe the significance of JLA #21 -reintro of JSA- outweighs these three.

But I'm biased. :)

Rick

both JLA 21 and Flash 123 are far, far more important than the incredibly over rated Showcase 8 and certainly more than B&B 34 and Showcase 34.

The complexity of it all probably scared off the younger reader who was totally happy with people jumping back and forth between worlds as long as there were martians and frog-men.

You forgot intelligent gorillas. (thumbs u

Originally Posted By: JLA_all_the_way
 Quote:

But I'm biased. \:\)

Rick

both JLA 21 and Flash 123 are far, far more important than the incredibly over rated Showcase 8 and certainly more than B&B 34 and Showcase 34.

Hawkman and Atom are key superheros of the SA that have continued through to today so while Flash 123 is more important than either I would suggest that JLA 21 is less so.

I'm old school and will always consider OOAW 81 as the first Sgt Rock.

I thought so too, until I read OAAW 83. :baiting:

I bought OAAW 81 years ago (before Chris Pedrin's Big-5 book was published), thinking it was the 1st Sgt. Rock, but when I read the story it didn't quite seem like a true Sgt. Rock appearance.

Cool topic and one where i have some real interest....

Many of these lists are quite worthy and the only way to draw any potential conclusions is with a Poll.

personally, i'd go with the following (which, of course, reflects my personal bias);

1. Showcase # 4 ( the only book and position on the list that i find unassailable).

2. B&B 28

3. Showcase # 22

4. Flash # 123 (Brian and i got to debate the importance of this book with Steve B earlier this year in NYC).

5. Adventure # 247 (never one of my faves but no denying it's rightful place).

6. Action # 252

7. JLA # 21

8. OOAW # 81(according to Joe Kubert, no less, it's the first).

9. B&B # 34

10. Showcase # 34

Really, are there many Silver Hawkman or Atom collectors out there? I think Superboy, Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are more popular and important to the DC universe.

I don't know how many other people collect them, but I have complete runs of both. They were good science-fiction based superhero titles.

I usually made a priority of collecting the 1st appearances of SA characters before going after the entire series, and Showcase 34 and B&B 34 were high on the priority list, so I guess they would be somewhere in my top 10 keys.

I also collected long runs of Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, and Superboy too. I think JO 1 is an important key but not really a Silver book. Showcase 9 is an important key too but didn't introduce a new character. Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, & Hawkman may be viewed as re-treads by some, but they were freshened up and given new origins and costumes, essentially becoming new again. Anyway, I went after Showcase 4, 22, 34 and B&B 28 & 34 before I got JO 1 and Showcase 9, so I suppose I viewed the former as more representative and essential SA keys. Heck, I love the SA, they're all essential. :cloud9:

Originally Posted By: JLA_all_the_way
 Quote:

But I'm biased. \:\)

Rick

not so much JLA 21. That would be knocked down to second appearance, like SHowcase 8, 23, 35 etc. Sure the concept of GA returning heroes was expanded in 21, but so are all number 2 issues.